After listening to FLAC/ALAC I can't go back.
Jan 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 188

e-bay

New Head-Fier
I got about 80 lossless tracks the past few days, in preparation for my new headphones to arrive. Even on my Sony XB300's it sounds amazing. I have about 2500 mp3 tracks, and I just don't know how I can go back to listening to my mp3's. Problem is, it's much harder to find lossless tracks than mp3 to download.
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 188
Buy cheap used CD's from ebay and Amazon, rip them and resell them.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 188
With the gear in my signature I can't discern between 320kpbs MP3 and FLAC,

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 188
Quote:
Did you ever try to do a blind A/B with FLAC vs. LAME V0 VBR? 
Nobody I've ever tested has passed that, including me. 
Who knows though, maybe you can?

I claimed at ABI that I could pass a blind test as I had had my friend play LAME VBR (or LAME 320 - no difference between those either) and FLAC versions and always guessed right.

They explained to me how to do the ABXY test on Foobar2k and I tried, absolutely confident I would pass and failed completely.

My friend must have been giving me some extremely subtle verbal cue that I only picked up on unconsciously.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 188
Double blind is always best, but I don't think it's necessary.
Because as you personally undergo the test, you realize how difficult it is to tell the difference
even if you guess right.

So it becomes a moot point. 

I can see someone objecting to mp3 if they could instantly tell like I could with BLADE encoders back in 1999.
But nobody can. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 188

Quote:
I got about 80 lossless tracks the past few days, in preparation for my new headphones to arrive. Even on my Sony XB300's it sounds amazing. I have about 2500 mp3 tracks, and I just don't know how I can go back to listening to my mp3's. Problem is, it's much harder to find lossless tracks than mp3 to download.
frown.gif

so dont download stuff then.  i only buy music on CD so if an artist wasnt money from me their music had better come on a shiny disk. plus what i want is regularly only available in the US so while a CD can be posted they are adamant in not letting me buy downloads anyway. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 188
same here. most of my music listening is with 320kbps mp3.

Quote:
With the gear in my signature I can't discern between 320kpbs MP3 and FLAC,

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 188

Quote:
If you can't hear the difference between mp3 of any bit rate and FLAC I would suggest that you are probably deaf and wasting your money on expensive headphones

That's pretty inflamatory. I assume you've done some double blind tests yourself?

It's possible to find some samples that mp3 at any bitrate can not make transparent. The codec has always had problems with certain things like transients and pre-echo.
It's also possible to jack down the bitrate far enough that nothing is transparent, and even simple music sounds wrong.

That said those are the extremes. Generally mp3 with a good encoder (read: LAME) around 192kbps or so sounds transparent to most people on most songs on most equipment most of the time. Double blind listening tests show this again and again. If you are specifically looking for it, you can sometimes pick out mp3 vs lossless/source, but it's very hard to do even on good equipment and you have to have a trained ear. That is, you have to have spent time learning exactly what it is that mp3 does wrong and look for it. Even then, if you don't have the source to compare to, it's usually very difficult to notice that anything is wrong.

I've found that auToV 5.7b ogg vorbis is transparent to me as low as q3 (about 118kbps) on the vast majority of my music. That's what I use for portable. I found this out by doing ABX testing and failing it.

If you can pass 10+ ABX tests of Q6 or higher vorbis or -v0 Lame, then more power to you. Congratulations, you've got better hearing than 99.9% of the population, and your prize is having to spend 10x as much on gear as the rest of us to achieve the same aural quality. Ignorance is bliss, no?

*Disclaimer: I do use LAME lossless on my home system simply because I have the storage space to do so and I can transcode it without worrying about artifacting.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 188
It really comes down to the quality of you gear. I can't hear a difference between quality mp3s and lossless files on my, iphone, or my bedroom rig. In my office and my main rig, I can easily hear the difference. I used foobar to do blind test and passed them 100% of the time. Your source plays a major roll in this, and your amps has to be just as resolving as your source(considering you have a high end source). So don't make the statement no one can hear the difference. Just because you can't doesn't mean no one else can't either. A lot, and I mean a lot of people can hear the difference between the highest quality mp3 and lossless. Also there are many who can't. But that doesn't mean the difference isn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back