A new DA7.2x ?
Sep 11, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #106 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
So what actually has to be done to all of these caps and conectors?
Remove them?

Yes, according to the Eddie, the 3 "33" cap shown on the picture should be removed. The silver box (I don't know what that is) should be grounded as shown on the second post. I am planning to work on it next weekend.

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #107 of 412
I have noise at the highest output in the vairable pre-amp out.It is in the amplified circuit.But when I start to hear it is in the ear rupture area.
The fixed out is quiet.
I am using optical in-RCA out to a dead quiet tube amp.

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #108 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by echo1
I have noise at the highest output in the vairable pre-amp out.It is in the amplified circuit.But when I start to hear it is in the ear rupture area.
The fixed out is quiet.
I am using optical in-RCA out to a dead quiet tube amp.

echo1, can you share your impression with your darkvoice amp? I have a darkvoice and am considering the DA 7.2.

Sep 11, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #109 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by raylpc
echo1, can you share your impression with your darkvoice amp? I have a darkvoice and am considering the DA 7.2.

It sounds great to me. But I just completely rebuilt the darkvoice similiar to Fitz and fired it up along with the Citypulse. I have only a few hours on them both and I notice the sound is changing. I think I am going through Break-in at least with the darkvoice.But do they get along? Yes. If you use dac only it stays dead quiet.Headphone or vairable out has a little noise at full volume.
Another thing is I converted the Darkvoice heaters to DC voltage so there might be some diff. there also.
Please understand I dont go into details on sound stage etc. as I have only my headamp gear to compare it with. I live in a small town and getting to a Head-fi meet would be a days drive to San Francisco.
I rely on info in these threads mostly.

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #110 of 412
Can anyone elaborate of the high frequencies from the 7.2?

A couple of comments mentioned its a little soft in the treble. Does this change with burn in?

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #111 of 412
I received my STAX headphone today. Quick update:
  1. Fix out
    - fx2 on: dead quiet
    - fx2 off: dead quiet
  2. Variable out (before removing caps)
    - fx2 on: noise audiable at 5'
    - fx2 off: noise audiable at 7'

Result is consistent with previous test on speaker system. Since I will only using fix out on 7.2x, I propability won't want to mess up with these 3 "33" caps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Before purchasing 7.2x, I read a review where one has to turn the volumn on SRM313 to 7 to get desire listening volume, which makes me consider 006t for the extra 6db on balance out. It turns out I worried to much. (in fact with 7.2x, master volume on SRM313 is at level 1)

In addition, I have questions regarding other mention external should have perfect background. To check it out, I ordered Entech 203.2 (20bit NOS DAC from monster; eBay price from 30~50, retail at 299) The 203.2 does NOT have perfect background. (in fact it is much worse than variable out on 7.2x.) I don't understand how a pure DAC such as 203.2 can't compete with hybrid DAC. I suggest buyers should stay away from 203.2.
Note: the test is done on optical input only. I don't have machine with coxial out

System:
- STAX SRM313 headphone amp
- STAX SR404 headphone
- Bluejeans LC1 2foot interconnect
- PS Prelude .5m power cord x 2
- Airport Express
- 6 foot Pure Audio Airport Express -> Optic connector (I don't like it, but it is the only thing I found at local Apple store.)

I also try to use cheap optical cable to connect my computer to 7.2x. The result is I swear I won't try to do this again. The sound from computer is so thin that I can hardly call it music. (My iPod + SR60 can easily outperform the STAX system with cheap optical cable.) However, HD515+headphone out on 7.2x is not as bad. (thanks to good build-in headphone amp? I have some base with HD515.)

I must state that I will never reach the volume that cause 7.2x to generate noise with its headphone/variable out. For those who worry about background noise, Eddie has provided the solution. However, as state earlier, I won't bother with it. 7.2x does a beautiful job.

After my headphone fully burn in, I will compare performance on fix/variable out. (first impression is variable out generates softer sound, but it could change.)

I would like to thanks Eddie for not only providing support while making purchasing decision, but also helping resolving issues 7.2x owners encountered. I like to way Eddie do business, and would buy it again.

241983001_e0edbcc420.jpg

241976730_ac5f28a6fa.jpg

my system(still playing with different interconnect cable)

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #112 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by pojen_h@hotmail.
I received my STAX headphone today. Quick update:
  1. Fix out
    - fx2 on: dead quiet
    - fx2 off: dead quiet
  2. Variable out (before removing caps)
    - fx2 on: noise audiable at 5'
    - fx2 off: noise audiable at 7'

Result is consistent with previous test on speaker system. Since I will only using fix out on 7.2x, I propability won't want to mess up with these 3 "33" caps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Before purchasing 7.2x, I read a review where one has to turn the volumn on SRM313 to 7 to get desire listening volume, which makes me consider 006t for the extra 6db on balance out. It turns out I worried to much. (in fact with 7.2x, master volume on SRM313 is at level 1)

In addition, I have questions regarding other mention external should have perfect background. To check it out, I ordered Entech 203.2 (20bit NOS DAC from monster; eBay price from 30~50, retail at 299) The 203.2 does NOT have perfect background. (in fact it is much worse than variable out on 7.2x.) I don't understand how a pure DAC such as 203.2 can't compete with hybrid DAC. I suggest buyers should stay away from 203.2.
Note: the test is done on optical input only. I don't have machine with coxial out

System:
- STAX SRM313 headphone amp
- STAX SR404 headphone
- Bluejeans LC1 2foot interconnect
- PS Prelude .5m power cord x 2
- Airport Express
- 6 foot Pure Audio Airport Express -> Optic connector (I don't like it, but it is the only thing I found at local Apple store.)

I also try to use cheap optical cable to connect my computer to 7.2x. The result is I swear I won't try to do this again. The sound from computer is so thin that I can hardly call it music. (My iPod + SR60 can easily outperform the STAX system with cheap optical cable.) However, HD515+headphone out on 7.2x is not as bad. (thanks to good build-in headphone amp? I have some base with HD515.)

I must state that I will never reach the volume that cause 7.2x to generate noise with its headphone/variable out. For those who worry about background noise, Eddie has provided the solution. However, as state earlier, I won't bother with it. 7.2x does a beautiful job.

After my headphone fully burn in, I will compare performance on fix/variable out. (first impression is variable out generates softer sound, but it could change.)

I would like to thanks Eddie for not only providing support while making purchasing decision, but also helping resolving issues 7.2x owners encountered. I like to way Eddie do business, and would buy it again.

241983001_e0edbcc420.jpg

241976730_ac5f28a6fa.jpg

my system(still playing with different interconnect cable)

I agree. Now that I have a couple days on the dac and rebuilt darkvoice the sound is wonderfull. No complaints here.

Sep 13, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #113 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Can anyone elaborate of the high frequencies from the 7.2?

A couple of comments mentioned its a little soft in the treble. Does this change with burn in?

I haven't had a LOT of time to listen, but from what I've heard, the treble softness is more a function of the headphone amp.

I have added an external amp, and while treble smoothness is there, it is more extended and almost airy (no harshness) than through the headphone amp in the DAC.

Quote:

Hmmm, just saw this. If the variable out passes through the headphone amp circuitry, this may coincide with my finding.....

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #114 of 412
Quote:

Eddie post a solution to the noise problem:

Seems like this 22.5792 MHz oscillator circuit is being disabled.
Note that this frequency is a nice (x512) multiple of 44.1 kHz

I think Eddy should explain what's being done here, not just telling us which parts to unsolder.

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #115 of 412
Is anybody using this with computer ?
I have audigy 2 ZS with optical SPDIF, that should connect to the DAC directly with supplied cables, right ? (I know they are crapy does anybody know good german/european cable source?)

Eddie also offers USB->SPDIF converter on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TO-SPDIF-WIT...QQcmdZViewItem
It contains following
frown.gif
Eddies quote)
The chips inside as follow :
XITEL XA31 C1-1
CS 8405A-CS EP
UDA 1321 PSIN 101 --BY PHILIPS
AN 11.2896 MHZ OCCILATOR

but I don't think it will do I2S, so it wouldn't proly beat my Audigy2's optical out.

Please, comment, as I am about to order Citypulse from him

my current "rig" foobar->Audigy2 ZS notebok->HD650

--G

Sep 14, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #116 of 412
I'm so happy, that i made my dicision (by last second)
don't bought an DA7.2x.

If i read all this. (hum and noise problem, soft highs etc.)

I buy an Harman HD 970, buy an HEED Canamp, (both are pure Class-A, and sound both very 3-dimensional and detailed)
put this 2 babys together, put my HD600 into and go to heaven.
580smile.gif

Regards

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #118 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN
Hope this toy will make me happy guy. I am Head-Fi virgin.
Now I can onl pray this chinese boy won't screw me badly
eek.gif

--G

???

By the sounds of it, that's the least of your worries. I would strike that statement from the record for being absurd and politically incorrect.

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #120 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Seems like this 22.5792 MHz oscillator circuit is being disabled.
Note that this frequency is a nice (x512) multiple of 44.1 kHz
I think Eddy should explain what's being done here, not just telling us which parts to unsolder.

I agree with you. I will write to Eddie to see what he said.

Quote:

Is anybody using this with computer ?
I have audigy 2 ZS with optical SPDIF, that should connect to the DAC directly with supplied cables, right ? (I know they are crapy does anybody know good german/european cable source?)
Eddie also offers USB->SPDIF converter on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-TO-SPDIF-WIT...QQcmdZViewItem
It contains following
frown.gif
Eddies quote)
The chips inside as follow :
XITEL XA31 C1-1
CS 8405A-CS EP
UDA 1321 PSIN 101 --BY PHILIPS
AN 11.2896 MHZ OCCILATOR
but I don't think it will do I2S, so it wouldn't proly beat my Audigy2's optical out.
Please, comment, as I am about to order Citypulse from him
my current "rig" foobar->Audigy2 ZS notebok->HD650
--G

I am. (iTunes -(wireless)-> Airport Express -(Belkin pure AV optical kit-> 7.2x)

I read several postive reviews on Juli@ for desktop person. (assume the computer is close to DAC, and your computer has a spare PCI slot available.) My computer is 50ft away from my stereo system, which left me no choice except to go wireless. The least expensive and preserve good sound quality is Airport Express. Empirical Audio has advanced solution for hi-end audio, but it exceeds my budget.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/

Quote:

Hope this toy will make me happy guy. I am Head-Fi virgin.
Now I can onl pray this chinese boy won't screw me badly
eek.gif

--G

Me too. 203.2 will, but I am happy with my 7.2x. I am going to local audio shop this weekend to see if I can check out some DAC and test them at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back