AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Jan 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #723 of 1,152
Quote:
I believe Oblique63 is going to do a comparison.

Yeah, I'm basically gonna order some m100's over the weekend it seems... Though, given the small return window for the vendor I bought the K267's from, I'm not sure if Imma have a chance to A/B them directly. (yes, I did finally decide to return them. Not because they're bad, but they just don't stand out a whole lot compared to the ton of other phones I already own).

Quote:
I notice nobody giving useful evaluations about the sound. The sound is fantastic. It beats the Beyerdynamic DT770 AE in basically every single possible regard (except for ear pad comfort). That should tell you something.

Hey now, I tried to give a useful sound comparison with some of the better phones in the price range that I've tried 
triportsad.gif
. And I have tried the DT770 (though not the newest one), and in my opinion, it just doesn't measure up compared to the denons I compared the K267 with (which is perfectly fine, since there is a generous price difference there between the DT770 and the rest).  I do think the K267 would be able to hold it's own if it was still going for the original $265 price some people got them for, but for the $350 I payed for them? no thanks.

Anyways, my pair has seen close to ~60hrs of burn-in with pink noise now, and there are some subtle changes. For starters, the 'studio'/bass-light setting doesn't seem as bass-anemic anymore, though still quite light. The thing I noticed the most though, is that they seem a bit smoother in the mids, and more balanced now that the bass is slightly more controlled and the treble is tamer. So yeah, the sound signature isn't bad. I have 2 major gripes with it though (and these are just due to my own preferences of course, it may not bother others as much):
1)  The imaging is really poor. Even tracks that I know to have some really hard-panned instruments in them sound like everything is laid out in a misty haze in front of me. This is a bit of an exaggeration of course, but it's enough that it bothers me.
2) Bass and Treble extension. Though the overall quality of both improved with burn-in, their extension is still lacking; the bass doesn't go down low enough, and the highs don't seem to reach high enough. Again, just showing my own preferences here...

So yeah, the treble isn't too hot/harsh, the bass isn't too muddy/bloated, and the mids are warm (though I think there's a peak in the mid-bass and a bigger one in the upper mids giving the mids as a whole a tad bit of a recessed feel), but nothing really stands out to me about the sound. Both Denons do bass better, and I like the mids of the UE's a bit more than the K267's as well, so these are kinda giving the 'jack-of-all-trades' 'master-of-none' impression... Not bad, but who knows, the m100 might come out to be a better 'jack-of-all-trades' or something. Just gonna have to wait and see/listen... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #724 of 1,152
Quote:
I received the K267's today.  They've been burned for 5 hours so take this with a grain of salt.

First off, the build isn't so bad.  It sort of looks clunky and not very streamlined.  For me, the headphones actually look smaller in real life than in pictures.  Headband is too big.  Besides that, I trust these as much as I trust the wingplates the M100's have, which isn't much.  But, the M100's have held up just fine so far.  The K267's feel much better than the plasticky K167's without a doubt.  This headphone clamps harder than the 167's did and is about par with the M100's.  The pads are squishy and with the clamping force, it might get uncomfortable.  Seems a very minute part of my ears are touching the pads so not completely circumaural.  The M100's are the same way but sit on your ears more.  The M100's can get uncomfortable for me after an hour or so of use because of this.  

As for the sound, these are sounding better than the 167's already.  I felt the 167's highs sounded artificial after my initial love for them.  Ultimately, the 167's lacked something in the upper midrange and I sent them back.  The K267's fill that void so far.  The vocals are thicker by a small margin and the treble isn't so artificial.  The treble seems to be toned down a notch from the 167's tuning in return sounds better to my ears.  The bass hits those lovely low notes as the 167's did and sounds clean and tight.  The two Tiesto's I've heard now seems to get the bass right.  As for the bass tuning, the sliders are very easy to turn.  The amount of bass, at the highest setting, I wouldn't call these basshead cans.  At the lowest setting, there really isn't a whole lot of bass but still present.  In the middle setting, you can hear a little bump and at the highest setting, it adds another little bump.  The bass sliders are nothing like the Beyer. COP's which add loads of bass at the highest setting and is unlistenable.  With the K267's, I prefer it on the highest setting because it still gives me good clean bass and good quantity.  I think the bass at the highest setting is very similar to how the 167's sounded.  This is a very good sounding headphone and rivals the M100's for me.  I am going to burn them in over the weekend and compare it with the M100's.  

Sounds like great news. Thanks for the impressions. I am regaining some hope.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #725 of 1,152
Yes, finally reviews!
Now that I have sold my Sony's, need to figure out if its the K267 or M100's for me. I'm leaning m100 since I still have my K167, which I like very much.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #726 of 1,152
Quote:
I received the K267's today.  They've been burned for 5 hours so take this with a grain of salt.

First off, the build isn't so bad.  It sort of looks clunky and not very streamlined.  For me, the headphones actually look smaller in real life than in pictures.  Headband is too big.  Besides that, I trust these as much as I trust the wingplates the M100's have, which isn't much.  But, the M100's have held up just fine so far.  The K267's feel much better than the plasticky K167's without a doubt.  This headphone clamps harder than the 167's did and is about par with the M100's.  The pads are squishy and with the clamping force, it might get uncomfortable.  Seems a very minute part of my ears are touching the pads so not completely circumaural.  The M100's are the same way but sit on your ears more.  The M100's can get uncomfortable for me after an hour or so of use because of this.  

As for the sound, these are sounding better than the 167's already.  I felt the 167's highs sounded artificial after my initial love for them.  Ultimately, the 167's lacked something in the upper midrange and I sent them back.  The K267's fill that void so far.  The vocals are thicker by a small margin and the treble isn't so artificial.  The treble seems to be toned down a notch from the 167's tuning in return sounds better to my ears.  The bass hits those lovely low notes as the 167's did and sounds clean and tight.  The two Tiesto's I've heard now seems to get the bass right.  As for the bass tuning, the sliders are very easy to turn.  The amount of bass, at the highest setting, I wouldn't call these basshead cans.  At the lowest setting, there really isn't a whole lot of bass but still present.  In the middle setting, you can hear a little bump and at the highest setting, it adds another little bump.  The bass sliders are nothing like the Beyer. COP's which add loads of bass at the highest setting and is unlistenable.  With the K267's, I prefer it on the highest setting because it still gives me good clean bass and good quantity.  I think the bass at the highest setting is very similar to how the 167's sounded.  This is a very good sounding headphone and rivals the M100's for me.  I am going to burn them in over the weekend and compare it with the M100's.  

Great first impression. I passed on the M100 and bought the UE6000 because of the comfort issue and it look like I might pass on the k267 as well if the comfort is similar to the M100. The bass is a concern too if it's not basshead level.
I look forward to your review after some more burn in. Don't be surprised to see me knocking at your door for a test drive 
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #727 of 1,152
Quote:
Someone send their K267's to Craigster for M100 comparison. It's for the good of the forums!

It is disappointing about the build quality. I'll probably wait for a sale or price reduction on these before I try them. 

Quote:

I've eaten so many restocking fees and return postage fees for headphones over the past year that it will take a very compelling review to justify satisfying my curiosity to purchase the K267.
popcorn.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #728 of 1,152
Quote:
All the negative hype is about the build, which is a bit weak because of the pads.

I notice nobody giving useful evaluations about the sound. The sound is fantastic. It beats the Beyerdynamic DT770 AE in basically every single possible regard (except for ear pad comfort). That should tell you something.

I've tried to A/B a bit vs. the 550 for those who have heard them but no M100s in possession no compare with as that seems to be the hot topic as of late. Apologies for not being able to better communicate the pros/cons. Against the ATH-m50s though, these have less bass impact and quantity but better detail across the board. I found the m50s to be EXTREMELY uncomfortable with too much clamping force.... the SQ was not bad but I could not listen for more than 30 minutes without pain and ears overheating. These have just enough force to keep them on but not cause a headache/earache.

I think most have not commented on the SQ because they are still too "new" and not burned in yet. From past experience with K702s and K550s, AKGs need some time to settle in ~100 hours or more so without most of those having the phones being able to put that much time in, the build/fit/aesthetics is the easiest thing to comment on as it won't be changing as time passes.

Maybe I'm spoiled with the HD800s but the soundstage on the 267s did not impress either. Separation is OK - I mean its better than beats but that is not tough to do AT THE LEAST but imaging and spacial queues are nearly absent, at least to my ears.

Guess I just expected more from a MSRP $350 HP from the folks at AKG. I don't hate them and have entertained keeping for office listening but just can't justify the price tag for what you get considering the 550s fit better, have an increased soundstage and separation (so far) and can be had for the same price.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #729 of 1,152
Quote:
Sounds like great news. Thanks for the impressions. I am regaining some hope.

These are not hopeless at all.  They really do sound pretty good.  
Quote:
Yes, finally reviews!
Now that I have sold my Sony's, need to figure out if its the K267 or M100's for me. I'm leaning m100 since I still have my K167, which I like very much.

I thought the 167's were good too but knowing that I had the 267's coming and the minor gripes I had with the 167's, it was an easy decision to return the 167's.  I think you'd like the 267's but not sure if it's worth it since the differences aren't that drastic.  
Quote:
Great first impression. I passed on the M100 and bought the UE6000 because of the comfort issue and it look like I might pass on the k267 as well if the comfort is similar to the M100. The bass is a concern too if it's not basshead level.
I look forward to your review after some more burn in. Don't be surprised to see me knocking at your door for a test drive 
smile.gif

You're welcome anytime bud.  
Quote:

I've eaten so many restocking fees and return postage fees for headphones over the past year that it will take a very compelling review to justify satisfying my curiosity to purchase the K267.
popcorn.gif

I know your preferences Craigster since my tastes are similar.  I find the M100's to be one of my favorite portables out there and I've tried and still have some of the other recent portable cans around to compare.  Saying that, so far, the K267's sound good and I'd rank them near the M100 but it does have a different flavor so I'll try my best to compare the two in the next week.  

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #733 of 1,152
I just can't find a great pair of over ear cans with combination of looks, semi portability, comfort, and decent SQ within the 300 dollar range. The AKG k267 looks really nice but it's not released in my area so I can't test it. I need a new pair (or desperate to search for a new pair) of headphones right now. :frowning2:

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #734 of 1,152
Quote:
I just can't find a great pair of over ear cans with combination of looks, semi portability, comfort, and decent SQ within the 300 dollar range. The AKG k267 looks really nice but it's not released in my area so I can't test it. I need a new pair (or desperate to search for a new pair) of headphones right now. :frowning2:

You ever thought about buying from Amazon Japan and using Tenso to ship to where you are?

It saves a good deal of money and works like a charm.  

The Sony MDR-1R sound completely different from K267 or M100 but it's the best looking and most comfortable portable can for around that price range.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back