AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #766 of 3,395
Thanks for the suggestions. 
smile.gif

Unfortunately for me, a stand is out of the question for a couple of reasons:
  1. My desk is too easily accessible by my kids and I absolutely do not want them grabbing these!
  2. My desk is in a different room and I use these primarily in the living room.  Unfortunately, the top of my entertainment center is pretty full with components and game systems.
  3. I do have some higher shelf space near the TV that could work, but there are times when I don't use my headphones for a number of days (blasphemy, I know!) and my AV components pick up dust too quickly.  I'd hate to subject my Annies to all that dust.

So, a bag worked better for me to be able to store these away from kids and dust.

This is the bag I grabbed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headphone-Bag-Anti-impact-for-Shure-SRH-Sony-Sennheiser-/110956716486?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item19d58921c6

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #767 of 3,395
(Took me 6 hours to write this post way to busy at work.)

Yes the sound is the most important part along with comfort. Which both of these areas I am enjoying.

I was just thinking that for a such an important anniversary I would have like some extras. Though I hate there sound my HM5s came with a headphone case, spare pads and spare cables. Even my Superlux HD668B came with a bag and extra cables for 60 bucks. I realize the Annies are leagues above both those headphones. Just seems to me that memory foam pads and a strap doesn't cost AKG 200 to 300 dollars per headphone. More like 5 bucks. Honestly I am just nitpicking and should really drink my coffee faster.

MLE you asked if I liked them. I do quite a bit just have to get used to the signature. I will be giving my DT990pros away and force myself to use the 65's. If I still need more punch down the road I will look to the X1 or HE400. I am honestly just not used to having mids that strong. Having vocals front and center is little disorientating in a good way. The soundstage also feels very different as well. To me the treble feels rolled off but of course it would being used tothe bright DT990s. Since my HD598s it is first time I have started to enjoy Jack Johnson again. He loves his bass guitar. On my other phones it can get loose and be a flabby mess.
Which is fine I don't think I am going to miss it. Also for me they sound very natural again disorientating again due to nature of the DT990s heavy V freq. So it is different and there is nothing wrong with that. It is actually really awesome. Gaming wise I didn't have to have my mixamp forced towards voice as much as my friends come in much clearer. That alone is worth it to me. I can hear more of the game and them as well.
k701smile.gif

So yes I like them. Just haven't reached love yet due to them being SO different from my DTs, Superlux's and CAL's(Which excite me every time I put them on.).

Damn it back to work.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #768 of 3,395
Yes, it's a radical departure from the DT990 Pros. Night and day difference, really, lol. An easier transition would have been the HE-400 which share bass and treble emphasis like the DT990, but not as extreme. I dunno if I would have replaced the 990 Pros with these, but instead have the 990 Pros as my compliment to the Annie. But if you could only have one, I totally understand.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #769 of 3,395
Quote:
Gaming wise I didn't have to have my mixamp forced towards voice as much as my friends come in much clearer. That alone is worth it to me. I can hear more of the game and them as well.
k701smile.gif

Ooh, that's very positive to hear!  I'm used to cranking my mixamp heavily towards voice to hear my friend well enough in Red Dead Redemption.  That'll be nice to ease it back towards Game a bit.

I told my friend earlier today that I'm hesitant to affix a piece of velcro to the left ear cup to attach my LVA 7330 mic.  The Annies are so beautiful and I don't want to gunk up the surface of the grille with the velcro's adhesive.  I'll likely do it anyway, but I'm currently in the stage of babying my recent acquisition. 
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #770 of 3,395
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWpfTtZae_s[/VIDEO]

I'm SO glad my favorite song of all time by my favorite artist sounds absolutely stunning off the Annie. It's like she's singing directly to me.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #771 of 3,395
Jan 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #773 of 3,395
Hifiguy, where are your impressions? I remember you saying it was the same as the non-Annies, but then siad that you're starting to hear what makes them worthwhile or something...

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #774 of 3,395
Is there any way of getting these in canada?

I love my K701's, but these are nicer looking.
k701smile.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #777 of 3,395
Hifiguys impressions / short review can be found in the latest issue of TONEaudio magazine (page 212): http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_051.pdf

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #778 of 3,395
Quote:

I love my K701's, but these are nicer looking.
k701smile.gif

It's tough. I sell headphones and our AKG dealer says he can special order one for me. But they aren't necessarily bringing in the 65th anniversary line of products.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #779 of 3,395

I love my K701's, but these are nicer looking.:k701smile:

I got mine from Bestseller on amazon.com when they were 409. After shipping and customs i was at about 500 or so.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #780 of 3,395
Apparently my Annies arrived today... at least UPS attempted to deliver it today but no one was home.

Anyway, what would be an ideal amp for these sets? And if that is out of my budget (which probably will) what would be a good pairing for $300 or less?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back