African & Afro-Caribbean / Jamaican vibes
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #114 of 126
Friends, this may be a little off-topic, but I have looked through many posts on this resource and have not found one about Omar Sosa, I think he deserves your attention. In my opinion he is a great Cuban musician.

Often in review articles of various publications devoted to this or that country, you can find a list of the five (ten, fifteen) most famous people of that country, compiled according to the results of some unknown poll. In Cuba, such an imaginary list is one hundred percent likely to be headed by Fidel Castro (I am not talking here about positive or negative evaluations of this figure). Intellectuals will probably recall the remarkable writer Alejo Carpentier and the brilliant ballerina Alicia Alonso, sports fans will recall the unrivaled chess genius José-Raúl Capablanca and the formidable boxer Teofilo Stevenson. And musicians are sure to be on that list. After all, Cuban, or more precisely Afro-Cuban music is one of the most significant and impressive contributions of the Caribbean island to the world musical culture, which gave a new impetus to the development of jazz and several other areas of music.

Many names of outstanding Cuban musicians are known - Tito Puente, Mongo Santamaria, Cachao, Gonzalo Rubalcaba. But since the late 1990s, perhaps the brightest and most popular representative of Cuban music has been another master - composer and pianist Omar Sosa. For very, very many people in America, Japan, and Europe, Sosa today is one of the most popular Cubans, perhaps he can even be called the founder of a special style of Afro-Cuban jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back