African & Afro-Caribbean / Jamaican vibes
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #91 of 126
I literally cannot sit still when I listen to this song, but [expletive omitted] I wish I could move like the people in this video. They don't even look like they're trying.

From the same compilation as the above song.
Kaba Blon — "Furu Djougou"

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #92 of 126
I have an album similar to this, but I've not actually heard this one before. I love the video, too.

Johanias Kiunya — "Mungu Nisaidei (God Help Me)"

Click through to YouTube and they've got a translation of the lyrics.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #94 of 126
Welcome aboard megabigeye and Playstation. And thank you for your excellent contributions! :) I'm afraid I've been a little neglectful of this topic of late. I need some new HPs to listen to all this beautiful African music though, since my last pair broke!

Fwiw, I love all the things yer postin.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #95 of 126
Thanks! I'm always excited to share the music that I love with people that I think (or hope) will enjoy it. And of course I'm super excited to find new music that I love.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #96 of 126
I'll run the risk of burning though my collection (which isn't huge) if I don't slow down... But I can't help it right now.

Every now and then I start to think that all jazz sounds kinda the same, but then...

Art Blakey and the Afro-Drum Ensemble — "Love, The Mystery Of"

I was wanting to post the "best" track from this album, but the whole thing is just so [expletive omitted] dope that it doesn't matter which I post.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #97 of 126
Music from Cabo Verdo has a slightly Caribbean sound to it. At least it does to me. Maybe it just sounds like island life.

Luis Rendall — "Carlina"

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #98 of 126
I just stumbled upon this via Luis Rendall. I could definitely use more of this in my life.

Nacia Gomi & Ferro Gaita

I've definitely entered YouTube's rabbit hole.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #99 of 126
More Cabo Verdean music. Holy cow, this is right in Boston. :astonished: I wonder if these people ever perform. I need this in my living room, even and especially the old guy bopping along.

Bau e Voginha — Solo De Luis Rendall

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #103 of 126
More of a pop sound than the above, but still fun.

Lou Bega's background is interesting. He is half Italian and half Ugandan, born and raised in Germany & Italy. And spent time as a teen in Miama. So an interesting blend of different musical and cultural influences to draw on.

This is a cover of Manu Chao's song of the same name btw. Which was inspired by an older jazz/swing/big band song by Roy Eldridge.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #105 of 126
Not really that similar, but Damian Marley's vocals kinda remind me of one of my childhood favorites: Eek-a-Mouse.

I used to sing "Wa Do Dem" ad nauseam when I was 12 or 13. I don't think I understood a single word, but I memorized the entire song.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back