All things Metrum Acoustics
Feb 26, 2016 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,451

TokenGesture

Previously known as avl06
A thread for fans of the Dutch designers of Non Oversampling DACs Metrum Acoustics.

There are various threads about various of the company's DACs - the Octave, Hex, Musette, Menuet, and the flagship Pavane, as well as the Aurix amp.  

But we thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to the brand.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 1,451
Excellent! I see thecrow was very persuasive.....

I look forward to your impressions on the Menuet once it's had some break-in time and I will post my impressions of the Pavane here as well, particularly as it uses the same FPGA based forward protection module as the Menuet.

Any talk of the Menuet being just as good as the Pavane for a lot less money is strictly forbidden 
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 1,451
Good to see a Metrum thread, thanks for starting it.  I only joined the club a few months ago when I picked up a new old stock Hex (with original M2Tech USB).  I had it and a Schiit Yggdrasil on loan for a few weeks...could have bought either and while the Yggy was excellent, I preferred the even more natural sound of the Hex.  It's a great match with the mighty Wells Audio Enigma amplifier, not least because they stack nicely....
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 1,451
Metrum for life........Loving the Hex and Pavane every time I listen to them.  And yes it's forbidden to talk about a DAC from Metrum costing less that sounds as good as the Pavane. 
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 1,451
Metrum is okay, it does sound very good but poor bang for the buck. Not terribly accurate. I would like someone to compare them against Teac offerings (especially the new one that can do NOS)

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 1,451
Wanted to know if anyone has used their iPad/iPhone or iOS-based source on their Metrum.
If so, what softwared did you use to make the iPhone/iPad recognize the Metrum?
I have the Metrum Hex.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 1,451
Wanted to know if anyone has used their iPad/iPhone or iOS-based source on their Metrum.

I have the Metrum Hex.

I would say grab an apple camera adapter kit and run from your iOS device into your hex's USB input via the USB cable you probably already have

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

No software needed

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 1,451
I have the Metrum Hex.

I would say grab an apple camera adapter kit and run from your iOS device into your hex's USB input via the USB cable you probably already have

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

No software needed

For several months I've used my (old) iPad 3, which has a 30-pin connector, and the 30-pin CCK, with a USB cable -  as my primary source for an Octave MkII with the USB 2 module.

But here's the rub:  No iOS device can supply the Metrum's USB 2 module with 5V power.  

So...  You need to get yourself a USB Y-cable to supply data from the iOS device and 5VDC power from a 5VDC LPS or battery pack.  

I highly recommended this little LPS - check out the cables that are included:  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-Linear-Power-Supply-/181467993450

Kick it up a notch by getting the Uptone Audio USB Regen instead - with which you don't have to use a Y-cable - and it comes with a 7.5V SMPS that drives the 3.3V circuits of the USB Regen as well as passing 5VDC to the USB 2 module through its state-of-the-art 5V voltage regulator.

I've also used the Lightning connector version of the CCK with an iPad Mini and an iPod Touch 6.  They all work fine into the Metrum USB 2 Module - as long as you supply 5V power, separately.

Mike

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #13 of 1,451
For several months I've used my (old) iPad 3, which has a 30-pin connector, and the 30-pin CCK, with a USB cable -  as my primary source for an Octave MkII with the USB 2 module.

But here's the rub:  No iOS device can supply the Metrum's USB 2 module with 5V power.  

So...  You need to get yourself a USB Y-cable to supply data from the iOS device and 5VDC power from a 5VDC LPS or battery pack.  

I highly recommended this little LPS - check out the cables that are included:  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-Linear-Power-Supply-/181467993450

Kick it up a notch by getting the Uptone Audio USB Regen instead - with which you don't have to use a Y-cable - and it comes with a 7.5V SMPS that drives the 3.3V circuits of the USB Regen as well as passing 5VDC to the USB 2 module through its state-of-the-art 5V voltage regulator.

I've also used the Lightning connector version of the CCK with an iPad Mini and an iPod Touch 6.  They all work fine into the Metrum USB 2 Module - as long as you supply 5V power, separately.

Mike
The hex has its own power, as in it doesn't draw power from the USB, so I believe that should make the camera adapter (previously known as the CCK) all good to go

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #15 of 1,451
Oh!  Excellent!  I thought all of the AC-powered Metrum DACs required USB power for their USB inputs.
No. A couple of members in the hex thread had told me that was not the case with the hex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back