AKG K550 vs Some others (denon d2000, akg k271, ultrasone edition 8, shure 940, shure 840, beyer dt770.....)
Mar 30, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #61 of 174
awesome. Absolutely awesome. It'll crush the denons and other phones in this type of music. Just use a decent amplifier like the m stage so that the k550 gets the bass that you need.

non sibilant highs, crunchy mids, loads of air, non constricted soundstage (unlike denons here which make the soundstage feel too defined with borders, the k550 allow female vocals to literally extend into the air surrounding your headphones). Lovely defined fast midrange with plenty of speed. Very good attack and decay.

As i've said before the main problem with the akg is if tonality as it sometimes don't sound natural. That's perfect for trance music though. Mind you they rock at classical, jazz and ambient music too. Easily better than my denon d7k in these genres. The m stage is very impressive (with the hrt music streamer) with the k550.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #62 of 174
I've just got got a pair of these and they're great, also you review was extremely useful, so thank you.

I was wondering though, to adjust the the pads left/right how much pressure should I use? I can't seem to make the clamp any tighter and don't want to use too much pressure incase I'm pushing in the wrong place.

Thanks

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #63 of 174
cheers.

Just swivel then left and right when they're in you hands. fFor a tighter fit id think more movement upwards, so pushing the pads up would make for a tighter fit. by this i mean to swing them in the direction towards the sky, not the ground. Maybe adjusting the levels on the headband would help also.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #64 of 174
hello,

I am not sure I get your note about adjustable clamping force and would like to clarify that as I have tried them today and I think that I unable to get proper seal due to the (low) clamping force.

I actually read your review before I went to the studio and was aware that I should be able to adjust the force but I simply could not figure it out and was afraid I would break them if I try too hard.

Just to avoid any confusion, these can

1) move up/down (only direction which does the clicking sound) along the scale marked on the headband.
2) swivel left/right (which can far enough to make them flat)
3) tilt inwards / outwards (little bit to fit the shape of one's head) around ear-piece hinge. 

Now, by your description, I expected the point 3 to have sort positions where I would push them to stay tilted inward and, therefore, narrower for one's head which would require to expand them further resulting in greater clamping force. I was not able to do that. They tilt in defined range which does not require any force and it was simply not possible to go beyond - I really was sure I would break them if I pushed them a bit more.

At the same time when I put a bit of pressure by my hands I got immediate seal and the sound improved dramatically. Unfortunately one can't work with hands on their head all day long.

Basically I did not find their flexibility any greater than of any other headphones, my Sennheisers HD580 can also do all 3 movements except for the fact they can't be made flat.

So please explain if there is a trick I did not discover or if a brutal force is to be applied :wink:

If there IS a trick, these would be mine. 

Thanks and Regards,
Petr

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #65 of 174
no brutal force! no reak trick either.

point 3 you made- each cup rotates 45 degrees in that plane. The reason why it's like no other headphone i've used is as each slight adjustment you do here is a rigid one and it stays rigid once on your head. It stays in that position. So for a clamp i guess the most inward of configuration is ideal.

I would also reduce the levels of adjustment on the headband you use. Maybe by one click to either side.

I guess if noneof this works, then you need something clampier. Quite a few options- shue 840 would be good. Good luck.....

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #66 of 174
So the headband is partly plastic? Do you reckon it would be possible to bend them slightly inwards from the metal parts where the scale markings are? 

Haven't got these yet, but your review was a good read, though I highly disregard the Ed8 as the best closed headphone :)

Thank you!

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #67 of 174
So the headband is partly plastic? Do you reckon it would be possible to bend them slightly inwards from the metal parts where the scale markings are? 

Haven't got these yet, but your review was a good read, though I highly disregard the Ed8 as the best closed headphone :)

Thank you!

The ed8s are only the second best closed headphone in production :)

And arguably, this second spot they they occupy can be rivaled by two other princes. The beyer t5p and the d7000s.

The closedback king. Is. Without. A shred of doubt in my mind. The ultrasone sigpro. And very clearly so.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #68 of 174

Quote:
The ed8s are only the second best closed headphone in production
smily_headphones1.gif

And arguably, this second spot they they occupy can be rivaled by two other princes. The beyer t5p and the d7000s.
The closedback king. Is. Without. A shred of doubt in my mind. The ultrasone sigpro. And very clearly so.

Hahahaha, you must jest. Peaks and valleys pro? Seriously though, I couldn't stand the ed8's when I heard them. Purrin's waterfall plots I saw recently speak for themselves, and for me... :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566929/headphone-csd-waterfall-plots/570#post_8190746

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #69 of 174
Hey, I'm thinking about getting the K550's and I'm wondering if I would be good with just using them straight from my phone, or if I should use a portable DAC/Amp with it. And if so, what are some cheap DACs/Amps that I could go with?

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #71 of 174
I don't listen to headphones using Purin's waterfall, only my ears.

To each, his own. Such is audio.

As much as I love the LCD2, I felt they lack bite and treble excitement.

And as much as there are Sony SA5000 lovers out there, IMHO their treble is insanely harsh and cannot like them at all.

I do take to slight offense the metallic tinge the Ed8s impart on music, especially the highs. I also do notice some peakiness which is why on a long day, or after stressful shifts at work I seem to be unable to enjoy them as much.

However, the T5p and the D7000s have their own shortcomings as well.

But I'm very sure, the SigPros will be mentioned more and more as people start trying them. I was auditioning the LCD3s but totally forgot about them after trying the SigPros for a good 30mins.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #72 of 174

Quote:
I don't listen to headphones using Purin's waterfall, only my ears.

To each, his own. Such is audio.

As much as I love the LCD2, I felt they lack bite and treble excitement.

And as much as there are Sony SA5000 lovers out there, IMHO their treble is insanely harsh and cannot like them at all.

I do take to slight offense the metallic tinge the Ed8s impart on music, especially the highs. I also do notice some peakiness which is why on a long day, or after stressful shifts at work I seem to be unable to enjoy them as much.

However, the T5p and the D7000s have their own shortcomings as well.

But I'm very sure, the SigPros will be mentioned more and more as people start trying them. I was auditioning the LCD3s but totally forgot about them after trying the SigPros for a good 30mins.

Good point. I don't listen to my ears either though, but the music. ED8 has no clue about the music... Just bleeps and blops and sounds like someone is disemboweling inside your ear. One doesn't listen to graphs, yes, but this particular one just shows so much hash it's easy to connect two dots. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #73 of 174

Thank you!

Cheers!
No, i've come across many bitter disappointments and few genuine surprises, so i thought i'd write on amongst the biggest nice surprises, the k550.

the headband is metal. only is it surrounded by plastic around the lower parts, where the headband adjustment is. How i know this???? errr, used a magnet. Bending the.headband? well to tell the truth i'm not sure if id ever have the guts to, but as its metal it could be done. Just be careful not to change the curvature of the metal which is covered by the plastic.

The ed8 is in my view the best sonically. It easily beats the denon d7k, which is to me fast becoming boring. It better change with a burn in. At the minuit the d7k is awful to listen to for.extended periods as for me this has to be at low volumes. And the denon at low volumes is pretty bad. Actually this last point reveals among the biggest strengths of the ed8- low volume listening. awesome for that as you've an upfront midrange with no recess in any of the highs or lows.

The ed8 is the only allrounder i've come across. example. if i was to put all my songs on my pc in one playlist, giant playlist, and play tracks shuffled, the ed8 would be the only can that I would choose if sq is a priority.
Another point - soundstage and some of it's other sound changes after the pads have been exposed to sweat. They turn from rigid to soft.

I don't find it's highs to be bright that much. Way less than the d7k (50 hr burn in). Way less. About as bright as the k271. And needless to say, many levels below the abrasive awful t5p's. I thought the shure 940 were better than these even.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #74 of 174
Just got mine this morning. Been listening music for a good half an hour, but these were instantly groovy! You're right in saying that they're definitely AKG, but to me seem a definite upgrade to the K272HD, which I was using on my way to the post office. Awesomely tuneful bass presentation, smooth sailing with the music across the register. I have no trouble distinguishing harmonics. Modal jazz is a breeze, Duke playing those low volume synth things on Zappa albums... Fantastic, everything's there. 
Ah, might be new toy syndrome, but I've been instantly disappointed with many other purchases: in other words, I know what I like and don't usually let anything fool me outside of context, which is the music itself. 

Can't wait for these to burn in! ... In other words, gain more experience with different music with them and learn to appreciate them for their qualities even more. 

Ooh, very musical! ... Just have to add, these are probably not for Rhythmdevils. Bass is very linear and notes are distinguishable, haven't heard better bass-reproduction in any closed headphone. I'll try to compare these to the 8400's at some point, since they have some really good points. These are much smoother though and the bass production of the 8400 doesn't come even close I'm safe to say. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #75 of 174
Nice!!!

Yea, i knew you'd like em.

burn in may have an effect. Im not sure as i didn't listen out for this. They were awesome as they were and still are.

As time went by I got to appreciate 3 things a lot more about this headphone; the isolation, ultra high level of comfort and the slick build quality/mechanisms. Pair this with the sound and the entire package is not bad at all for a little over £200!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back