A new DA7.2x ?
Sep 5, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #91 of 412
Supersonic try comparing the Harman Kardon with a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C. If you find the cambridge to be better, well then its a no contest. I have the same cdp here and well the 7.2x sounds much much better... the soundstage is much wider, the bass is way tighter, the midrange is butter smooth... I could go on and on
smily_headphones1.gif
. If you find the HK to sound significantly better than the 640C, well go for the HK.

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #92 of 412
Supersonic i happen to know what zhaolu thread you are talking about, and the kids in that german forum are absolutely clueless. Their "reviews" are worth next to nothing.

Sep 7, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #93 of 412
Mine arrived today, packaged nicely in a green wrapping that almost looked like giftwrap
tongue.gif

Plugged it in to my Toshiba via coax out, played a couple CD's not listening. Then listened (using a Beyer 250-80 for now). Even relatively cold, there is something very nice going on with vocals here. The Blue Nile's A Walk Across The Rooftops, a little laid back and spacious; Alison Kraus & Union Station Live, good sense of space, GREAT vocals, and very detailed guitar & banjo work; and Holly Cole's Shade, smooth & close up vocals, slightly fat bass (on the recording), also good sense of space.

A little soft overall on the top end, but it may be 1) the headphones, 2) the headphone amp portion, or 3) need for burn-in. Bass seems fast and tight, fairly deep (though it's tough to tell with these phones).

I'll listen for a few more days and then try some of the other phones I have: Senn 650, AKG 701, Grado GS-1000, Sony MDR-SA5000. Some blue moon, I'll also hook up to other headphone amps I have.

But initial listening is very promising.....

EDIT: no hum issues. Volume all the way up,a TINY bit of noise in one channel. Turn it evena quarter down - WELL north of max listening volume - and it's gone.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #94 of 412
First thanks to all owners for your descriptions.

@ all owners of the DA7.2x

Please more descriptions about the sound quality.

Please say more about the detail, soundstage, the seperation of the parts of music (voices, instruments) etc.

Is there a "razor sharpe" clarity in the music or is the presentation al little bit unsharp compared with great sounding units?

What do you think about sound quality and clarity(!) in comparision with other CD-Player or DAC you heard?

Thanks very much and regards
Michael

Sep 7, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #95 of 412
Got my unit today. Since zozo had post pics on the unit, I will post pic on its boxing.
wink.gif

237052532_c12623ae65.jpg

the "green" gift boxing skullguise refer to.
PJ: Ya, it indeed like a gift wrap.

237049971_f610d3f1aa.jpg

PJ: the box, it is haiver than I expected.

237049805_852d8fb60e.jpg

PJ: Note that Eddie had opened the box for initial testing.

237049672_cdd47d060e.jpg

237049211_d6052f5d4e.jpg

PJ: Accessories?

237049528_b9db9e902d.jpg

PJ: (from left to right) optic, coxial, power, remote. I doult any of us will be using those.

237051606_9b0c856f93.jpg

PJ: very nice packaging.

237052860_efb60b5e27.jpg

PJ: 7.2x

237048904_e8e62dcc07.jpg

PJ: Very nice builded. When you power it up, the volumn will automatically turn to min.
wink.gif

237049403_bbad434eb9.jpg

PJ: I e-mailed Eddie regarding the issue zozo is talking about. Instead of rewiring the output, Eddie put stickers to note that the analog out is reverse. (not the best, but I think most of us plug in the cable according to the color code, which makes litte effec)

======
Listening Comments: none.... (I mess up my cables. I use Airport express as source input, but didn't aware that AE doesn't have coxial out. I will have to buy the adapter cable, such as iCable from Monster Cable.)

Note: The noise/hissing issue remains. I connect 7.2x only to power source and headphone (HD515, SR60), when the volumn is all the way up, I can hear the hissing. fx2 doubles the loudness of the hissing. For strange reason, I didn't hear it when connect to external speaker system. (use fixed out) I agree with skullguise no one can hear the noise if the volumn isn't all the way up. Since I can't send music to this unit, I don't know how it performs. I hope local BestBuy or CompUSA has the cable I need. I will play with its output to see if the transformer is cauing the the problem.

My system:
237050193_236a5fe27f.jpg

The "external speaker system" refer to the tube amp on the left. (Cayin TA30)

Sep 7, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #96 of 412
Dump the stock power cable and get something better
smily_headphones1.gif
. It could potentially be the cause of hum since its really cheap and doesn't have grounding. All the cables bundled are totally horrid. I dumped all of them in the dustbin
frown.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #97 of 412
is there a straight dac-output circut analogue out that has a fixed output and (therefore) doesn't go through the amplification (i'm thinking the amplification might be responsible for the hum).

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #100 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cha0$
Dump the stock power cable and get something better
smily_headphones1.gif
. It could potentially be the cause of hum since its really cheap and doesn't have grounding. All the cables bundled are totally horrid. I dumped all of them in the dustbin
frown.gif

Could be..... I never even tried the stock cable, instead using a Eupen "filtered" power cord (has some filtering in it, as well as some ferrite in the cable housing itself). That may be why mine is quieter than another reported).

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #101 of 412
Let me get this straight, the hum/hiss only occurs through the headphones or variable out? Is that right?

Maybe its just a dirty/poor quality potentiometer in the Volume knob????

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #102 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
is there a straight dac-output circut analogue out that has a fixed output and (therefore) doesn't go through the amplification (i'm thinking the amplification might be responsible for the hum).

I will have to experiment with it a little bit. Under fx2, if I plug-in coxial cable then the hum becomes quiter than the optic. (analog in remain the quietest) There is little difference (if any) of the hum volume with fx2 off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic99
@ pojen
I looking on the box and see: www.citypulse.cn
Is that right?
www.citypulse.cn is not available.
blink.gif

Slowly but surely ... i'm in doubt about this DAC.

The url is as appear on the box. However, there is no such web-site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Could be..... I never even tried the stock cable, instead using a Eupen "filtered" power cord (has some filtering in it, as well as some ferrite in the cable housing itself). That may be why mine is quieter than another reported).

That is interesting. I will try to use the stock cable compaire to my power cord from PS audio, and try to connect directly to the wall outlet to see if it effect the hum volume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Let me get this straight, the hum/hiss only occurs through the headphones or variable out? Is that right?
Maybe its just a dirty/poor quality potentiometer in the Volume knob????

No idea. Since I don't have the appropriate cable, I don't know what could went wrong. (for example the hum volume is affect by the cable I plug into) I am still waiting for my STAX SRM313+SR404. Once I receive it, I think I can make comments on the hum issue. <- I am not going to use its preamp/headphone out feature anyway.
(music need to come later, since many Head-fi thread recommend to burn-in STAX headphone for at least 1.5week. (200hr) before listening)

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #103 of 412
Eddie post a solution to the noise problem:
Quote:

Hi!
Have you recevie my last email ?
Please cut down the 3 pieces 33p caps which indicate at the picture deem to the noise reduction.
A---unscrew all the screw at back plannel
B---unscrew the screw at bottom of the case ,except the large one.
C---Unscrew the top and bottom screw which attach to the front planel of right hand side only.
D--Push out half of the case which sit on your right hand side and follow the step as below :.
IMG_01561-7.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After that becomes as:
IMG_0160.jpg

That will reduce the noise 98% .
Please do a favour for me ,state this at head fi forum and let others buyer to follow !
I am worried about missing inform to some of the buyer !
Sorry about that of making you spend time on it !
Wu.

Note: I change the comment from to [img] to display the pictures.

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #104 of 412
one more step from Eddie
Quote:

Hi!
Please add this on forum to let opthers buyer follow !
IMG_0161.jpg

Thanks for everything !
I should get a high DB fully cup head phone that is sensitive to check up .
Wu.

Sep 10, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #105 of 412
So what actually has to be done to all of these caps and conectors?
Remove them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back