All things Metrum Acoustics
Feb 28, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #1,427 of 1,451
Hey that’s me.
This is from Sonnet Morpheus but similar switch is inside Onyx as well I believe. New one though, atleast in Sonnet, has been replaced with jumper cable but still can be managed by end user. So do check with Metrum on new one. Old one had these switches.

IMG_1601.jpeg
There is such a switch inside Ambre also. My first one arrived wrongly set from the factory and blew up 🤣

The replacement is still soldiering on...

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #1,428 of 1,451
I came along this classified . The seller says there's a switch inside the Onyx DAC to adjust the voltage. Can somebody tell me more about that (hopefully with a picture)?
Couldn't find exactly what I wanted but this from Jade I think & might help.

Attachments

• Jumpers.JPG
    Jumpers.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 29, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,430 of 1,451
@BlackMagic : thx for this picture, yeah that might be useful (although the Jade has of course an integrated pre amp functionality and I don't know how different the PCB's are of the Jade versus the Onyx)...
Easiest way to find out is take the lid off one or check-in with Roelof at Metrum to find out.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #1,432 of 1,451
Dear All,

is that change to Gentooplay inside Ambre sound better than the original software?
Thanks for waiting advise : )

roon > ambre > adagio dac 2
Gentooplayer sounds way better than the original software. And even Gentooplayer improves almost every new release and new kernel that is added to it.
I'm running Ambre using I2S, can imagine that the difference in sound quality is less on other outputs.
I bought an unlimited license. There are other licenses as well but most of them won't work on Raspberry pi 3B I think.

Maybe I'll try to experiment with Raspberry pi 5 inside the Ambre in the near future. I'm curious about the differences compared to Pi3B.

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #1,433 of 1,451
Gentooplayer sounds way better than the original software. And even Gentooplayer improves almost every new release and new kernel that is added to it.
I'm running Ambre using I2S, can imagine that the difference in sound quality is less on other outputs.
I bought an unlimited license. There are other licenses as well but most of them won't work on Raspberry pi 3B I think.

Maybe I'll try to experiment with Raspberry pi 5 inside the Ambre in the near future. I'm curious about the differences compared to Pi3B.
Thank you Peetr!
I'm also using iis to adagio.
It means need to replace to Raspberry board inside?

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #1,434 of 1,451
Thank you Peetr!
I'm also using iis to adagio.
It means need to replace to Raspberry board inside?
No, you only have to replace the Micro-SD card inside. For Gentooplayer you'll need a 16/32gb card. The sd-card with Roonpieee inside the Ambre is 8gb.
Just install Gentooplayer with Raspberry pi imager software on a new micro-SD, place it inside the Ambre and boot it. Follow the Gentooplayer instructions. You can request a trial license for one week. You can easily swap the micro-sd card to compare the difference in sound. Out of the box Gentooplayer sounds already better. It is possible to tweak Gentooplayer to improve the sound quality even more. Just look at this forum for tweaking: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55235-gentooplayer.

You can PM me if you need set up assistance. For example: DAC selection and the blue led on the Ambre (it will remain blinking if you use other software than the original Roonpiee. I already posted a solution for other software packages. I also have a solution for Gentooplayer).

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #1,435 of 1,451
No, you only have to replace the Micro-SD card inside. For Gentooplayer you'll need a 16/32gb card. The sd-card with Roonpieee inside the Ambre is 8gb.
Just install Gentooplayer with Raspberry pi imager software on a new micro-SD, place it inside the Ambre and boot it. Follow the Gentooplayer instructions. You can request a trial license for one week. You can easily swap the micro-sd card to compare the difference in sound. Out of the box Gentooplayer sounds already better. It is possible to tweak Gentooplayer to improve the sound quality even more. Just look at this forum for tweaking: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55235-gentooplayer.

You can PM me if you need set up assistance. For example: DAC selection and the blue led on the Ambre (it will remain blinking if you use other software than the original Roonpiee. I already posted a solution for other software packages. I also have a solution for Gentooplayer).
Got it, Thank you for detail info!
I'm now try to download the software and buy a micro-SD.
after the 1 week trail, any special price for the license?

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #1,436 of 1,451
I was under impression that Pi4 was needed for Gentooplayer

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #1,438 of 1,451
Mar 3, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #1,440 of 1,451
Got it, Thank you for detail info!
I'm now try to download the software and buy a micro-SD.
after the 1 week trail, any special price for the license?
There are difference licenses
maybe pi4 would better than pi3,
i see this photo from internet, is changed rj45 cable and revised the power cable to silver.
I would suggest the latest Pi5. The pi5 board has the same layout as the pi3. So you don't have to unscrew the toroidal transformer and reposition it inside the case. Unfortunately I guess no one already tried to install a pi5. So I don't know for sure that it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back