Albums That You'd Recommend
Oct 30, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #61 of 129

The Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #62 of 129
A couple of favorites from the tragically little-known Olivia Tremor Control:

Dusk at Cubist Castle, 1996

Black Foliage, 1999

Cubist Castle is usually referred to as OTC's "Sgt. Pepper" and Black Foliage as their "White Album."  These are psychedelic pop albums where you'll find plenty of influences from the Beatles and Brian Wilson, but you will not find them derivative.

If you pick these up, Cubist Castle is the more accessible of the two.  Once Cubist Castle sinks in, Black Foliage will reveal itself as - possibly - the stronger album.  But you have to listen to Cubist Castle first since Black Foliage refers back to it.  One of the reviewers on Amazon put it better than I could when he said this about Cubist Castle:

Quote:
Take the heart of the Beatles and wrap it in the melodies of Neutral Milk Hotel and/or the Flaming Lips... and you have Olivia Tremor Control -- one of the best swirls of neo-psychedelica in history. "Music From the Unrealized Film Script: Dusk at Cubist Castle" is an intoxicating, sprawling mix of abstract soundscapes and Beatles-esque pop -- and it never stumbles once.

For those of you who like Jeff Mangum/Neutral Milk Hotel (I saw them listed earlier), Jeff plays a bit on these albums, helped with some of the songwriting and did some backing vocals.  You'll find his influences here and there, as well.

The people who know about these albums absolutely love them.  Pitchfork gave Cubist Castle a 9.4 rating while Black Foliage scored a 9.1.  They got strong reviews from other sources, too, but a lot of people still haven't heard of them.

Another tragically unknown album is from the Kinks:

Village Green Preservation Society, 1968

Criminally unknown and - possibly - the best album the Kinks ever released.  Pitchfork gave this one a 9.5.  Just a classic and I regret not knowing about it 20 years ago.  Since I found it recently, Village Green has become one of my staples.  Give it a try.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #64 of 129
Limpidglitch, I already have it!  I like the Sunshine Fix, too. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #65 of 129

Quote:

i have recently discovered this prog rock band and fell in love instantly 

Quote:

Alcest - Écailles de Lune. I honestly don't know why i've never seen anyone discuss a serious candidate for best 2010 album like this one...

i want to thank both of you for putting those up, great stuff.

and for my entrant, and cd i cant get enough of right now, and my current best cd of 2010. if you even kind of like Melodic Death Metal or  Technical Death Metal, you owe it to yourself to check this cd out.

Some of the most melodic tech death ive heard, and along with the strangely thought provoking lyrics, its a breath of fresh air for metal i think

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #66 of 129
"Famous Blue Raincoat" - Jennifer Warnes

Beautiful lyrics, good singing and music.

Cypress Records, 1987, CD

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #67 of 129

Quote:
And if you dig that, there's no reason not to pick up some Circulatory System.

They're closely related, both by personnel and sound.

Loved OTC, so I picked up some circulatory system a while back.  While it is similar in some ways, I found OTC's albums to be head and shoulders better.  Their debut album was great, but I found it downhill from there. The sunshine fix is great, obviously if you could get your hands on synthetic flying machine's stuff (pretty rare).  But NMH was how I got hooked into the whole elephant 6 thing, and will always remain my favorite of the associated bands.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #68 of 129
Famous Blue Raincoat is also very well recorded.
When trying out new gear, I always play the second song of the album to know if the gear is any good.

Quote:
"Famous Blue Raincoat" - Jennifer Warnes

Beautiful lyrics, good singing and music.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #71 of 129

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
The fact that these guys (who sound like a mix between Brian Wilson, Paul Mcartney and Freddie Mercury) were around during the height of grunge is hilarious.  The fact that Jason Falkner, the least talented of these guys, was able to later start a a band like the grays shows how much raw talent they had.  This is their best (of two) albums.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #75 of 129
oh yeah, also:

Bought it today and i must say: i'm getting addicted to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back