AKG K812 Pro
Dec 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,121 of 4,825
Thanks for the info frank. I felt there was a veil but was being conservative towards my impressions on it in that aspect. I too figured it would be a great pairing with the cavalli amps. With the silver dragon cable, how would you say the pm1 compares to the K812?

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #3,122 of 4,825
and they're for sale
wink.gif

Will probably pull them from the FS threads after the Fitz-customized Bada PH-12 comes back from the shop with the Black Gate replacement caps.
Was considering buying a Krell integrated, but thought better of it.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #3,123 of 4,825
Thanks for the info frank. I felt there was a veil but was being conservative towards my impressions on it in that aspect. I too figured it would be a great pairing with the cavalli amps. With the silver dragon cable, how would you say the pm1 compares to the K812?

That's a tough one.
For my ears, in terms of absolute resolution of detail, I have given the nod to the PM-1 with the alternative lambskin pads and using the Lehmann BCL.
But given the K812 paired with the hybrid Bada, the AKGs are the clear winners to my ears, musically more complete with superior dimensionality.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #3,125 of 4,825

I think the K812 is still a better more enriched headphone overall. i like everything the K812 does and  been completely enamored with the  transparency and overall detail. The headphone is really a special product form AKG.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #3,128 of 4,825
Hi,

Just to let you all know there is a new video review of the K812 found in below link and the price of this headphone has just been reduced in Hong Kong :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745985/my-video-review-of-the-akg-k812-on-sale-in-hong-kong#post_11151070

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #3,129 of 4,825
Does anyone, here, listen to these headphones on an SET headphone amplifier?  The 812s don't look like a difficult load.  But i am more concerned, not about the power factor, but that the voicing of the headphones may be biased.  Maybe that's not a problem with these headphones, since i recall reading a positive response from an OTL user (but on the other hand, they have a high output impedance relative to amplifiers with transformer output stages).

My 701s were easily driven by my Stratus 2A3 headphone amplifier.  But they just died on me, unfortunately, and I am looking for something that sounds like them - balanced, cohesive and truthful sounding on an SET amplifier. 

They appear not be available in my country (Denmark), only the Pro model.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #3,130 of 4,825
  SPL Phonitor 2 vs Violectric HPA V281 

which is better for k812?

Both work fine, powerwise both are overkill :wink:
Overall I like the V281 a bit better with its very smooth treble.

They appear not be available in my country (Denmark), only the Pro model.

Are you talking about the K812 here? Its listed at their Pro site, I don't think there are different models available.
Sorry I can't comment on the use with OTL amps...

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #3,132 of 4,825
both my csp2+ ( set amp?? )   and DV336se(OTL)  cant handle the low opening notes on Copland's Fanfare/Eiji Oue with the K812.
(edit : but the DV336se almoooost did the job..maybe a tube with better bass control might do the trick..i need to work on it. )
=======

i switched out the 1/4" adaptor with one of my old adaptors...
and the can calmed down a notch...less highstrung( on my setup) ...finetuning :p

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,133 of 4,825
Thanks Plakat, your reply should be helpful. I read from he amp threads that you own both
wink.gif

Do the perform the same on bass?

The V281 seems to have a bit more power down low. Technically thats not relevant as both are quite powerful, but I like amps to have ample headroom. And the V281 does bass extremely well.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #3,135 of 4,825
You can never have too much headroom... who knows what you're going to get next 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back