AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #646 of 3,395
Jan 11, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #647 of 3,395
ANV comming next Tuesday/Wednesday . 

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #648 of 3,395
I think these are bit overpriced for about 100-200$.

The sound quality is similar to HD 600/650, I would say more closer to HD 600. ANV has a bit of grain in the sound like just like HD 600 = less pixels. HD 650 are a bit smoother/hifi = more pixels.

HD650 are more darker, but I would say the ANV is a quite dark headphone too. Definitely air missing = rolled off.

ANV and HD 600 both quite neutral, which is nice.

ANV has a bigger soundstage than HD 650. HD 650 sounds a bit "mono" after the ANV.

I would say nice comfort, but Senns win here in my opinion. HD 600/650 are one of the most comfortable phones out there. ANV tends to move a bit on the head and the sound changes because of that. ANV is a bit sweatier too than Senns.

Nice cans, but overpriced. Should be around 299$.

From memory HE-500 definitely beats the ANV by a mile and HE-500 beats the HE-400 by a mile.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #650 of 3,395
Not to me. I don´t think my head is big or small. ANV even formed a little hot spot after listening for a while. Senns are great because there´s paddings on both sides of the head, so it divides the weight. I´ve never had hotspots with the Senns. Could wear them forever. And they don´t move around my ears changing the sound.

But I have to say I like the overall sound of ANV. It´s not very hifi though. If it had the "resolution" of the HD 650 and a bit more air, I´d probably like it more than the HD 650. I think it´s a good headphone, but definitely not worth what they are asking for it.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #652 of 3,395
Quote:
ANV is a bit sweatier too than Senns.

Interesting. I don't find either headphone to be particularly sweaty. For me the ANV cups feel light and airy but I have to admit that they do generate more pressure = heat than the standard editions. So I guess the memory foam / velour combo could cause sweating (and even irritation) for some people with sensitive skin. These are indeed very expensive headphones, but if you find the sound signature and the new design pleasing I would say these are worth that extra hundred (as compared to standard K702s). The retail price is indeed ridiculous, but there seems to be some pretty good deals around atm.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #653 of 3,395
Quote:
ANV even formed a little hot spot after listening for a while.

This has to be personal. I've been using these headphones daily and never got hot spots. How long was your listening session? Can't really say which ones are ultimately more comfortable (depends on head shape etc), but with senns I could definitely see myself forgetting that I'm wearing headphones.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #654 of 3,395
I find the HD6xx series more comfortable than the Q701's, but I heard that they changed the pads on the ANV; maybe the AKG's can be more comfortable. I feel like buying them to compare to the Q701's myself since impressions are all over the place.

I'd mainly use them as my gaming headphones as I already have better phones; but I would definitely use it for listening once in a blue moon.

I doubt the ANV's would be much different to the Q701's though... I'll see, err, hear for myself.

beerchug.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #655 of 3,395
I find the Q701s to be a bit uncomfortable because the cups are too big for my head. The bottom of the cup literally touches my cheek / jawline, and it rubs when it moves.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #656 of 3,395
Quote:

Can't say for sure before measurements, but I believe the anniversary drivers are tuned differently to match the pad design? Not sure how they would work with standard 702s. Nevertheless, this would be interesting experiment.

The drivers are the same part number (2400Z00080), though they may be more critically matched to each other for the Annie.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #657 of 3,395
Quote:

Interesting. I don't find either headphone to be particularly sweaty. For me the ANV cups feel light and airy but I have to admit that they do generate more pressure = heat than the standard editions. So I guess the memory foam / velour combo could cause sweating (and even irritation) for some people with sensitive skin. These are indeed very expensive headphones, but if you find the sound signature and the new design pleasing I would say these are worth that extra hundred (as compared to standard K702s). The retail price is indeed ridiculous, but there seems to be some pretty good deals around atm.

I guess it´s because the earcups are bigger and cover more of my face than the HD 600/650.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #658 of 3,395
Quote:

This has to be personal. I've been using these headphones daily and never got hot spots. How long was your listening session? Can't really say which ones are ultimately more comfortable (depends on head shape etc), but with senns I could definitely see myself forgetting that I'm wearing headphones.

I get a hot spot after 30-60 minutes and I have to start moving and adjusting the headband, not fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back