AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Aug 14, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #1,351 of 2,435
My K701 went the same way. I also don't regret it. What did it for me was a comparison of the treble. The K612 is just a tad 'smoother ' with a mini bass lift - but it's small enough to not be overbearing.

Did you ever try the pad mod on the K601. I was tempted but reverted straight back to standard pads. For me, it just didn't work. It was impressive at the start since the bass was raised but I felt that other things were sacrificed in order to get this. The mids receded a little, which I wasn't keen on.

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,352 of 2,435
What pad mod are you referring to? I'm using the slanted K702 pads on my K601. It's a massive upgrade for the headphone. It expanded the soundstage and evened out the frequency response by dialing the mids back slightly. To my ears, the bass, mids and treble are extremely even in their presentation. I have my own thread and a post in this thread about my findings, somewhere.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #1,354 of 2,435
I see. I actually feel the opposite based on my findings. The sound seems lighter, more nimble and with much better detail and instrument separation after switching pads. I felt the stock pads had a compressed soundstage and didn't allow the drivers to "breathe" so to speak.

It's possible that either our stock pads or the K70X pads we used were different. Then again it could just be our ears/preference.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,355 of 2,435
It's possible that either our stock pads or the K70X pads we used were different. Then again it could just be our ears/preference.

I wondered about the pads and differences at the time actually. I've tried to find my k702 pads again, but we've moved house so they've got buried.

Mine came from Thomann.

I might try again when I find them, I think.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,356 of 2,435
I'm interested in your findings. Could you post some pictures of your pads? I'd be happy to post pictures of my setup and information on when I purchased my K702. That might offer some insight on which generation/version of pad I'm using.

I do know that the K701 came with at least two types of pads. Early versions came with flat pads similar to the stock K601 pads, while later models came with the "3D" slanted pads which have a larger opening and angled the driver. Needless to say, these differences have huge influences on sound.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #1,357 of 2,435
That would account for some other negatives I saw at the time perhaps. I noticed that quite few people not happy with the sound were Europeans. Maybe a different type had already appeared in USA?

My k701 pads were flat and not angled. I also replaced them and the funny thing is that at the time, I thought the second set were way fatter and more dense than my old ones. I never saw the angled K701 pads.

The same thing with my K601 going to K612. The 612 pads seemed a lot harder than my 601.

The k702 pads that I received were really quite hard. They didn't squash easily when worn and were dense.

Now you really have me wondering. I've been out to the garage to look for them. Been through 20 or so boxes and can't find them!!

How about the K702 gel pads? I noticed that Thomann also sells those.

I had another guy on HF turn on me because I didn't like the K702 pads so I kept quiet after that. I'll have another go with them as soon as I find them, or I'll order another pair. You have made me very curious about it now..

Interestingly, just out of curiosity, I bought a pair of pads for the Senn hd650 from an Ebay firm who make copies. They look right. Perhaps slightly flatter and the Velcro isn't as black. The sound though, isn't quite as heavy as my original pads. It almost makes them sound hd600 like which surprised me. Could be the density of the foam I guess.

So your statement about pads being a large part of the sound are spot on.

Luckily for me, I accidentally improved the Senns slightly for me with slightly less bloat!!! (And they were much cheaper)

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,358 of 2,435
I bought my K701 pads separately (rather than owning the K701 itself), but they're most certainly not flat, being stiffer and angled when compared with the K601 pads. Interestingly they also sound more "Senn like" to me.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,359 of 2,435
i bought K612pro now.
right now i don't have any amp ( only Fiio E6 - not the best option, i know )

could anybody help me out ?
i have 50-150$.

i don't like buy used.
is the sound better with tube amplification ?

Hifiman has a small tube amp...

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #1,360 of 2,435
i bought K612pro now.
right now i don't have any amp ( only Fiio E6 - not the best option, i know )

could anybody help me out ?
i have 50-150$.

i don't like buy used.
is the sound better with tube amplification ?

Hifiman has a small tube amp...

E17 is fantastic option with 612 (with bass setting 4).. I haven't tried tubes with 612, but according to impressions here EF2A should pair well with 612.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #1,362 of 2,435
I tried a pair of Q701 pads on my K612's and I did not like the sound at all. The bass was WAY too boomy. I also tried the reverse...putting the K612 pads on the Q701's. The Q701's ended up sounding very thin and bright. Now the K612 pads are thinner so it got me to thinking...If the Q701's are too bright with the thinner pads, what will happen to the sound as the Q701 pads narrow over time?

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,363 of 2,435
That's what I got originally as far as the bass goes on th K612, which is why reports of 'extra clarity' are puzzling to me. If pads get closer to your ears, you'd expect mids to come forward and further away, develop more bass. (Well, so I thought). However with k702 pads, some seem to be getting something different which could mean different densities of foam.

Perhaps densities in USA stock are different to EU?

I wonder whether some people mistake headphone break in for pad wear down!! Also, imagine what Senns might do once the pads go down in comparison to new.

Funny thing with Senns is that there aren't any reports or comparisons, but my Chinese pads do seem to sound different on them with less weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back