AKG K3003 — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion
Jul 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #32 of 213
Hi Audio-Omega,

Best price in Australia is the only price in Australia. Addicted to Audio are as best as is known the only retailers of the K3003 in Oz. Moreover stock has been delayed from May to June to now mid July. They further state the importer is only bringing in the remote version - so Singapore is your only optionfor non-remote. RRP is AUD 1300, but the price is negotiable with A2A. Email them and see what they say.

Regards,

Giles

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #33 of 213
Quote:
Anybody know what happened to Bizkit's K3003 tour?

Anaxilus I currently have the AKGs on hand and will be sending them out to ShotgunShane after next week. I have to admit the AKGs sound is quite addicting and detailed. I ended up preferring the reference screens for the majority of listening but the high booster does also have it's usage on certain genes/songs. IMO I also find this filter to be technically better than the Reference Screen and helps to mitigate the coherency issues. But due to the treble becoming sibilant in certain tracks it isn't the clear winner. The bass boost is a mess, won't even go their.

From a technical standpoint the AKG 3003s are good in all 3 areas (treble, mid-range, bass). I feel they excel the most in the treble area particularly. The mid-range and bass can feel a bit disconnected which has been mentioned due to the hybrid design. I am still very much considering purchasing a pair for myself in the future. That will depend if Sennheiser can poison me with their IE800. Not only do the AKGs excel in music but in gaming as well. My current IEMs already make me pretty cheat in game but the AKGs just gave everything away (especially spacial positioning of the enemies). I always knew where people are and due to this could predict and attack beforehand getting the frag most times. The sound staging and imaging are spectacular and are these IEMs strong suite.

Now do I feel the AKGs are worth their asking price? I have to say yes and I've been hearing others getting deals ($200 off from list price) and at that price range definitely. This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt if you will. I don't think these IEMs deserve the rap they are getting. But then again I can understand at such a price point. The coherency issue is what has me on the fence regarding them. Now if that was to be addressed these IEMs would be a dream to own.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #36 of 213
I have bought my Akg K 3003 on 31.11.2011 from the first badge with the Serien Number  below 1000.

one month a go i wenn by my friend House and tried his Akg K 3003 with the Serien Number above 2000

As i compare A and B with my Akg K 3003 from the first badge with the serien number below 1000 , his Akg K 3003 with the serien

number above 2000 has better tonal balance , better Sound Quality specialy the mid sound fuller and full body than mine .

As i met another friend got from RMA , he has BINB from the new badge with the serien number above 2000 and as i compare with my 

friend from the first badge , the sound quality from the new badge with the serien number  above 2000 is better.

my conculsion : The new badge with the serien number above 2000 has better Sound Quaity
                        more refinement , more body , better tonal balance.
                        My first badge sound a bit thiner in mid amd tonal balance is not so good like the new badge .
                        at the end i sold mine first badge and bought my new badge with serien number above 2000.

This is my personal impression

Anybody know about this sound quality improvement from Akg K 3003 , please share here.

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #37 of 213
Quote:
lee730, how did they perform with classical / movie music ?

Omega I'm listening to classical right now and the AKGs are doing really nice in general with it. Surprisingly the AKGs aren't as genre-specific as I had thought they would be. They are decent all-arouners to be honest.

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #38 of 213
Quote:
I have bought my Akg K 3003 on 31.11.2011 from the first badge with the Serien Number  below 1000.

one month a go i wenn by my friend House and tried his Akg K 3003 with the Serien Number above 2000

As i compare A and B with my Akg K 3003 from the first badge with the serien number below 1000 , his Akg K 3003 with the serien

number above 2000 has better tonal balance , better Sound Quality specialy the mid sound fuller and full body than mine .

As i met another friend got from RMA , he has BINB from the new badge with the serien number above 2000 and as i compare with my 

friend from the first badge , the sound quality from the new badge with the serien number  above 2000 is better.

my conculsion : The new badge with the serien number above 2000 has better Sound Quaity
                        more refinement , more body , better tonal balance.
                        My first badge sound a bit thiner in mid amd tonal balance is not so good like the new badge .
                        at the end i sold mine first badge and bought my new badge with serien number above 2000.

This is my personal impression

Anybody know about this sound quality improvement from Akg K 3003 , please share here.

Very interesting. In a way I hope your claims are valid because that would means if I'm enjoying the older model AKG the newer revision could be even more enjoyable. It kinda sounds like the newer ones aren't as disjointed or have more coherency from your comments.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #39 of 213
My first K3003 pair (the remote/mic version) was purchased on 2nd January 2012, serial number 029X. I got my second K3003 pair (non-remote/mic model) 5 months later, serial number 24XX.

There was a one-month gap between both pairs, ie I had no K3003 for a whole month. I spent most of that month with the exceptionally good FI-BA-SS, which to these ears goes head-to-head with the AKGs, that is, both are absolutely brilliant-sounding IEMs. When I got my second K3003 pair, I didn't seem to notice a difference --or improvement, in this case-- in SQ between the old and new sets but, obviously, I didn't do a direct comparison so I cannot really say rudi0504 is wrong.

---------------------------------

That said, although both K3003 pairs I've owned have had a wonderful and distinct DD bass type sound --with excellent extension, BTW-- I did not then, and do not now, hear the coherence issues described by some people, an issue that, curiously enough ---as is VERY often seen on Head-fi--- only seemed to become apparent once a single member happened to mention it, a member who is quite influential on HF (and seems to have a rather strong following, not unlike that of Joker), with plenty of credibility, but someone who, in my view, clearly did not test the K3003s properly, and in less than ideal circumstances, coupled with what I personally found to be a (strong) bias against AKG, which is now owned by Harman. From that point onwards, it seems that almost everyone who now listens to this IEM --and has come across such views-- has got to say that there are so-called coherence issues. Perhaps there really is some kind of coherence issue after all, but I can't help thinking that the way it's been 'discovered'/'detected' AND described by some in the last few months is not only far from accurate, but often rather exaggerated. It's as if ---and I'm sorry to be so blunt--- mentioning such issues one gained more credibility, much like those who tend to use plenty of audio terms to appear credible, knowledgeable & experienced.

While I personally can generally tell the difference between a dynamic driver type bass from a balanced armature type bass, I find that AKG managed to implement both types of drivers/technology brilliantly in the K3003s. Like I said to Inks over a month ago -- if I read some of the things that have been written about the K3003s from a particular point in time (a few months back) onwards, I would not like to try, let alone purchase, the K3003s.

Is the K3003 my favourite IEM? No, it isn't at present. The Piano Forte IX is my favourite IEM currently, but it is one IEM I would most certainly NOT recommend to most people because of possible serious fit issues, the near complete lack of isolation and, specially, the very peculiar type of sound signature these IEMs have, which several (or perhaps many) people would simply not appreciate. The Piano Forte IX, being a single DD IEM could even be said to be somewhat 'flawed', or rather imperfect in a way, although its imperfections seem to be intentional, ie the PF IX's distinct flavour was intended that way.

FWIW, I honestly don't know which IEM I prefer between the K3003 and the FI-BA-SS -- that's how much I really love the latter, but I'd still recommend the K3003 to more people if they can afford the AKGs. The rather peculiar and somewhat puzzling 'rawness', amongst other things, of the FI-BA-SS will not be everyone's cup of tea, but several people who 'get it', and also happen to get a good fit, seem to get hooked.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #40 of 213
Very interesting. In a way I hope your claims are valid because that would means if I'm enjoying the older model AKG the newer revision could be even more enjoyable. It kinda sounds like the newer ones aren't as disjointed or have more coherency from your comments.

Yes your comment is correct , the latest badge is more enjoyable and more coherence compare to the first badge Akg k 3003 that I had already enjoy .
If you have the chance please compare A and B like me

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #41 of 213
My first K3003 pair (the remote/mic version) was purchased on 2nd January 2012, serial number 029X. I got my second K3003 pair (non-remote/mic model) 5 months later, serial number 24XX.

There was a one-month gap between both pairs, ie I had no K3003 for a whole month. I spent most of that month with the exceptionally good FI-BA-SS, which to these ears goes head-to-head with the AKGs, that is, both are absolutely brilliant-sounding IEMs. When I got my second K3003 pair, I didn't seem to notice a difference --or improvement, in this case-- in SQ between the old and new sets but, obviously, I didn't do a direct comparison so I cannot really say rudi0504 is wrong.

---------------------------------

That said, although both K3003 pairs I've owned have had a wonderful and distinct DD bass type sound --with excellent extension, BTW-- I did not then, and do not now, hear the coherence issues described by some people, an issue that, curiously enough ---as is VERY often seen on Head-fi--- only seemed to become apparent once a single member happened to mention it, a member who is quite influential on HF (and seems to have a rather strong following, not unlike that of Joker), with plenty of credibility, but someone who, in my view, clearly did not test the K3003s properly, and in less than ideal circumstances, coupled with what I personally found to be a (strong) bias against AKG, which is now owned by Harman. From that point onwards, it seems that almost everyone who now listens to this IEM --and has come across such views-- has got to say that there are so-called coherence issues. Perhaps there really is some kind of coherence issue after all, but I can't help thinking that the way it's been 'discovered'/'detected' AND described by some in the last few months is not only far from accurate, but often rather exaggerated. It's as if ---and I'm sorry to be so blunt--- mentioning such issues one gained more credibility, much like those who tend to use plenty of audio terms to appear credible, knowledgeable & experienced.

While I personally can generally tell the difference between a dynamic driver type bass from a balanced armature type bass, I find that AKG managed to implement both types of drivers/technology brilliantly in the K3003s. Like I said to Inks over a month ago -- if I read some of the things that have been written about the K3003s from a particular point in time (a few months back) onwards, I would not like to try, let alone purchase, the K3003s.

Is the K3003 my favourite IEM? No, it isn't at present. The Piano Forte IX is my favourite IEM currently, but it is one IEM I would most certainly NOT recommend to most people because of possible serious fit issues, the near complete lack of isolation and, specially, the very peculiar type of sound signature these IEMs have, which several (or perhaps many) people would simply not appreciate. The Piano Forte IX, being a single DD IEM could even be said to be somewhat 'flawed', or rather imperfect in a way, although its imperfections seem to be intentional, ie the PF IX's distinct flavour was intended that way.

FWIW, I honestly don't know which IEM I prefer between the K3003 and the FI-BA-SS -- that's how much I really love the latter, but I'd still recommend the K3003 to more people if they can afford the AKGs. The rather peculiar and somewhat puzzling 'rawness', amongst other things, of the FI-BA-SS will not be everyone's cup of tea, but several people who 'get it', and also happen to get a good fit, seem to get hooked.

3 of us have heard 3 Akg k 3003 with the series number above 2000, all 3 sound identical and have better sq than ours first badge with the series number below 1000

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #42 of 213
^ That's interesting. I don't doubt what you, and those people you mention, are hearing. I really don't. I also know that auditory memory is not very reliable, and that's why I specifically said I didn't do a direct side-by-side comparison between the two sets I've had.

And speaking of auditory memory, psychological factors and the power of suggestion, here's something interesting. I felt that my second K3003 set had a slightly more precise L-R channel balance, but being fairly aware of how our minds can sometimes play tricks on us, I believe a not so unconscious part of me was, in effect, wanting to hear such a difference/improvement when, in actual fact, I can't honestly say there was such a difference -- there was no remote/mic between the Y-split and the right earpiece on my second pair which might have been 'interfering' --if only minimally-- with a 100% clean signal reaching the right housing on my first pair. Who knows. That said, I do prefer, and originally did my best to try to get, the non-remote/mic model for that and other reasons. 'Fortunately', in my case, I had issues with the remote after a few months with my first set, so by then I was prepared --more than ever-- to wait as long as necessary to get the non-i model.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #43 of 213
I'd definitely opt for the none-remote version as well. I just see the remote as an accident waiting to happen (another weak link in the chain). On a side note AKG could really do a better job at designing the wire connectors directly to the housing. The rest of the cable is actually really durable but I see the connection point being the cause of most AKG failures (the demo unit I received has memory at the connection point on the right driver; I received the item in that condition).

Regarding your comment music, my opinion still remains the same on the coherency issue. It's not a complete deal breaker for me (and a spark of light points to the newer model possibly mitigating this issue somewhat). Nor do I closely follow Purrin which I know that is where the comment stems from. I found his comments more comical than anything but it is still his opinion and I'll respect it none-the-less. Just as I hear the EX1000 as sibilant garbage, most others hear them as heavenly. I'm not sure if it's due to the structure of my ear canals amplifying the apparent treble spikes (which are evident in the graphs) or just that I'm sensitive to those treble spikes regardless. In the end that IEM wasn't for me and I can see this happening for everyone with different equipment.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #44 of 213
3 of us have heard 3 Akg k 3003 with the series number above 2000, all 3 sound identical and have better sq than ours first badge with the series number below 1000

Rudi, have you tried swapping the reference filters between the older and newer K3003? I highly doubt that AKG would have changed the crossovers between batches, but it's entirely possible imo, that a new batch of filters might sound slightly different.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #45 of 213
Initial impressions by [b]driver 8[/b]:

I'm not sure if something was messing with my hearing earlier, 2-3 hour burn-in is a thing, or if it was just a manner of contrast between the Sextetts I was wearing prior receiving them, but the K3003's are starting to sound better to me.  The bass doesn't sound as exaggerated (which I forgot to mention before) and while there are still some pesky S issues, it's not bothering me as much.  A lot of music I listen to has inherent sibilance, though; I think I've been spoiled a bit by the ES5's, which are still probably what I'd keep if I could only have one earphone, despite the 334's being a bit more technically capable. 

But yeah, when sibilance isn't an issue these sound really nice.  There's a simultaneous sense of heft and airiness to vocals that's rather addictive.  Their midbass also has some delicious texture to it, not exactly like, but akin to that I enjoy on the LCD2 rev.2's.  When I said "congested" earlier, it wasn't in reference to the size of the soundstage, which is kinda big, but instrument separation that the bassiness and sibilance were messing with.  I'm not really hearing that anymore, so yeah, these are airy but convey a nice sense of weight regardless.

They also benefit quite a bit from amping, more so than I thought they would when I read that they are 8ohms (are they actually? they don't sound like it), but most of my listening thus far has been straight out of an ipod for the sake of portability.

**...mine's #17XX if that matters (I hope it doesn't)**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back