All the DACs money can buy...
Feb 12, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #94 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh holy crap. Just when I thought I was done with my home rig. Apparently with some of the units on the list, you can run an unbalanced source into a balanced amp! No one told me that you just had to use the coaxial or Toslink to get there!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

/meanwhile, the wallet softly weeps away in the corner...

blink.gif
how long have you been on the forum?

it's not a sticky because the thread needs to be updated like once a month (with new dacs) and such.. it's a work in progress and not like a definitive dac post.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #95 of 182
Does my BES Audio Icarus qualify to be on the DAC list? It has 4 seperate digital inputs, and the DAC is actually on a interchangable daughterboard. I have the PCM1798 in mine and I love the sound with my HD595s. Can't wait till my MSPros get here
blink.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #96 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif
how long have you been on the forum?

Hey I don't read every thread on the forum you know - I usually skip over the DAC-related threads.
redface.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #97 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh holy crap. Just when I thought I was done with my home rig. Apparently with some of the units on the list, you can run an unbalanced source into a balanced amp! No one told me that you just had to use the coaxial or Toslink to get there!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

/meanwhile, the wallet softly weeps away in the corner...

Maybe we can have a source mini-meet next time
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #98 of 182
You list the Scott Nixon TubeDAC, but not his other DACs (like the Chibi or USB versions).

Are you just going for current production stuff? You mentioned older models too, but there are a lot missing from your list.

You list the Bel Canto 3, but not the 1 or 2.

Meridian used to make DACs, as did Mark Levinson.

A list of more than 100 DACs and not on AudioAlchemy DAC? The Audio Alchemy stuff was the great in its day. I've got a DDE 3.0.

Here's a quick list of the models (pulled from Wikipedia):

# DDE 1.0
# DDE 1.1
# DDE 1.2
# DDE 2.0
# DDE 3.0
# UltraDAC - Combination of a DTI and DAC-In-The-Box (DITB) in one chassis
# DAC-In-The-Box - an inexpensive DAC

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #99 of 182
I'm looking to purchase a DAC to go from my Macbook Pro's optical out. Will I notice an increase in audio quality? The headphones will be Grado SR-80s

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #100 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by event /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to purchase a DAC to go from my Macbook Pro's optical out. Will I notice an increase in audio quality? The headphones will be Grado SR-80s

yes, but it won't be worth it.. those headphones don't scale too well.

i don't list all the dacs simply because i don't have all the information and it's easier. if i can find more info i'll start listing them up. again, i'm not in a hurry to complete this project.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #101 of 182
Quote:

yes, but it won't be worth it.. those headphones don't scale too well.

i don't list all the dacs simply because i don't have all the information and it's easier. if i can find more info i'll start listing them up. again, i'm not in a hurry to complete this project.

Would SR-225s scale better? Also, would a DAC + Amp, like this http://www.ifiaudio.com/d25.html be better? I'm looking for both a DAC and Amp, and this would simplify it, would it not?

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #102 of 182
Quote:

Would SR-225s scale better? Also, would a DAC + Amp, like this http://www.ifiaudio.com/d25.html be better? I'm looking for both a DAC and Amp, and this would simplify it, would it not?

that's good, later you can upgrade the headphone.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #103 of 182
Quote:

that's good, later you can upgrade the headphone.

So, are you saying go with the SR-80s then, or upgrade from the SR-225s? I'm sorry, I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. If I get the SR-80s, I'll have more money for an Amp and DAC... but if I get the SR-225s, they will be my phones for the foreseeable future and beyond...

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #104 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe we can have a source mini-meet next time
tongue.gif

Heh, that actually sounds like a great plan. I'm back to three disc players now too so that would make things more interesting. Maybe we can do something at the 2007 International?

I don't want to continue hijacking the thread so I'll stop now.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #105 of 182
Quote:

So, are you saying go with the SR-80s then, or upgrade from the SR-225s? I'm sorry, I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. If I get the SR-80s, I'll have more money for an Amp and DAC... but if I get the SR-225s, they will be my phones for the foreseeable future and beyond...

oh, i was under the impression you already head the SR80. if you are just starting, then i'd got with the sr 225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back