All things Metrum Acoustics
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #1,441 of 1,451
There are difference licenses

I would suggest the latest Pi5. The pi5 board has the same layout as the pi3. So you don't have to unscrew the toroidal transformer and reposition it inside the case. Unfortunately I guess no one already tried to install a pi5. So I don't know for sure that it will work.
I've installed GTP today, and have a trial license, then i enable the Roon Bridge, but i still disappear in my roon player. don't know why~ can not found in Roon Setting > audio

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #1,442 of 1,451
I've installed GTP today, and have a trial license, then i enable the Roon Bridge, but i still disappear in my roon player. don't know why~ can not found in Roon Setting > audio
ok finally success:
Enable Roon bridge
Select Dac to HifiBerry Digi+ Pro
Select Profile 1
Set Governor > Enable > Performance

but the blue led still blinking!

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #1,443 of 1,451
but the blue led still blinking!
You can fix this by adding a startup script (please note that startup scripts will only work on 'normal' kernels. For TEST-kernels it won't work)

Go to 07. Home System -> 06. Execute Command1, choose Edit start script and click Execute
Type '2' at your input (add) and hit Enter
Type 'AmbreLed' at your input (or a preferred name)
Open the link from the console view

Add the following script code and save it (CTRL+O). Reboot the Ambre.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Metrum Acoustics Ambre - blue LED control
#

echo "27" > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio27/direction
echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio27/value

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #1,444 of 1,451
You can fix this by adding a startup script (please note that startup scripts will only work on 'normal' kernels. For TEST-kernels it won't work)

Go to 07. Home System -> 06. Execute Command1, choose Edit start script and click Execute
Type '2' at your input (add) and hit Enter
Type 'AmbreLed' at your input (or a preferred name)
Open the link from the console view

Add the following script code and save it (CTRL+O). Reboot the Ambre.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Metrum Acoustics Ambre - blue LED control
#

echo "27" > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio27/direction
echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio27/value
Great! Thanks Peetr!!
I'll try to fix it after trial!

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #1,446 of 1,451
Has anybody compared the AES versus the USB connection of the Onyx?
I can remember I've ever read about initial problems with the USB module??
Can't really answer, as I never used the USB input of the Onyx--as I never use the output of any DAC here. I've used SPDIF converters for years, and in the past 3-4 years, moved to DDC (digital-to-digital convertors by Matrix Audio).

In both cases, the computer (or streamer's) USB output goes to the SPDIF converter or DDC, and from there either a SPDIF cable (coax or toslink) or AES cable goes into the DAC.
  • 10-15 yrs ago it was pretty common to have poorly implement or poorly isolated (ie no galvanic isolation) USB input sections on DACs, so I got out of the habit of using them at all.
  • Some current DACs still have USB input sections that are not state of the art. I have no idea if the Onyx is one of those.
FWIW, I did compare an expensive, good-sounding coax input cable to AES cable into the Onyx, and heard very little difference.

Net/net: I'm guessing any good coax or AES cable coming from a SPDIF converter or DDC to the Onyx will outperform a USB cable coming to the DAC. But it's just a guess on my part.

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #1,448 of 1,451
seriously tempted by the Metrum Forte amplifier (to "match" my Adagio)
does someone here have first-hand experience with it?
(current ampli is a FirstWatt SIT-3)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #1,449 of 1,451
seriously tempted by the Metrum Forte amplifier (to "match" my Adagio)
does someone here have first-hand experience with it?
(current ampli is a FirstWatt SIT-3)
I did. It was excellent.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #1,451 of 1,451
:sunglasses:

Attachments

• Enlight1195.jpeg
    Enlight1195.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back