Acoustic Research Mysterious New Audiophile DAP
Mar 8, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #77 of 215
Quote:
Its an mp3 player

Should've known.  Walked right into that one. 
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #81 of 215
Thanks for an awesome review Mimouille!

That player does sound intriguing, but 32GB is simply not enough storage for me.

Plus, if the sound is as colored as you found it to be, the lack of an EQ might prove to be a big drawback for some...

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #82 of 215
Thanks for an awesome review Mimouille!

That player does sound intriguing, but 32GB is simply not enough storage for me.

Plus, if the sound is as colored as you found it to be, the lack of an EQ might prove to be a big drawback for some...

Thank you. Colored is very subjective, a matter of reference. I think it is thick.compared to the dx100, and jozifkwan thinks the dx100 is a bit thin....what is the reference sound. Hard to say. Would you like richer sound or more detailed. But you seem to.love the dx100 as I do, so stick with it :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #84 of 215
Okay, I've been trying to figure something out for like the last 5 pages or so.  I think I'm just going to give and ask.  Mimouille, what IS THAT THING in you avatar?  It's like a crazy space rabbit with light blue flames for ears!

Admit it,...you had a serious case of "avatar envy",....:rolleyes:

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #85 of 215
Quote:
Admit it,...you had a serious case of "avatar envy",....
rolleyes.gif

Nah, too "cute" for me.  But I'll admit I was as puzzled as all hell as to what the eff that was. 
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #87 of 215
Quote:
[size=12pt]Ok guys, just got back from the shop where I did side by side comparison with my Flac tracks for a couple of hours, using my Tralucent 1plus2. The owners were actually really nice and let me put my music on it without discussion, even if we had to use their computer to do it. Before I get into sound impressions, here a few other points:[/size]

1. [size=12pt]The player will be up on the site of AR within 15 days according to the store owner. There will be an official release in the US in April[/size]
  2. [size=12pt]I confirm that the player runs for approximately 6-7 hours at most. I have seen the battery drain during the 2 hours of listening to FLAC and they have confirmed it. [/size][size=12pt]It is the main drawback IMO[/size]
  3. [size=12pt]In terms of build quality, I confirm the player is top notch. Very nice solid and robust feel to it overall. It does get a bit warm but not as much as the DX100[/size]
  4. [size=12pt]The ergonomics of the player are pretty good. Only simple physical buttons and clear menus. However, it is simple because there are literally NO options. Just one menu for settings (language and time and other such things) and one menu for music, by folder, artist, genre, etc. There is NO EQ on the player, which some may find annoying, personally I do not care[/size]
  5. [size=12pt]There is indeed no possibility for extending the internal 32G memory[/size]
  6. [size=12pt]When you insert IEMs in the headphone jack while music in on pause, you have quite an annoying pop[/size]
  7. [size=12pt]The line is CRAZY POWERFUL / LOUD. I briefly tested the player with my Tralucent T1 and the amp was set for the iBasso at 180 volume, i.e. at 12 o'clock. The music almost pierced my eardrums. I had to put it at almost minimum volume on the T1, and the line out is not a variable volume line out, so changing volume on the player does not affect it. I haven't tried, but I think this could certainly driver full-size cans[/size]
  8. [size=12pt]There is a recessed know for volume on the player, which is quite convenient, but the know is VERY sensitive, you get to max volume in barely a full turn, so you have to be very cautious[/size]

[size=12pt]Now what you have been waiting for (or not), the SQ (please excuse me if what I say sometimes does not make sense, I am far from being an expert in sound description:[/size]

1. [size=12pt]Let's just start by saying that this player is indeed an audiophile player, above idevices and Cowons without a doubt. All of the defects I will mention are not overwhelming at all, but only in comparison with the DX100. And I really had to go back and forth 4 or 5 times on certain songs to spot differences (on other bass heavy songs it was more obvious)[/size]
  2. [size=12pt]I consider that is, in terms of performance, more or less in the range of the DX100, slightly not a technically proficient in my opinion[/size]
  3. [size=12pt]The player clearly has a coloration. It is meant to be a dynamic, bass heavy player for modern music. Therefore the overall sound is less transparent and neutral than that of the DX100. Those who do not like a slightly darker sound will not like it at all. On certain genre like electro and dubstep, the player might be more enjoyable that the DX100 to some, as the bass is powerful and organic, really engaging. However, this bass boost causes some of it to bleed on the other frequencies, so the sound is less transparent that that of the DX100, particularly in the mids[/size]
  4. [size=12pt]However, the sound remains very detailed, and the mids are quite warm and engaging, so overall the sound is very enjoyable and musical to my ears[/size]
  5. [size=12pt]On the con side, the soundstage is very nice, a lot of space, combined with the deep and powerful bass, it makes for a really dense atmosphere when listening to some songs, making the listening experience very entrancing. However, since the bass is a bit more overwhelming than on the DX100, sound positioning in space feels less precise[/size]

[size=12pt]These are the pros and cons for me:[/size]

[size=12pt]PROS:[/size]
  1. [size=12pt]Great build quality and a good looking, compact player (roughly the size of an ipod classic, though a bit taller)[/size]
  2. [size=12pt]Very enjoyable sound with powerful and visceral bass and nice sound stage[/size]
  3. [size=12pt]Very easy to use[/size]
  4. [size=12pt]Support apparently all formats and bitrates[/size]
  5. [size=12pt]Does not need an amp, except maybe for really hard to drive cans (I think so, but didn't test this)[/size]

[size=12pt]CONS:[/size]
  1. [size=12pt]Short battery life[/size]
  2. [size=12pt]Non-extendable memory[/size]
  3. [size=12pt]Colored sound not for everybody, and absence of EQ. The fact that you cannot have neutral sound is quite annoying on a player at that price[/size]
  4. [size=12pt]No options at all[/size]

[size=12pt]In conclusion, an interesting players, though not for everyone. The sound is great, but I will not buy as I already have a DX100. If it had longer battery and extendable memory, I might have sold the DX100 to buy, even if I find the DX100 to have the upper hand technically (though not by that much). But if you mostly listen to modern electronica and electro-rock and like fun sound, this might be the one for you.[/size]

The POP could be some DC at the output. Double edged sword. DC-bad. No coupling caps-good. I have an amp I did without output caps. It has about 1mv of offset but I don't turn ot on with IEMs connected. Hasn't hurt anything but it's a loud on pop. There is no noise on plug in after it's on with 1mv of DC and sensative IEMs. Makes me wonder how much there may be here if that's the cause.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #88 of 215
The POP could be some DC at the output. Double edged sword. DC-bad. No coupling caps-good. I have an amp I did without output caps. It has about 1mv of offset but I don't turn ot on with IEMs connected. Hasn't hurt anything but it's a loud on pop. There is no noise on plug in after it's on with 1mv of DC and sensative IEMs. Makes me wonder how much there may be here if that's the cause.

I honestly have no clue what the reason is :)

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #90 of 215
Too bad for them we heard all about it a month ago, and have already lost interest. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back