AKG K1000 Prices
May 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 90
Yep. They have been discontinued and as a result of simple economics the prices have gone up rather dramatically.

May 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 90
Yeah! The fact is that their prices, and status, skyrocketed after they discontinued in 2005.
They still can be scored for $3-500 though, with quite some luck!

Edit:
Like this guy who scored a top notch pair for $330 shipped last year.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/i-g...killer-338531/

May 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah! The fact is that their prices, and status, skyrocketed after they discontinued in 2005.
They still can be scored for $3-500 though, with quite some luck!

sorry for the double post but krmathis posted this right after i posted mine. with some 'luck"? what kind of luck hitting the lottery kind of luck?

smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 90
I think it might have been the requirements to drive them that caused them to be a failure for AKG. I mean a success in design and sound, but a failure in sales.

What krMathis meant was that even in the last year I believe 2 people on Head-Fi have posted saying they bought K1000s for around $350

May 25, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for the double post but krmathis posted this right after i posted mine. with some 'luck"? what kind of luck hitting the lottery kind of luck?

smily_headphones1.gif

Knowing where to get it, just run into one, or being quick with BIN on eBay.
They still appear in stores from time to time, for prices about half of what they sell for around here..

May 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 90
No clues besides what's given above. I'm currently on the hunt myself...

May 25, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fitz just sold one of his for 1.1K.... Clearly it's still climbing (Price-wise). On a brighter note, AKG is rumored to be putting out a K1000 successor in 2010.

EDIT/PS: The price is supposed to be around $700 Retail... Maybe 400 street?

W00T

May 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it might have been the requirements to drive them that caused them to be a failure for AKG. I mean a success in design and sound, but a failure in sales.

Believe it or not, but the K-1000 is probably the easiest headphone drive.

It was designed to run from a speaker amp, not a headphone amp. Though it might not seem like it here, speaker amps are cheaper and way more common than dedicated headphone amps. You can even find an old receiver at the Salvation Army for $20 that will drive the K-1000. Not so with other headphones.

The K-1000 wasn't that popular until it was discontinued. Then it became unobtanium and prices took off. Before that, you could find them new around $600-$700 and used for less.

My understanding is that the tooling required to produce the K-1000 was work out and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, K-1000 sales were not strong enough to turn a profit after retooling. So they discontinued it. Too bad. They should have put whatever they spent on the K-701 towards the K-1000 to retool and lower prices.

May 25, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 90
Hm... I'm looking for one as well, but 1.1k is too much for me. Hopefully AKG will eventually re-release them or something similar.

May 25, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm... I'm looking for one as well, but 1.1k is too much for me. Hopefully AKG will eventually re-release them or something similar.

A reasonably priced something similar. I don't want the AKG version of the PS1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back