AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 7, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #331 of 5,483
Can you make an open version and sell it for 100 dollar less.

No. Next question?

But seriously, Dan just released this a week ago and now to ask him to change the design and charge less for something that's essentially his gift back to the headfi community? Really?

Cheers

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #333 of 5,483
  If they can include a case, great.

Just hope no one complains about the case this time like with the Ether's (which many reviewers called ugly).

Actually, I think only Tyll called it ugly, twice in fact.  

wink_face.gif

I don't care if people complain, someone always complains about something.  If that's the biggest complaint, I can sleep at night.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 7, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #334 of 5,483

wink_face.gif

I don't care if people complain, someone always complains about something.  If that's the biggest complaint, I can sleep at night.

Ha! Great point Dan. If the "your case is ugly" is the worst they can throw at you, then smile away my friend. Cheers and great work as always

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #335 of 5,483
I don't think the case was ugly (from pics anyway) but at least the headphones came with one. And a leather, hard-case at that. How many 'flagship' headphones cost as much or more than the Ether yet have NO case included?

The Ether was out of my price range but if the Aeon (even at regular price) includes a case it may become one of the best deals in high-end audio.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #336 of 5,483
  I don't think the case was ugly (from pics anyway) but at least the headphones came with one. And a leather, hard-case at that. How many 'flagship' headphones cost as much or more than the Ether yet have NO case included?

The Ether was out of my price range but if the Aeon (even at regular price) includes a case it may become one of the best deals in high-end audio.

AND the case can be used as a stand in a pinch!

although I don't recommend it as it compresses the pads.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #338 of 5,483

wink_face.gif

Ugly is in the eyes of the beholder!!!   
wink_face.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #339 of 5,483

:wink_face:

That's a compliment. I always take all the hate as love. You know it brought attention.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #340 of 5,483
I think the current mrspeakers case would be great with the Aeon, and who cares if its ugly..its a case. I would only worry about the Aeon being too small for it and bouncing around the inside of it during transport.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #342 of 5,483
  I think the current mrspeakers case would be great with the Aeon, and who cares if its ugly..its a case. I would only worry about the Aeon being too small for it and bouncing around the inside of it during transport.

I used the standard Mr. Speakers case with the Aeon and found the fit pretty good. No concerns about it bouncing around on my end. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #343 of 5,483

I used the standard Mr. Speakers case with the Aeon and found the fit pretty good. No concerns about it bouncing around on my end. 

Bouncing around on your what?

:wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #344 of 5,483

AND the case can be used as a stand in a pinch!

although I don't recommend it as it compresses the pads.

Pro-tip: the case-as-a-stand will not compress the pads much if you turn it sideways!

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #345 of 5,483
Aeon impressions from CanJam NYC:
I was fortunate enough to hear the Aeon at Dan's booth as well as at a few other vendors.  Bear in mind that a noisy show floor is not the ideal listening environment, but as a MrSpeakers dealer, I think I am familiar enough with their products to make informed comparisons.

Nutshell:
Amazing job crafting the Aeon to this price point with the sound and build quality that it has.

Listening:
Like all the Ethers, the Aeon reflects the file, DAC and amp being used to a remarkable degree. It sounded slightly different on every setup I tried. And that is not a criticism, it is praise.  (Dan also told me that the 14 Aeons spread around the show were all broken-in to different degrees - some fully, others not quite.) As an example, the Aeon sounded great playing Tidal HiFi tracks from a laptop into an Aurilic dac and the Cavalli Liquid Carbon...but it sounded absolutely spectacular playing high-res files from a dap into the Cavalli Liquid Spark (prototype). Since I doubt the Spark will sound that much better than the Carbon, it must have been the difference in resolution of the flac file vs the Tidal HiFi streamed file...and the Aeon captured it beautifully.

Lots of talk here about the Aeon's bass output.  Having been a critic of the original Ether C in that regard (primarily because I have a personal preference for slightly elevated mid-bass vs sub-bass as a listener of lots of acoustic jazz and all sorts of rock) I can say that the Aeon's bass had me smiling immediately. I thought it struck the right balance of being fully present but not over-emphasized or under-emphasized. It is much more similar in this regard to the C-Flows than the original Ether-C.

Treble on the Aeon was smooth...detailed but not al all harsh. It was in keeping with the overall balanced sound signature that I think Dan is going for.  People have asked about a "house sound" and it seems to me that they are going for top-to-bottom balance and neutrality and the Aeon is in keeping with that.

Overall resolution, detail and air struck me as slightly less than the Ethers and Flows, but I would really need to do more listening and comparing before I can say that with assurance. At its price point, I would not expect the Aeon to be as resolving as its big brothers, but we'll see...

Comfort and Ergonomics:
Wow. Lighter than the Ethers and Flows with more ear-room inside the pads.  Did not have them on my head for a long enough stretch of time to assess any trouble with clamping force or pad pressure, but initial impression is that the Aeon is very comfortable indeed. Personally, I love the looks. And that single aluminum swing-arm mount on each housing is very cool.

Conclusion:
The Aeon is a real winner and a must-audition in the under-$1000 closed-back category. Hell, it's a must-audition in the cost-no-object closed-back category as well. Can't wait for Dan to give us dealers the green light to begin ordering!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back