After listening to FLAC/ALAC I can't go back.
Jan 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #181 of 188
Since I discovered for myself that I was unable to tell the difference between a FLAC or 320kbps mp3 file of The Glenn Miller Orchestra's "In the Digital Mood" album, I have been thouroughly enjoying my subscription to MOG music service.  They offer 320 kbps mp3 streams with a collection of 10 million songs and growing.  If you primarily listen to music on your computer, the service is a steal at $5/month. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #182 of 188
I have been using PowerAMP music player, and I am listening to a FLAC file right now verifying that it indeed works.  The file I am listening to is only 44.1KHz, and I don't know if the player will do 48KHz or higher.

I'm using an HTC EVO with Android 2.2. 

http://powerampapp.com/

Quote:
i wish android had a great flac player, a few say they play flac but i havent found any that really do :[

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #187 of 188

Quote:
That's pretty interesting man, can you put the two files up on media share for me to try, and also let us know equipment used.

I will try and post the files somewhere but will be later in the week. With regards to the equipment you are going to be distinctly underwhelmed as it was just what I had in my office FiiO E7 as soundcard into Audiolab 8000A driving a Stax SRD-6SB & Stax Gamma earspeakers.

Quote:

I don't know why you'd consider it a mistake Egg, that's all I've been looking for this whole thread from people who say they can tell the difference, proof of such. Obviously you can tell a difference quite well on that sample. I too would be interested in exactly where it was sourced from, or if possible the actual files.

Also, if you could note what it was you found that made the difference so we could look in similar places.

Quote:
[size=x-small]Yes I'd be interested in what gave it away for you as well so I can look out for it. [/size]

[size=x-small]Was it a specific error in the mp3 or an actual quality of the sound and could you describe either and let us know where in the track you took your sample from? [/size]

[size=x-small]Also - did the MP3 come from the WAV or were they separately encoded? And what type of mp3 is it? LAME?[/size]

[size=x-small]Sorry to bombard you with questions but I do want to see if I can repeat it.[/size]

The wave file was ripped from cd using EAC sometime ago but the mp3 was encoded from the wave on the day of the test. The mp3 is a 320kbps CBR encoded using LAME 3.98

With regards to what the differences are........do you really want to know ? This was the second track I used the first being Miles Davis kind of blue, couldn't do any better than 50% with that though. Just goes to show depends on the track as kind of blue is really well mastered.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #188 of 188
That wouldn't be a huge difference from my current main rig - FiiO E7 line out through E9 into SRM-Xh to Stax SR 303, so would definitely like to have a try if you could manage to get the WAVEs online.

Well yeah I do want to know because I want to identify it myself then look for it in my own library.

Yeah 50% is not being able to tell - it's a 50-50 chance you'll get it right. I've known that compression errors, when compressed again by mp3, can be spotted. I don't know if I have any music which is particularly badly recorded, but if I could identify what your identifier was, it might help me look out for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back