AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Aug 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,382 of 2,435
That's what I got originally as far as the bass goes on th K612, which is why reports of 'extra clarity' are puzzling to me. If pads get closer to your ears, you'd expect mids to come forward and further away, develop more bass. (Well, so I thought). However with k702 pads, some seem to be getting something different which could mean different densities of foam.

Perhaps densities in USA stock are different to EU?

I wonder whether some people mistake headphone break in for pad wear down!! Also, imagine what Senns might do once the pads go down in comparison to new.

Funny thing with Senns is that there aren't any reports or comparisons, but my Chinese pads do seem to sound different on them with less weight.

I think it's the denser, stiffer foam and angle of the K701 pads that affect the sound that way for us, creating a greater seal than the K601 pads. So perhaps some K701/2 pads are less dense as you say, which may explain why others have come to different conclusions. As controlmajortom pointed out, the foam rings also affect the sound. When I ordered my K701 pads, I also ordered some new foam rings for the fun of it since they cost next to nothing, but interestingly the foam rings I received are of different densities. I can't remember which way round it was, but potentially the sound between the two pads could be closer if I put the less dense rings under the K701 pads, and more dense rings under the K601 pads. In fact I believe this is why my original findings weren't the same as they are currently, having possibly switched the foam rings at the same time as the pads, but I'm pretty sure I was using my old amp back then, and maybe even only a soundcard feeding through to it, so perhaps I had a poorer quality sound to assess the differences with.

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #1,383 of 2,435
It is strange that reports are opposite to each other regarding pads. I don't doubt what people are saying at all and so feel that there could be something to do with pad consistency accounting for it.

I'll take a look at the foam Paul. Are people taking the foam out with the k702 pads?

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #1,385 of 2,435
I'm certainly not denying it. but I'll stand with my opinion as before, since I tried more powerful amps with 612. anyway I'm just giving my personal opinion here. anyone is more than welcome to prove me otherwise.

It's a subjective opinion. No one can "prove" you otherwise :wink:

Incidentally, I have tried the 612s with a variety of amps, too.

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #1,386 of 2,435
The 2nd set of k702 pads have arrived. I thought I'd try again since I wasn't that keen last time.

Bass is higher and the tonality has slightly darkened. However, this time, the mids don't seem so sucked out! Comparing with the old 612 pads, they are denser, but not quite as hard/dense as the first pair I had. (From another source) perhaps wearing them for a while will soften them even more and alter the sound?

This set don't seem as bad as the first set I had as far as the mids go. The headphone still sounds quite lush though and going more towards a Sennheiser sound.

It's not unpleasant at all, so I'll stick with it for a while so the pads take up the shape of my head.

Does anyone have a 612 and 702 or 712 to compare with these pads on the 612. (Does that make sense?) :wink:

Basically, is the sound of the k702 or 712 being partially created as a result of these sloping pads which seem packed more densely?

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,387 of 2,435
The 2nd set of k702 pads have arrived. I thought I'd try again since I wasn't that keen last time.

Bass is higher and the tonality has slightly darkened. However, this time, the mids don't seem so sucked out! Comparing with the old 612 pads, they are denser, but not quite as hard/dense as the first pair I had. (From another source) perhaps wearing them for a while will soften them even more and alter the sound?

This set don't seem as bad as the first set I had as far as the mids go. The headphone still sounds quite lush though and going more towards a Sennheiser sound.

It's not unpleasant at all, so I'll stick with it for a while so the pads take up the shape of my head.

Does anyone have a 612 and 702 or 712 to compare with these pads on the 612. (Does that make sense?)
wink.gif

Basically, is the sound of the k702 or 712 being partially created as a result of these sloping pads which seem packed more densely?

Granted I have the 601 and not the 612, but the 702 pads actually created less bass for me. It seems to extend deeper, but there's noticeably less midbass. Perhaps the difference in drivers is responsible for the different effect?

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,389 of 2,435
Hi Punisher. It was your original reply to me that prompted me to try again. Many thanks for getting back.

I think there is a slight difference from my first set; especially in the mids. These pads don't seem as packed. The others were like bricks and barely compressed. These do.

I think the bass seems deeper but the basic tonality has shifted down to a slightly darker sound. It's not unpleasant and bloom isn't there on mens' voices. (For me that's important).

I wouldn't have thought that there would be major differences between drivers so it is quite puzzling how I seem to be getting a different sound. You've even got me checking the packet to see if they are 702 pads and not something else!!

I'll stick with it and let the pads sink a bit - that might be why.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #1,392 of 2,435

Does anyone have a 612 and 702 or 712 to compare with these pads on the 612. (Does that make sense?)
wink.gif

I have both the K612 and K712. The K712 pads make the K612 sound lusher, darker, and honestly a bit bass-heavy. The denser and deeper memory foam pads of the K712 seem to be why. The K612 pads on the K712 make the K712 sound thin and bright. The K612 driver is inherently warmer, more midrange oriented, and darker than that of the K712.

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,393 of 2,435
Thanks kman. That's basically what I'm getting, which is why I'm puzzled by reports saying the opposite.

I tried a K712 and really liked it. I found it a pleasant, warm listen. I was very tempted tbh.

I don't mind the K612 with 702 pads, but I'm not getting what many seem to report. To me, it's thicker sounding and more like a Sennheiser. Not sure if any detail gets lost since it's easy to 'think' it's lost when the treble is reduced when in fact it's not.

It surprises me that Thomann doesn't sell actual k612 pads but advertise the k702 ones as being suitable, when in fact, they change the sound.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,394 of 2,435
I had a K601 and sold it half a year ago to finance a ATH-AD1000. The K601 was quite demanding in terms of amp power. Does the K612 follow in the same footstep? More specifically, I have a O2/ODAC and is considering to buy a Aune T1. Do you think these combination would work?

Cheers

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #1,395 of 2,435
  I had a K601 and sold it half a year ago to finance a ATH-AD1000. The K601 was quite demanding in terms of amp power. Does the K612 follow in the same footstep? More specifically, I have a O2/ODAC and is considering to buy a Aune T1. Do you think these combination would work?

Cheers

I don't think you should sidegrade/downgrade from O2/ODAC into a T1, it is a tube DAC and SS amp. You already have a strong DAC/AMP combo, you should look to buy a dedicated amplifier to go with the odac and it should be something significantly better than the O2. Whether or not you will need a more powerful amp than O2, I have absolutely no idea, my pair is waiting for me to come home from work for the first audition though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back