AKG K3003 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion
Jul 24, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #61 of 213
Filter swapping needs to be accompanied w/ corresponding tip selection.  Plus the bass filter messes up more than just the FR.  It's truly horrific and beyond offensive.  Not remotely as benign as the FR curve indicates in that graph.

That's a rather naughty channel imbalance btw.  Talk about poor coherence.  
wink_face.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #62 of 213
I really wonder if the acoustic impedance is high, it didn't seem like it IME. Insertion depth didn't matter much nor did bore size (the output of sound is smaller than the nozzle suggests), but I can't say for certain as my sessions were very brief and could only use Meelec double flanges and Sony Hybrids. 

Perhaps the distortion figures really rises with the bass filters, something that wasn't measured that I also hoped to look for. Those important midhighs are really sucked out with those filters though. 

As for the channel matching, it seems kind of shameful. Gave it the benefit of the doubt when Sonove's graphs suggested there was some mismatch, but these graphs just further the point. Seems they aren't precisely matched with measuring gear unlike Vsonic or Etymotic. But, I will only make that definite if Rin were to graph these to find a mismatch. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #63 of 213
Quote:

This review is quite nice.

Thanks for the link to another K3003 review -- have added a link to it to the first post on this thread.

Quote:
Plus the bass filter messes up more than just the FR.  It's truly horrific and beyond offensive.  Not remotely as benign as the FR curve indicates in that graph.

I agree that with the "bass boost" filter the K3003 sounds more different than the graph posted would suggest, and not for the better. That's the only filter I'd personally never use, a filter which reminded me a bit, at times, of the SM3, an IEM I never particularly enjoyed.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #64 of 213
Quote:
  There is no truly accurate realistic presentation (soundstage size) in IEMs, as the music is generally is mixed over loudspeakers. You can have a wider soundstage and such, but it's more of a coloration, I think imaging is the biggest factor in presentation as you preserve that ability to layer information despite the presentation change. I listen to mostly Jazz and Classical as well, IME the K3003 doesn't make me feel like the PFEs are falling flat on their face in presentation nor the ER4S. Matter of fact I prefer the superior imaging of the latter compared to wider stage but  very slightly more muddied imaging of the K3003. It's soundstage is nice though, it has a noticeable amount of height and width to it, reminding me of the Fischer Silver Bullets and it sounds "fun" because of it. It's still an IEM sort of soundstage though, the differences aren't huge. 

To me, differences in presentation are indeed significant and some IEMs seem to be designed with that aspect in mind, while others feel like it's been completely overlooked. But I've been here long enough to know that not everyone perceives spatiality similarly to myself and there are many fellow head-fiers that just don't. Interestingly, those who don't are often the ones who believe that presentation is of minor importance, so it's probably some kind of predisposition or just a matter of priorities, I honestly don't know. All I know is that I've been an avid concert-goer for most of my life (though growing a bit lazy lately) and with good live recordings I can recreate a most convincing illusion of attending the real event, provided the IEMs are up to the task.

That said, there's much more to presentation in my book than just a skewed frequency response (aka coloration). I probably could EQ the EX1000s to any given curve and still wouldn't be able to shrink their presentation to the confinement of an Ety MC5 (one of the most disappointing IEMs I've ever heard). Also, venting plays a big role imo, as well as other aspects like authority and vocal presence, but I'm well aware that those who don't share my perception of acoustics and space will rightfully shake their heads and move on.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #65 of 213
I do notice the space differences quite well, but it's when I compare them to loudspeakers or even certain full-size headphones that they become pretty minor. IEMs like the IE8s, EX1000, PS200, DDM2 and FX700s have the biggest stage I have heard, but have other properties that make them less realistic in certain aspects of soundstage (imaging and tone). EX1000s are a nice medium though, a good IEM which I plan to review very soon. 

Like I mention many times, soundstage size just can't be captured by FR, imaging, yes. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #66 of 213
I should have the K3003 in my possession within a couple of days.

FWIW, I found the ex1000 soundstage to dwarf the fx700. The ex1000, to me, was like an open air venue. The fx700 was like a medium sized concert hall or smaller. I've never heard a more convincing outdoor and airy soundtage. Simply grand to me. Sometimes I regret letting the Sony go...

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #68 of 213
The K3003 arrived today. I've only had very brief time with them but in that short time I can declare the bass filters a complete waste of time.  AKG might as well scrap those, they aren't doing anyone any favors.  I like both the reference and treble filters and will need to spend plenty time with both.

The immediate problem I have is insertion depth.  I don't really think the stock tips do the K3003 complete justice as I find deeper insertion improves the treble response, tone and timbre, much the same way it does for the CK10.  I tried my Meelec triple flanges that come with the A161p and those work very well, I'm just worried about stretching the stems out too much with the thicker nozzle of the K3003.  I'll have to experiment more with other tips.

I can see the concern over the upper portion of the cable above the split.  Where the cable exits the strain reliefs are an area of concern and I would definitely source buying the non microphone version.

It's amazing just how small the housings are.  Much smaller than I anticipated. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #69 of 213
Yeah I had a hard time with tips as well. My tips didn't fit it perfectly as the AKG nozzle goes rather keep. I just positioned them at the tips which worked best for me. I didn't use too deep of an insertion (may be due to my large tips as well) as I would lose the seal. The metal could be a bit irritating to my ears as well when using them for long periods of time, YMWV. If AKG was to offer replaceable cables I'd be much more apt to recommend these and even consider owning them. But with the poor strain reliefs I see many of these IEMs cables failing within warranty period and sadly after. At this price premium the cables are not sturdy enough in specific areas.

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #70 of 213
Quote:
The K3003 arrived today. I've only had very brief time with them but in that short time I can declare the bass filters a complete waste of time.  AKG might as well scrap those, they aren't doing anyone any favors.  I like both the reference and treble filters and will need to spend plenty time with both.

Funny, I've had the K3003 for several weeks before I even bothered to try the bass filters, since the reference filters already provide ample bass. I'm not a fan of the treble filters either, makes them uneven imo and sacrifices too much of their low volume dynamics.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #71 of 213
Quote:

The immediate problem I have is insertion depth.  I don't really think the stock tips do the K3003 complete justice as I find deeper insertion improves the treble response, tone and timbre, much the same way it does for the CK10.  I tried my Meelec triple flanges that come with the A161p and those work very well, I'm just worried about stretching the stems out too much with the thicker nozzle of the K3003.  I'll have to experiment more with other tips.

I can see the concern over the upper portion of the cable above the split.  Where the cable exits the strain reliefs are an area of concern and I would definitely source buying the non microphone version.

It's amazing just how small the housings are.  Much smaller than I anticipated. 

I'm one of those lucky people who 95% of the time gets a perfect fit with stock tips, and it's generally the stock medium ones that tend do the trick for me. Having said that, I'm not so sure deeper insertion will benefit the K3003s, or that AKG intended such type of fit. One thing you have to be careful with is not blocking the vents found at the base of the nozzles. I wonder, too, whether deeper insertion will really "improve the treble response, tone and timbre" --- perhaps in your case it will --after all, our ears and ear canals are different, apart from the obvious fact that we may have (slightly) different takes on what proper "treble response, tone and timbre" is-- but I do have to wonder whether bass response may suffer (if only a little) as a result of such deep insertion. I'm pretty curious to see how you'll hear things as you experiment with diff tips.

With regards to the cable above the Y-split, I honestly don't find any issues there with the non-remote model; if these IEMs are not abused, and are taken care of, I don't see why there should be any cable issues at all (I wear my K3003s with the cable down, not over the ear, BTW). My guess is these cables should last many years, and certainly way beyond the two-year warranty period.

Those (like shotgunshane) auditioning bizkit's K3003 set (on the K3003 loaner tour) should know that bizkit purchased 3 (or was it 4?) K3003 sets (because, I believe, he spends time in different countries and prefers to have an AKG set in each country), and he has stated a couple of times that he tends to abuse his IEMs. Perhaps bizkit sent his 'worst' K3003 pair on the loaner tour? I seem to remember bizkit saying he went through 3 (?) sets of EX1000s within a short period of time -- I personally used my EX1000s extensively for 8 months and had no cable issues, and when I sold them, the cable looked as good as new, but I'm someone who does look after their gear. There have been three other members who have spent some time with bizkit's K3003s, two of whom have kept them for a long time --- obviously we don't know how they themselves treated the AKGs, even when they may claim they were passed on to the next person in the exact same condition they were received (sadly, it's a fact that many people don't look after the gear they borrow).

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the treble filters either, makes them uneven imo and sacrifices too much of their low volume dynamics.

I agree the "treble boost" filter affects low volume dynamics -- I, however, might not say "too much", but it's clearly pretty noticeable.

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #72 of 213
I've only tried the treble filters for a couple of songs and it was at a higher volume.  I did like the analytical nature of the treble filters. I can say the reference filters are excellent at low volume listening.  They really sound great at extremely low volume.

Regarding insertion depth: my canals are pretty wide and straight-ish.  I get a tiny bit of treble resonance with certain frequencies and too shallow a fit sometimes.  The GR07 would occasionally cause ringing for me.  A little bit deeper insertion really smooths out and improves treble response for me.  That being said, I do find an easy and comfortable fit with the medium stock tips but get some treble resonance.  I'm sure this is not something that will apply to everyone or perhaps not even most, as I've never heard people complain of the ringing in the GR07.

I will get some long listening sessions with the reference filter later this morning and afternoon.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #73 of 213
Quote:
Those (like shotgunshane) auditioning bizkit's K3003 set (on the K3003 loaner tour) should know that bizkit purchased 3 (or was it 4?) K3003 sets (because, I believe, he spends time in different countries and prefers to have an AKG set in each country), and he has stated a couple of times that he tends to abuse his IEMs. Perhaps bizkit sent his 'worst' K3003 pair on the loaner tour?

Nope, he sent me a new-in-box unit directly from the retailer.  I used my usual gentle run in/ramp up procedure for a week before posting about them.  

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #74 of 213
I don't think anyone abused these IEMs. They were packaged well upon receipt. Just the strain relief point connected to the IEMs are the weak point of this IEM. I see it being even more so of a week-point than the ipod volume control on it. Didn't you mention of having your unit serviced due to cable issues as well music_4321? I'm sure you don't abuse your IEMs or equipment for that matter.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #75 of 213
Quote:
I don't think anyone abused these IEMs. They were packaged well upon receipt. Just the strain relief point connected to the IEMs are the weak point of this IEM. I see it being even more so of a week-point than the ipod volume control on it. Didn't you mention of having your unit serviced due to cable issues as well music_4321? I'm sure you don't abuse your IEMs or equipment for that matter.

No cable issues whatsoever. It was the remote which had some issues (the "Rewind/ Play previous track" functions didn't work properly)

I don't see anything wrong with the strain reliefs at the housings.

What I've never liked about the K3003s was the leather case, which simply isn't right for these IEMs, and doesn't help keep the cables in perfect shape -- this is something I mentioned to AKG Austria when they replaced my older pair, as well as the lack of strain reliefs at both ends of the remote unit, which, in my view, are the real weak points, but only in the i-model, of course. I've been using a 1010 Pelican case since day one, so the cables on both AKGs pairs I've had have always looked as good as new, but there are plenty of small cheap cases which would be much more suitable than the very smart, but ultimately impractical, hand-made leather case; a case which can, in fact, affect the condition of the cables! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back