AKG K3003 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion
Jul 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #46 of 213
Rudi, have you tried swapping the reference filters between the older and newer K3003? I highly doubt that AKG would have changed the crossovers between batches, but it's entirely possible imo, that a new batch of filters might sound slightly different.

We have not tried swapping the reference filters James between the older and newer Aki k 3003 .

We compared the old and the new badge with their filter , and we found out the sound quality in the newer badge more balance and less harshness .

Tomorrow we will compare our Akg k3003 new badge vs Fit Ear to go 334

We want self hear the sound quality diffrerent between two universal high end iem

The impression we will post by tomorrow night

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #47 of 213
Quote:
We have not tried swapping the reference filters James between the older and newer Aki k 3003 .
We compared the old and the new badge with their filter , and we found out the sound quality in the newer badge more balance and less harshness .
Tomorrow we will compare our Akg k3003 new badge vs Fit Ear to go 334
We want self hear the sound quality diffrerent between two universal high end iem
The impression we will post by tomorrow night

If you come to the conclusion the TO GO 334 is a better sounding IEM than the K3003, you are NOT welcomed to post on this thread any more.  :wink:

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #49 of 213
Hi Audio Omega,

I think your question depends on too many variables to be definitive, my fellow Antipodean. In a truly portable sense ie commuting, unlikely  - due to factors such as external noise and stimuli, constraints on source and amplification. In a quiet place away from noise ie libraries, possibly but unlikely due to cost versus portability.  

I know that a lot of our colleagues will point to things like the Fostex Hp-p1 and the iBasso Dx100 and the plethora of balanced portable amps as examples of the narrowing gap between portable and desktop, but let's be blunt and not fanboys - on a dollar for dollar basis you will always get more from a desktop than a portable in absolute sq. There are no limitations on power supplies for amps and dacs on a desktop, the range of topologies is greater, the capacity to reduce interference of all types is greater, etc.

Now can you get great sound from a portable setup? Yes, you can and I suspect for a large number of head-fiers they would prefer to spend more on a portable setup than on a mid-fi desktop. Certainly the rise of custom and top-tier iems like the K3003 dramatically narrows the gap of ten years ago in ultimate sq, but certainly here in Oz at a prohibitive price. 

Who knows whether in 10 years, the distinction will be vanishingly small between high-end portable and desktop, I doubt it but fun will be trying the options!

regards,

Giles

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #50 of 213
Quote:
Could a high end portable rig be as good as a desktop one ?

It's kinda hard to attain that. You can get pretty close and even better than some desktop rigs but ultimately the desktop rigs will have the advantage and usually will be a bit cheaper than the more expensive portables (depending on what you opt for).

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #51 of 213
If you come to the conclusion the TO GO 334 is a better sounding IEM than the K3003, you are NOT welcomed to post on this thread any more.  :wink:

Yesterday I spend about 3 hours to test the sound different between Akg k3003 and the fit ear to go 334 and the universal demo for custom Fit Ear 335 MD

Source : iPhone 4 S
IBasso DX 100
Portable amp : headstage arrow 4 G
RSA. RS 71 B

Akg k 3003 vs fit ear to go 334 almost the same price range

Direct IPhone 4 S

File music : WAV jazz, audiophile and classical music

Akg k 3003 : more easy to drive compare to fit ear to go 334

High :
Akg k 3003 : fuller and smoother than fit ear 334
Fit ear 334 : high a bit harsh compare to Akg k 3003

Mid :
Akg k 3003 : has warmer mid than fit ear 334
Fit ear 334 : mid thiner than Akg k 3003 , sound a bit clearer

Bass :
Akg k 3003 : more in low bass region
Fit ear 334 : more in mid bass region , sound more bass impact than Akg k 3003

Overall : direct iPhone 4 S , I prefer my Akg k 3003 more enjoyable and more easy to drive .
The different is not that big between these two high end iems

With arrow 4 G and RS 71 B

Overall : Sound quality as my Impression above , with better detail and bass impact .

Akg k 3003 is not so ampli choosy

Fit ear more amply choosy .

Akg k 3003 vs fit ear 334 vs fit ear 335 custom demo unit

With arrow 4 G and IPhone 4 S

Akg k 3003 = fit ear 334 > than fit ear 335

Fit ear 335 more choosy ampli
With this set up above , the bass to much in low region like you hear from subwoofer
High also no so shining like Akg k 3003 and fits ear 334.mid also sound not so clear compare
To two .

With RSA RS 71 B

This is the synergie amp for fit ear 335 MD ( Price wise fit ear 335 MD almost $ 2000 Usd )

Fit ear 335 MD >> fit ear 334 = Akg k 3003

High : become open and more extended and very fine sounding high

Mid : more sweet and lush

Bass: the best bass impact and detail

Conclusion : fit ear 335 md is the best custom iem I ever heard To date
With the synergie amp , fit ear 335 is better than my JH 16 pro and UM Miracle

This is my personal impression

If I wish to buy fit ear for my collection , I will buy fit ear 335 not fit ear 334 .
Because SQ 334 is almost the same like my Akg k 3003 . For direct I prefer my Akg k 3003
More easy to drive and isn't picky with amp.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #52 of 213
Interesting. I also got a custom-universal IEM on loan from another fellow headfier (not sure exactly what the model is yet). But I am pleasantly surprised at the sound quality. I am preferring it to the AKG3003. It is also a Hybrid IEM with 2 BA and 1 Dynamic driver in each side. The sound staging is amazing. It reminds me of the IE80 but much more detailed. I much prefer this type of presentation as it surrounds me and keeps me engaged in the sound. Detail is up there with the AKGs. I'm still trying to determine which one is more detailed. Overall the mid-range on these IEMs are fuller and more intimate IMO. The bass has a bit more quantity. It seems to reach deeper as well than the AKGs. This IEM doesn't have the coherency issue like the AKG does. I don't feel disconnected when listening to them. I'll post more details once I've had more time with these IEMs including the model and price. I do remember being told they are around $900.00 which is still  significantly cheaper than the AKGs. :).

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #53 of 213
I thought a portable rig would be cheaper.  Hopefully I will be happy with the sound of an ipod with AKG K3003.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #57 of 213
Quote:
Yesterday I spend about 3 hours to test the sound different between Akg k3003 and the fit ear to go 334 and the universal demo for custom Fit Ear 335 MD...

Thanks for your (further) impressions -- have added a link to them to the first post on this thread.

Quote:
Reserved for my impressions and review.

Mr Sil3nce -- it's just over two months since you reserved a space in this fine thread for your impressions. Go on, be brave and post your genuine thoughts on the AKGs. It's perfectly fine if you find your CK10s a more enjoyable listen and/or a better phone than the K3003s. At least do it for bizkit.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #58 of 213
Thanks for your (further) impressions -- have added a link to them to the first post on this thread.

Mr Sil3nce -- it's just over two months since you reserved a space in this fine thread for your impressions. Go on, be brave and post your genuine thoughts on the AKGs. It's perfectly fine if you find your CK10s a more enjoyable listen and/or a better phone than the K3003s. At least do it for bizkit.

Thank you music _4321

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #59 of 213
I thought it appropriate to copy and paste the following post found on the FitEar TO GO! 334 thread:

Quote:

Quote:
I always have longer listening sessions with my K3003 as compared with FitEar Mh334 ToGo.   I guess the K3003 is more forgiving on most sources and less picky on which amps they pair.   A warmer signature i guess, which i like, and i really listen to the music even though it is obvious than MH334 is technically more efficient (less flaws) /analytical.

I haven't heard the 334s, from what I've been gathering so far they seem too akin to my UERMs (though probably a bit darker) to spark my interest. Speaking of which, I feel the same about the K3003 vs. UERM, the latter may be technically (slightly) more proficient, but I find myself listening to the former more frequently and for longer stretches.

Quote:
[Speaking of the K003s] another flaw that I was referring to is the imaging, which I find incredibly fun, but also very odd, they are literally like those surround effect that you get from EQ. Most of the time the image is very 3D and prominent, even more so than the TG334, I enjoy this though I know it sound off sometimes.

I agree that the K3003 are spacious and 3D, but would consider that a strength rather than a flaw. And to these ears they don't do surround effects like the SM3, i.e. sounds originating from all around your head. If they did that, I would have gotten rid of them in no time.

There's a lot of talk about accuracy on head-fi, but almost always limited to speed, tone, timbre, to matching some target curve on a graph. Almost no one seems to be interested in accurate, realistic presentation. No, I'm not saying that everything should sound like a live recording (like some would mockingly put it), but a live recording should sound just like that. In classical and jazz (two of my favorite genres) there's an abundance of excellent live recordings that require a lifelike presentation to make them come alive. Here's where some of the technically most proficient darling IEMs of these forums fall flat on their face.  I'm curious about how the 334s would fare in that regard, the K3003 at least do a really admirable job in making live recordings come alive.

I'd like to take james444's last sentence, "...the K3003 at least do a really admirable job in making live recordings come alive", and add that, to me, the K3003 'brings life' to many studio recordings, ie they do not sound like live recordings per se, but the K3003s seem to 'inject' life to a lot of music recorded in the studio, or make many such recordings more musical -- this should not necessarily be confused with the commonly used term "fun", though it can certainly be more fun for people to hear music presented this way. Of course the terms "musical" and "bringing/injecting life to music" are rather tricky because they seem to be highly personal and, obviously, they cannot be measured.

Although I wouldn't personally use the term "3D" to describe how the K3003s present music --ie the way I hear sounds in real life (true 3D, that is) is not really that close to what I hear coming out of the AKGs-- I personally use the term "open" or, in this case, very open-sounding, with a decent amount of depth while the AKGs are still capable of excellent detail retrieval and --dare I say-- all done in a fairly cohesive manner. The dynamic range covered by the K3003 is also, often, an overlooked aspect of this IEM.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #60 of 213
James444
There's a lot of talk about accuracy on head-fi, but almost always limited to speed, tone, timbre, to matching some target curve on a graph. Almost no one seems to be interested in accurate, realistic presentation. No, I'm not saying that everything should sound like a live recording (like some would mockingly put it), but a live recordingshould sound just like that. In classical and jazz (two of my favorite genres) there's an abundance of excellent live recordings that require a lifelike presentation to make them come alive. Here's where some of the technically most proficient darling IEMs of these forums fall flat on their face.  I'm curious about how the 334s would fare in that regard, the K3003 at least do a really admirable job in making live recordings come alive.

There is no truly accurate realistic presentation (soundstage size) in IEMs, as the music is generally is mixed over loudspeakers. You can have a wider soundstage and such, but it's more of a coloration, I think imaging is the biggest factor in presentation as you preserve that ability to layer information despite the presentation change. I listen to mostly Jazz and Classical as well, IME the K3003 doesn't make me feel like the PFEs are falling flat on their face in presentation nor the ER4S. Matter of fact I prefer the superior imaging of the latter compared to wider stage but  very slightly more muddied imaging of the K3003. It's soundstage is nice though, it has a noticeable amount of height and width to it, reminding me of the Fischer Silver Bullets and it sounds "fun" because of it. It's still an IEM sort of soundstage though, the differences aren't huge. 

This review is quite nice. What I gather from it...

"standard filter (green trace), treble boost filter (purple trace), and bass boost filter (cyan trace)"
I can understand how it can be said that the treble filter is more revealing, but it makes it a bit uneven, guess joker had a point. 

A better alternative seems to be to add resistance, the K3003 likes it...

blue=5ohm resistance, green=75ohm resistance

You get a subbass boost and the overall treble gets more presence, users should give it a go. They probably don't even need 75ohms for these results 33ohms may be just enough for the same amount of boost, same case as the W4. The differences are kind of small though, so that is why I will recommend the 33ohm boost first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back