AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Aug 4, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #3,871 of 4,058
What are your recalled impressions of the pairing?
I thought the K1000 driven by the Panache was a little bit on the lean side. The only amp that I had at the time that made
the K1000s sound warm and smooth was my old Mark Levinson No. 383 integrated amp. That amp was the same power
output as the Panache but it had a SQ more to my liking. I prefer a bit of warmth and musicality to my music so that you
know my preferences. The Panache is a great value amp. I think it may have been designed by Nelson Pass but I'm not
certain of that.

Aug 10, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,872 of 4,058
Full shell from Snugs, ultimate comfort.

FullSizeRender.jpg

80B42FBA-73FD-4AC9-A3CF-342962CB35BE.JPG

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #3,877 of 4,058
Full shell from Snugs, ultimate comfort.

What about the sound ? Is it worse or better ? I can't believe it is the same sound signature.

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #3,879 of 4,058
KSE1500 would be an upgrade. I'm actually looking at that one quite carefully. Much better deal than Sonoma, all things considered.

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #3,880 of 4,058
Never tried Andromeda so can't say if that's an upgrade or not. As for Xelento, if you value clarity, airyness and cleaner bass, then I would say no at all. Not to mention the actual earbud housing is not as robust as K3003i. If you like warmer tone and less analytical than Xelento can be consider an "upgrade"

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3,881 of 4,058
I went from 3003i to Xelento and, after adding a bit of treble in eq, I am very happy with the sound. Overall, more comfortable, easier to listen for long periods of time, quite musical and engaging sound.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #3,882 of 4,058
KSE1500 would be an upgrade. I'm actually looking at that one quite carefully. Much better deal than Sonoma, all things considered.
Yes probably, but much less mobile with the dedicated Amp :disappointed: and much more expensive :scream:
Never tried Andromeda so can't say if that's an upgrade or not. As for Xelento, if you value clarity, airyness and cleaner bass, then I would say no at all. Not to mention the actual earbud housing is not as robust as K3003i. If you like warmer tone and less analytical than Xelento can be consider an "upgrade"

I went from 3003i to Xelento and, after adding a bit of treble in eq, I am very happy with the sound. Overall, more comfortable, easier to listen for long periods of time, quite musical and engaging sound.
I moved to K3003i from Sennheiser IE800 and really liked the much bigger sound stage and its holographic sound. It seems that with Xelento it'll be quite a downgrade maybe even less the IE800, right?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3,885 of 4,058
I was looking for quite a while for any info regarding K3003i vs. Andromeda and couldn't find any. Maybe someone can direct me :arrow_down::arrow_up::arrow_left::arrow_right::grey_question:

Hi,
Here are my comments on the K3003 vs the AK T8ie mkii (the Astell and kern version of the Xelento) https://head-fi.org/threads/akg-k3003-high-end-3-way-system-headphone.554628/page-251#post-13241158. My view is that if you are looking at single dynamic drivers the pinnacle is either the Xelento/T8ie mk ii or the Dita's in their various manifestations. The IE800 was okay but I'd put it a rank below those two. For me the key was fit, here the Xelento is supreme. For what its worth I do not rate the much-lauded Campfire Vega finding it way to bass focused. The lower range Lyra is a more even handed iem but has its own problems (wind noise and the equalization vent). Please note this is with my ears, my sources and my music, YMMV.

For a brief comparo of the K3003 and the Andromeda this comment was made last year https://head-fi.org/threads/campfir...romeda-and-nova.805107/page-168#post-12758865. I found the Andromeda quite pleasant, but found that the housing was too large for ears (same with JH stuff and the 64 Audio gear). As I indicated to James in my earlier response, after the K3003 I found myself gravitating to a DD sound rather than a BA or a hybrid. The sound differences in driver technology should be considered. For what its worth, i did not find enough difference in the CA Dorado, their DD/2BA, over the K3003 to warrant a purchase. Happy to discuss.

regards,

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back