AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #706 of 1,152
Quote:
I didn't look at the mad dogs because of the need of a good amp, I'm looking at some closed back cans that can be driven easily with E17 (because I might bring it out).

hmm. As you can see, a lot of people are recommending the M100's, but I'd wait for the K267 vs M100 comparison if I were you.

I would assume the M100's would be a darker headphone. It's a bass monster after all.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #707 of 1,152
Quote:
hmm. As you can see, a lot of people are recommending the M100's, but I'd wait for the K267 vs M100 comparison if I were you.

I would assume the M100's would be a darker headphone. It's a bass monster after all.

I'm sure you've heard the old saying when you assume
wink.gif
.  The M-100 is not even close to being a dark bass monster.  I don't believe anyone who owns them would describe them that way.  I am not even saying that would be a negative thing if that is someone's preference, it's just not the M-100.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #708 of 1,152
The ergonomics of the headphone are just fine. It's not loose or clampy, it's just right.

The problem is that the pads don't do what they're supposed to do. The walls of the pads basically compress down to nothing when you put the cans on. They go from being over ear to on ear because the pads squish inwards and reduce the area your ears have to fit inside.

+1.

They are not as hot as the ATH-M50 or beats but still more on ear than over ear. If you are a chica, even small stud earrings cause some discomfort

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #709 of 1,152
 i was really trying to decide between M100 and K267, but this doesn't sound too good for the k267, however, no one seems to be giving the break-in a chance.  

I never heard the vmodas so can't comment but as for burn in I have to say these are opening up a bit in the bass. When I first listened, there was little to no change in bass with the selector but now on bass heavy tracks I think I can hear a difference with "stage" oddly having the most bass. The more I listen, the more they are growing on me but the build quality is still sub par (logo unglued from earcup, slight scratches/knicks near the mini XLR/cheap sliding feeling to bass mechanism) enough to want to go back to the 550/551s. They seem to have more bass than the 550 though and I think they still retain that AKG"ness" of clear and neutral mids with crisp highs.

An amp helps as I have listened via a Dragonfly as well as an RSA SR-71a but they sound decent enough unamped out my iPhone 5 that it is not needed. Very portable as well - folds up nicely.

If they were in the $170ish range, they'd be a decent HP but again, for the price I still think AKG skimped.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #710 of 1,152
Quote:
I'm sure you've heard the old saying when you assume
wink.gif
.  The M-100 is not even close to being a dark bass monster.  I don't believe anyone who owns them would describe them that way.  I am not even saying that would be a negative thing if that is someone's preference, it's just not the M-100.

Instead I only made an a** out of myself lol. How would you describe the highs?

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #711 of 1,152
Quote:
Instead I only made an a** out of myself lol. How would you describe the highs?

A dark signature is a dealbreaker for me- Velodyne VTrue was immediately returned because they were missing too much of the high end despite "studio quality" claims by the manufacturer.  The highs of M-100 are extended without being harsh at all.  Not as bright as a Beyer or Ultrasone (for my taste, a good thing; others prefer it), or a K550 but definitely bright enough that you don't feel you are missing anything and you still have sparkle.  The M-100 is my portable audiophile headphone.  Mids are surprisingly lifelike and detailed.   Vocals are fantastic.  Yes, they have a solid bass punch, but I never feel that it overwhelms the music.  I am actually looking for something with more visceral bass that is genre specific, but I'm not hearing that the K267, even on Stage, is bringing anything special to the table.  I am going to try the NuForce HP-800 to see if they are the "bass monsters" I am looking for when I am in the mood for Pitbull or Kesha.  They are less than half the price of the K267, but they are not much on looks and definitely aren't portable.  I have a few other contenders to try before I either settle 100% with bass boost on my M-100 or go for broke and pick up Ultrasone Signature DJs.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #715 of 1,152
Quote:
... The more I listen, the more they are growing on me but the build quality is still sub par (logo unglued from earcup, slight scratches/knicks near the mini XLR/cheap sliding feeling to bass mechanism) enough to want to go back to the 550/551s. ...
If they were in the $170ish range, they'd be a decent HP but again, for the price I still think AKG skimped.

Ok, this one.  This is what I've been waiting for.  I'm a clumsy person and don't baby my stuff (I don't abuse them either but I couldn't be bothered treating them like raw eggs).  I was hoping this could be the answer to my search for a portable K550.  Meh.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #716 of 1,152
All the negative hype is about the build, which is a bit weak because of the pads.

I notice nobody giving useful evaluations about the sound. The sound is fantastic. It beats the Beyerdynamic DT770 AE in basically every single possible regard (except for ear pad comfort). That should tell you something.

The build, while it has a couple of shortcuts taken (and the M-100 had some flaws too; crappy wingplates, blatantly obvious molding artifacts on the cable inputs, and horrible cables themselves), is still pretty solid. I'm not scared of them breaking if I toss them in my bag.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #717 of 1,152
Well, I was mostly responding to the feeling that is being generated that these headphones aren't worth getting. I've noticed that there's a major tendency around here to hype up headphones before release(like the M-100), and than people are disappointed when they aren't perfect.
Personally, I'm interested in these and the M-100, as well as a couple other ~300 new headphones. All of these have been getting both good and bad reviews, on everything from sound quality to build, and separating the reviews from the disappointment and figuring how much of it is placebo or absurd comparisons to .0001% better cans is a challenge.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #718 of 1,152
Someone send their K267's to Craigster for M100 comparison. It's for the good of the forums!

It is disappointing about the build quality. I'll probably wait for a sale or price reduction on these before I try them. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #720 of 1,152
I received the K267's today.  They've been burned for 5 hours so take this with a grain of salt.

First off, the build isn't so bad.  It sort of looks clunky and not very streamlined.  For me, the headphones actually look smaller in real life than in pictures.  Headband is too big.  Besides that, I trust these as much as I trust the wingplates the M100's have, which isn't much.  But, the M100's have held up just fine so far.  The K267's feel much better than the plasticky K167's without a doubt.  This headphone clamps harder than the 167's did and is about par with the M100's.  The pads are squishy and with the clamping force, it might get uncomfortable.  Seems a very minute part of my ears are touching the pads so not completely circumaural.  The M100's are the same way but sit on your ears more.  The M100's can get uncomfortable for me after an hour or so of use because of this.  

As for the sound, these are sounding better than the 167's already.  I felt the 167's highs sounded artificial after my initial love for them.  Ultimately, the 167's lacked something in the upper midrange and I sent them back.  The K267's fill that void so far.  The vocals are thicker by a small margin and the treble isn't so artificial.  The treble seems to be toned down a notch from the 167's tuning in return sounds better to my ears.  The bass hits those lovely low notes as the 167's did and sounds clean and tight.  The two Tiesto's I've heard now seems to get the bass right.  As for the bass tuning, the sliders are very easy to turn.  The amount of bass, at the highest setting, I wouldn't call these basshead cans.  At the lowest setting, there really isn't a whole lot of bass but still present.  In the middle setting, you can hear a little bump and at the highest setting, it adds another little bump.  The bass sliders are nothing like the Beyer. COP's which add loads of bass at the highest setting and is unlistenable.  With the K267's, I prefer it on the highest setting because it still gives me good clean bass and good quantity.  I think the bass at the highest setting is very similar to how the 167's sounded.  This is a very good sounding headphone and rivals the M100's for me.  I am going to burn them in over the weekend and compare it with the M100's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back