AKG K550 vs Some others (denon d2000, akg k271, ultrasone edition 8, shure 940, shure 840, beyer dt770.....)
Jan 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #16 of 174
True, but since the k550's are being billed as reference closed portables, I still think the 1350's are probably their most comparable analog.  Presumably, very few listeners are using full sized, non-foldable dt770/880/990's as commuting/travel phones.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #17 of 174

Quote:
True, but since the k550's are being billed as reference closed portables, I still think the 1350's are probably their most comparable analog.

The most comparable circum aural headphone with beyer line would be, imo.......................; i don't know,lol, In all Beyer that I know, no one sounds like the K550, but I am far from knowing all beyer headphones.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 174
I'm pretty sure the DT1350 isolates better but doesn't sound nearly as wide or as detailed. It might be as detailed but the rolled-off treble will hide it at first until you get used to it.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #20 of 174
I think when companies say 'portable,' they strictly mean that which can be driven by a portable source i.e ipod, cowon, nokia/samsung galaxy smartphone.

I only live in the world of closed full size headphones. I've never been able to get used to the on ear headphones, like the dt1350's are- can't find them comfortable enough for extensive long listening. Yea, the t70p looks to be like the main thing beyer can throw at this- and i've never heard it. Haven't got that much money left to throw at beyerdynamic!

By the way, thanks for the thanks everyone. I'm pleased to share my impressions of this very capable headphone.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 174
Well, there's stir around the transportable but not super portable Objective2 from JDS Labs. It's supposedly the best you'll find under $500 and it's about $150. The gain is probably too high, though it's easily fixed with two quick snips. If that's too much money, I'd look at FiiO's offerings.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #23 of 174
Great review thanks, very well organised!

I own the DT1350 and I have to say that they sound amazing, the only problem is that they are extremely unconfortable, honestly they cause me headache...the bass is the best I have ever heard (I had the Denon D7000, AKG k701, Shure 840, Senn hd 25 ii and I have the T70p), it is  so controlled and thight, very very beautiful. The middle range is just fantastic, female voices are amazing, sax and clarinet very realistic and full of details, but the greatest point of these headphones is the clarity of the middle range and the total absence of distortion, hiss or sibilance, no matter how high is the volume. Also the resolution is wonderful...

So since they are so damn uncomfortable for me (big head??) long listening is completely out of discussion and the first thing I thought was well let's get its big brother, the T70p...well very disappointed they are obviously very comfortable but so so harsh, there are tons of high frequencies, with some songs it is totally unlistenable with some other is quite good as long as the high part of the spectrum it is not there. Female voices are sibilant and unnutural (I found the same problem in the D7000, with also long long distant mid range), the midrange is quite good with very high resolution (tesla drivers?), the bass doesn't have a great impact really. The sound stage is quite good I have to say, one can hear a lot of air and ambience (sorry I don't know how to explain it in a better way).  Anyway very disappointed for the price I paid (they are leaving me soon).

I am going to give a try to the k550s could you tell me if they are punchy (do they have a good impact)? Also can you hear any sibilance in female voices and in general in high pitched instruments? I read the middle is a bit distant, I found this a very annoying thing in the D7000, making them a bit boring cans, is there the same problem with the k550?

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 174
Hey perm!  I was using my k550's with the new iBasso D7 and they sounded very nice.  A few things did kind of bug me a little: 

1).  The soundstage was impressive, but everything seemed a little distant.

2).  Bass was good but not very articulate.

Now I have the FiiO L2 IC going between the D7 and the cMoyBB and even though the cMoy is considered a "starter" portable amp, the addition of 2-9v batteries and an excellent op amp really brought the k550's to life.  Richer, fuller, the bass frequencies are not just deeper, but they hit harder and are far more refined.  The soundstage is still impressive, but it sounds more reigned in and deeper.  The 02 would blow the doors off the cMoy, but I was able to max out the options of this little amp, and add a good IC for just over $90.00. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #25 of 174

Quote:
Great review thanks, very well organised!

I own the DT1350 and I have to say that they sound amazing, the only problem is that they are extremely unconfortable, honestly they cause me headache...the bass is the best I have ever heard (I had the Denon D7000, AKG k701, Shure 840, Senn hd 25 ii and I have the T70p), it is  so controlled and thight, very very beautiful. The middle range is just fantastic, female voices are amazing, sax and clarinet very realistic and full of details, but the greatest point of these headphones is the clarity of the middle range and the total absence of distortion, hiss or sibilance, no matter how high is the volume. Also the resolution is wonderful...

So since they are so damn uncomfortable for me (big head??) long listening is completely out of discussion and the first thing I thought was well let's get its big brother, the T70p...well very disappointed they are obviously very comfortable but so so harsh, there are tons of high frequencies, with some songs it is totally unlistenable with some other is quite good as long as the high part of the spectrum it is not there. Female voices are sibilant and unnutural (I found the same problem in the D7000, with also long long distant mid range), the midrange is quite good with very high resolution (tesla drivers?), the bass doesn't have a great impact really. The sound stage is quite good I have to say, one can hear a lot of air and ambience (sorry I don't know how to explain it in a better way).  Anyway very disappointed for the price I paid (they are leaving me soon).

I am going to give a try to the k550s could you tell me if they are punchy (do they have a good impact)? Also can you hear any sibilance in female voices and in general in high pitched instruments? I read the middle is a bit distant, I found this a very annoying thing in the D7000, making them a bit boring cans, is there the same problem with the k550?

I know what you mean as i have much of the same feelings towards these sibilant headphones. The k550 is not sibilant at all. A major major plus.

The dt1350 has had great reviews BUT i don't care for it. On ear headphones like these are just far too uncomfortable to mean anything to me and so are pretty useless (the same way all open headphones are as I always need isolation/non leakage for all my listening sessions!)

Anyway, as i didn't do a side by side on the day comparison of the t5p with the k550 I can't really compare them with full accuracy. But the k550 really beats it in so many ways that it's not worth getting into if i haven't done so already. The k550 is many times less sibilant than the t5p/shure 940 and noticably less sibilant than the denon d2k/d5k.

Impact is great on this phone. It might not portray notes with the meat and smoothness of the denons and it might not be as 'fast' as the shure 940's but it's got a real bass presence that is very well balanced compared to the rest of the ranges. Just the correct impact with the bass. Just the correct tightness and depth. Overall It's a really good headphone that's better than so so many of the other closed (isolating/ non leaking) full size headphones out there. Oh and it's easily driven from a decent portable source like a cowon s9/ samsung sgs.

I've tried loads of full size headphones in the past and have found this to be definitely amongst the most picky about fit. I make sure that I can feel the very plushy pads push agaist unnderneath my ear as otherwise it slips towards the thin sounding bass light headphone region. Mind you, wearing it like this doesn't really involve a sacrifice in comfort. It's a king in this region.

It's up to you if you wanna get it. The way we all hear headphones is just so different- so unfortunately there's no way to know if you'll like it! 

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #26 of 174
I just tried these for half an hour in a shop, so just a superficial analysis...

- They look great and feel great, it is really well made, loads of metal (for sure magnesium because very light). The pads are extremely soft and they look real leather. The chord and the jack is also very very high quality.

- The comfort is as the K701, extremely comfortable...in my opinion nothing more comfortable than this. Brilliant

- Isolation I bet it is not the best in the world but definitely these cans don't annoy people around you while you are listening your favourite music. It doesn't isolate very well from the ambient noise, but again enough to feel like you are in your quiet personal place.

- The sound obiously, I compared them with my wonderful DT1350 right out of my Cowon D2. They are plenty loud at least as much the DT1350.

-The sound stage is the biggest I heard for sealed headphones.

- The highs are just enough without arshness or sibilance

- The middle frequencies are far, very clear but far

- the bass is there without any enphasis, the impact is not great but at the same time no absent

- No distortion and confusion with complex music like massive modern orchestras, it still does its job

These are very linear headphones and they don't do absolutely anything wrong...but but like for the K701 the sound has no body, it lacks of impact and it is not engaging, I would say it is a thin sound. One can hear the more subtle details (the highs are very clear) but the sound doesn't make you stopping doing something and put a smile on your face as the DT1350. The timbre of acoustic instruments is not real enough and all the microdynamics of middle frequencies always present in real life here is absent.

If your favourite heaphones are the K701 and you need some alternative closed headphones these are your cans (ah they obviously are not portable at all, unless something like a K701 is a portable can for you)

If you want the most comfortable can in the world (in my opinion) and you need it closed these are for you.

If you think that cans like the DT1350 are wonderful headphones in terms of body and realism and you think that they are super engaging but you want (like me!!!) something more comfortable with more sound stage without loosing realism dynamic and first of all fun, look somewhere else. I think you can wear these headphones for 24 hours without being aware of them, unfortunately in all the senses.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #27 of 174
nice impression mate. Im pleased that you haven't come to the conclusion that these are really bright and lack bass.

But you're right about it lacking body. The denon d5k are very good in this sense, where each individual note sounds more lasting, full and thicker. I suppose you could say more 'real' in this sense, so if this is important to you then the k550 won't cut it.

you know of this quest for the ultimate neutral headphone. This is the most neutral headphone i've ever heard. Thats a fact.

too bad that akg is hated on headfi. These cans never will get the appreciation they deserve.

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #28 of 174
It just so happens that I'm appreciating them right now.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #29 of 174
My first audition with the dt1350 left me speechless.

But the more I listen to them..  the more I grow to dislike them? Don't know why.

I even prefer the B&W p5 and ESW9 over the dt1350 now. Used to think these were the topdog portables

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #30 of 174
Yea, I also felt slightly similar, but overall I think it was the fit, I just don't feel comfortable with on ear, headphones. Though I still think its a very good portable can, just not my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back