All the DACs money can buy...
Jan 30, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #82 of 182
no one is ever going to sticky this... are they?
plainface.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #84 of 182
The list of DACs is quite overwhelming. I'm no wizzkid when it comes to all the technical aspects of pairing sources with digital output (optical or coaxial) with "the right" DAC. I just appreciate listening to music that sounds as the artist intended it. So I hope to get some advice here
biggrin.gif

I don't know if this is at all possible, but I'd like to connect three different sources to the same DAC: (a) an ARCAM SOLO, (b) a (crap) HD-R/DVD-R by MEDION and (c) the optical output from my laptop's fancy Creative PCMCIA sound card
wink.gif
. I haven't actually got the ARCAM SOLO yet, but the idea is that I feed the converted signal back into the ARCAM, which'll then use to drive one pair of active speakers (BeoLab 9) and two pairs of passive speakers (if possible): 1) Snell K MkII and 2) Dali Menuet Royale

Sounds mad? Well, then I am all open to all kinds of advice.
A) Which DAC would you recommend? (given that is has to handle 3 sources)
B) What do you generally think of my plan?

Thank you!

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #86 of 182
Does anyone know if the Digidesign Mbox could be used as a playback DAC for wav files residing on the computer?

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #87 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Camel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The list of DACs is quite overwhelming. I'm no wizzkid when it comes to all the technical aspects of pairing sources with digital output (optical or coaxial) with "the right" DAC. I just appreciate listening to music that sounds as the artist intended it. So I hope to get some advice here
biggrin.gif

I don't know if this is at all possible, but I'd like to connect three different sources to the same DAC: (a) an ARCAM SOLO, (b) a (crap) HD-R/DVD-R by MEDION and (c) the optical output from my laptop's fancy Creative PCMCIA sound card
wink.gif
. I haven't actually got the ARCAM SOLO yet, but the idea is that I feed the converted signal back into the ARCAM, which'll then use to drive one pair of active speakers (BeoLab 9) and two pairs of passive speakers (if possible): 1) Snell K MkII and 2) Dali Menuet Royale

Sounds mad? Well, then I am all open to all kinds of advice.
A) Which DAC would you recommend? (given that is has to handle 3 sources)
B) What do you generally think of my plan?

Thank you!

the bel canto 3 dac can connect all of these sources. otherwise i recommend the emm labs Dcc3 SE
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #88 of 182
SENSATIONAL WORK!!!

Couple of IMPORTANT DACs that are missing:
ICOS Dac tablette FRA 24 Bits / 96 Khz TR $1800
AUDIOMAT Tango 2.5 FRA 24Bits / 96Khz TR $1967
AUDIOMAT Tempo 2.5 $2975
AUDIOMECA Enkianthus $4000

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #89 of 182
Oh holy crap. Just when I thought I was done with my home rig. Apparently with some of the units on the list, you can run an unbalanced source into a balanced amp! No one told me that you just had to use the coaxial or Toslink to get there!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

/meanwhile, the wallet softly weeps away in the corner...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back