AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 6, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #301 of 5,483

@Stillhart  - thanks for taking the time to provide such great information!!
I have never listened to the Meze 99 or (obviously) Aeon, but will definitely be the top of my list for CanJam SoCal in 2 months (cannot wait!!!!!)
I own (and love) the NH.  I had a VERY short listen to the NightOwl at RMAF 2016 (4 months ago) and was not impressed.  Do not remember why... Not even sure it they were a production or pre-production version.
I think I tried the E-MU and Fostex at RMAF, but not sure (too many headphones, and back then I was looking mostly for open backs - ended up buying the Ether Flow which I LOVE).  Will definitely spend some time with them in 2 months.
Never heard of the ZMF Blackwood (thought ZMF only had open or semi-open headphones).  1 more headphones to my must-listen list for CanJam SoCal  
biggrin.gif

BTW, can you briefly tell me which of those REQUIRE an amp?  Ideally, I want to be able to use them either connected directly to my DAP (FiiO X3-II), to my Mojo, and to my Joty.  Obviously, not at the same time...  
wink.gif

Thanks again for the very useful info, and great recommendations!

We're getting more than a bit off topic here so shoot me a PM and we can discuss it further.  I'm glad you're going to SoCal, it's definitely better to hear these things for yourself.  You'll get to hear the AEON for yourself and I'm curious what you'll think of the bass.  Perhaps I'll see you there.  

beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #302 of 5,483
Dunno about that............bass was the main thing I focused on when I listened and I was 99% sure the Aeon had more bass than Ether C

The Ether-flow and the Aeons we're the first headphones i listened to at Canjam Nyc. And to me the Aeon sounded more pleasant then the Ether-flow to me. More bass, yes it's closed back and for some reason i enjoyed the Aeons a lot more. And they we're more comfortable to me. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #304 of 5,483
  155 still left for preorder. I guess my concerns regarding a mad rush after CanJam NY was overblown. Oh well. 

Yep, they are moving a bit slow.  i think there may be a concern that there are not many reviews yet and the one holdback that there are no returns or refunds on the preorders.  I'm a mrspeakers fanboy, so not too concerned. But I can understand that laying out that kind of cash with no recourse can tighten the wallet pocket a bit. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #305 of 5,483
Not sure why but not too many people have posted detailed impressions regarding us or other vendors on the CanJam thread.  Hopefully more detailed impressions will follow soon.  

P.S. For those who went to CanJam, we vendors really appreciate it when you share your experiences, and I think so do the many people who don't live near retailers or in cities large enough to have meets or CanJams.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #306 of 5,483
  Not sure why but not too many people have posted detailed impressions, regarding us or other vendors on the impressions thread.  Hopefully more detailed impressions will follow soon.

P.S. For those who went to CanJam, we vendors really appreciate it when you share your experiences!  

This! I´m really interested into buying the Aeons. I have no doubt Dan has done a great work in order to deliver a great product with great value in the price range the Aeons are targeted, I just need some more impressions in order to see if it will suit my sound preferences.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #307 of 5,483
I took a leap of faith with buying ny first pair of MR Speaker headphones based all the people that have their products . I longed to hear their other planar headphones but $1400 to $1800 is lot bigger stretch on my budget than $699. I wanted a closed pair of planar headphone ssince I like my open HIFIMAN HE400I .

I think I was one of the first few orders since I was able to irder 10 minutes before the start time. I hope thgat it means that I will get my headphones the earliest. The quality of his products look great and it also great that it is made in states. 

I think that alot companys can great headphones for 2-4K  but due this level of design and manufacturing at this price point  is great for the consumer. 

I didn't get NYC for jam. I plan going to Denver in October and get my listening on. 

More feeback please to tide over to end of April.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #308 of 5,483
  Not sure why but not too many people have posted detailed impressions regarding us or other vendors on the CanJam thread.  Hopefully more detailed impressions will follow soon.  

P.S. For those who went to CanJam, we vendors really appreciate it when you share your experiences, and I think so do the many people who don't live near retailers or in cities large enough to have meets or CanJams.  

Hey Dan - it's a long shot, but anywhere in NorCal I can listen to the Aeon before CanJam in 2 months?  Do you happen to have a review unit sent to anyone in NorCal by any chance?

Also, did you make a decision yet whether or not case be included?

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #309 of 5,483
  Yep, they are moving a bit slow.  i think there may be a concern that there are not many reviews yet and the one holdback that there are no returns or refunds on the preorders.  I'm a mrspeakers fanboy, so not too concerned. But I can understand that laying out that kind of cash with no recourse can tighten the wallet pocket a bit. 

From my limited experience with Mr. Speakers so far - I am a fan.  I love Dan's work (and really like Dan, who is such a nice guy!).
Also, I am trying to support small businesses whenever I can, not just in audio stuff, but in general.

Personally for me, the main concern (which I mentioned before in this thread) is the bass.  I am 100% sure they would be super high quality and comfortable. The price is reasonable.  
BUT... several people reported the bass was a little lacking (as opposed to the sub-bass).  I listen mostly to rock music, and love bass, and hence my concern.  Otherwise - I would have definitely placed a pre-order by now!

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #310 of 5,483
Had a chance to listen to them in CanJam, paired with Liquid Carbon they sounded great. The comfort is great and is portable as well.
I dint get a chance to look into the spec so not sure how hard is it to drive but by the looks of it this looks to be in category of portable closed HP and is planner magnetic so definitely it will be compared with Oppo PM-3.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #312 of 5,483

AEON IMPRESSIONS!!!!!

Hi all and Hi Dan!

I generally hang around the DIY forums, but I needed to chime in here.

I was at your booth a few times on Saturday. I traveled from northern NH to CanJam NYC. I tried AEON through a variety of sources, from my iPhone SE, to iPhone+e12 amp, to both Cavelli amps you brought in a full blown desktop setup. These where the first, last, and day-long reference cans I listened to at canjam. These AEON cans took the show by a large margin I'd say- the attention to detail, from the moment I held them and put them on my head (way, way more comfortable than any other can at the show) to the depth and articulation I experienced while engaging in whatever music dan had going through his cavelli.

Sound:
The Aeon is far beyond the "EQ quibbles" I have with my hd600s or any other lower-end "hi-fi" can. Nope, the aeon, like the ether flows Dan makes, are about the depth, articulation, and in general the artistry of the music coming through those feathery pads. Put simply, the bottom, mid, and top end of these 'phones are all there and well represented. Forget what you think you know about good bass or easy treble; through a good source (i.e. Not my mobile setup) I forgot all about whether or not there was enough bass or mid articulation. Compared to Ether C Flow: same idea, same lineage. Ether is delicate and extremely detailed in a pleasant way. Aeon was a smidge less detailed, and maybe a hair more aggressive. But remember- those adjectives and comparisons are NOT obvious differences. Hard to pick out as "wild signature" differences, but yes, the difference is there.

Amping:
This in mind: IMO these are not to be driven lightly. Yes, the volume was there from my e12 and kind of from my phone, but just cause they are closed doesn't mean they don't deserve a proper rig. I felt the midrange was too aggressive from my mobile devices. Noticeably so. Plug back into the trusty desktop rig on dan's booth and my concerns where put to ease. This is a pretty obvious difference in signature- I also hung out at the chord booth and I'll bet the mojo (or ideally hugo2) would be the minimum rig anyone could get away with portably with the aeon. I just didn't hear them being worth messing with lower-end upstream components... these cans are the real deal.

Comfort:
Lightest. prettiest. HOLY smokes, this is the first time (besides the hifiman hex 2) I ever cared about the comfort!! I cared because it makes all of my cans, from hd-280 and hd-600 (and the whole lineup at the SENN booth) and Bose QC series seem amature and lazy. These don't WEIGH anything!! They are shaped like a backwards ear for crying out loud!!! and no, I am totally not bothered in the slightest by audeze's LCD-XC weight or ergonomics in general.

Conclusion:
Dan clearly is putting his entire mind and soul into creating these headphones. I value headphones at the aeon (and MrSpeakers general level) (an incredible value cost-wise too) to be "art made for art". I intend to buy my pair (along with a DUM balanced cable) as soon as I have straightened out some buisness expenses. I want to support dan, because he was a nice fellow, but also he is (at this time in headphone history) the bleeding edge of what can be done with headphone tech. Who doesn't want to be on the bleeding edge of headphone tech with Dan?

-CoffeeCutie

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #313 of 5,483
AEON IMPRESSIONS!!!!!

Hi all and Hi Dan!

I generally hang around the DIY forums, but I needed to chime in here.

I was at your booth a few times on Saturday. I traveled from northern NH to CanJam NYC. I tried AEON through a variety of sources, from my iPhone SE, to iPhone+e12 amp, to both Cavelli amps you brought in a full blown desktop setup. These where the first, last, and day-long reference cans I listened to at canjam. These AEON cans took the show by a large margin I'd say- the attention to detail, from the moment I held them and put them on my head (way, way more comfortable than any other can at the show) to the depth and articulation I experienced while engaging in whatever music dan had going through his cavelli.

Sound:
The Aeon is far beyond the "EQ quibbles" I have with my hd600s or any other lower-end "hi-fi" can. Nope, the aeon, like the ether flows Dan makes, are about the depth, articulation, and in general the artistry of the music coming through those feathery pads. Put simply, the bottom, mid, and top end of these 'phones are all there and well represented. Forget what you think you know about good bass or easy treble; through a good source (i.e. Not my mobile setup) I forgot all about whether or not there was enough bass or mid articulation. Compared to Ether C Flow: same idea, same lineage. Ether is delicate and extremely detailed in a pleasant way. Aeon was a smidge less detailed, and maybe a hair more aggressive. But remember- those adjectives and comparisons are NOT obvious differences. Hard to pick out as "wild signature" differences, but yes, the difference is there.

Amping:
This in mind: IMO these are not to be driven lightly. Yes, the volume was there from my e12 and kind of from my phone, but just cause they are closed doesn't mean they don't deserve a proper rig. I felt the midrange was too aggressive from my mobile devices. Noticeably so. Plug back into the trusty desktop rig on dan's booth and my concerns where put to ease. This is a pretty obvious difference in signature- I also hung out at the chord booth and I'll bet the mojo (or ideally hugo2) would be the minimum rig anyone could get away with portably with the aeon. I just didn't hear them being worth messing with lower-end upstream components... these cans are the real deal.

Comfort:
Lightest. prettiest. HOLY smokes, this is the first time (besides the hifiman hex 2) I ever cared about the comfort!! I cared because it makes all of my cans, from hd-280 and hd-600 (and the whole lineup at the SENN booth) and Bose QC series seem amature and lazy. These don't WEIGH anything!! They are shaped like a backwards ear for crying out loud!!! and no, I am totally not bothered in the slightest by audeze's LCD-XC weight or ergonomics in general.

Conclusion:
Dan clearly is putting his entire mind and soul into creating these headphones. I value headphones at the aeon (and MrSpeakers general level) (an incredible value cost-wise too) to be "art made for art". I intend to buy my pair (along with a DUM balanced cable) as soon as I have straightened out some buisness expenses. I want to support dan, because he was a nice fellow, but also he is (at this time in headphone history) the bleeding edge of what can be done with headphone tech. Who doesn't want to be on the bleeding edge of headphone tech with Dan?

-CoffeeCutie

Nicely done  impression post Coffee!! 

I'm waiting for mine just like Al Bundy did for his pizza. 
bigsmile_face.gif

There is no comparison as to what Dan and the Mrspeakers folks have done for the headphone business AND for his customers.  As an  Alpha dog owner I can also state without question that the product he produces and the personal interest he takes in customer service far outweighs the associated costs.  It is truly a refreshing  sight to see an owner take personal responsibility for his companies products. There are far too few companies who make such an effort and I for one thank Dan and MrSpeakers for his efforts. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #314 of 5,483
Had a chance to listen to them in CanJam, paired with Liquid Carbon they sounded great. The comfort is great and is portable as well.
I dint get a chance to look into the spec so not sure how hard is it to drive but by the looks of it this looks to be in category of portable closed HP and is planner magnetic so definitely it will be compared with Oppo PM-3.

For me you are spot on. I have placed an order for AEON to replace my PM-3 as my portable headphone. Obviously it's a leap of faith esp at twice the price but here's hoping :thumbsup:

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #315 of 5,483
Hey Dan - it's a long shot, but anywhere in NorCal I can listen to the Aeon before CanJam in 2 months?  Do you happen to have a review unit sent to anyone in NorCal by any chance?

Also, did you make a decision yet whether or not case be included?

Really looking forward to receiving my pair but i feel it's unlikely they will come with case which for me is disappointing so I can understand this being an issue for some people, even to the point of not ordering what otherwise is likely be a fantastic product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back