A little about the Shozy Alien
Jan 15, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #3,016 of 3,124

My phone is 150g, LG G3 with 5.5" screen. I am completely fine with Walnut's weight. Actually if it weighed less that would be a turn off... It already feels light to me, I don't want a cheap feeling device.

I'm kinda the opposite of you, when I'm looking at products I associate weight with quality, I hilariously have been known to buy the heavier product purposefully 
biggrin.gif

I do get that, I get how weight gives a way to something feeling 'premium'. It might also be true, I do adore the sound of the AP100 which is my fav DAP to date and it comes in at 150g, and despite your view on the Alien Shozy, at 85g and by far one of the simplest DAPs in my collection it is also second in weighing the most (and I quite like the sound it puts out).

I think is all down to the form factor more then the weight itself.For example the Tera Player is 80 gr but has a heft to it, because is so small.

I said something similar below.

Yeh weight can be deceptive when the size of the thing varies. For example, the colorfly C3 is 100g, but it's small therefore feels heavy, something like this I imagine should look like it feels more due to it's size but actually weighs less than your mind thinks it might, therefore seems light.

If you look at my DAP drawer you will see tho I have quite a few various DAPs, weighing as little as 16g (Cowon E3), and then the Sansa Clips at 26g, and a few at 40g (i9 and Sony).
For me it's not about form factor, when you go above 40g yer starting to get to a 'hassle' perspective of using the thing when exercising.
Perhaps tho, just as important as weight and size is whether the player is supplied with or can buy separately a case, and how good that case is for attaching to the person. Cases shouldn't just be about providing protection, if it has the ability to clip or go onto a belt (or arm) or something it adds to the attraction of use and scenarios you could use with.
That was one of my issues with the Shozy, it's perculiar design made it a no 'nice case' design, it just had to go in a Velcro pouch or something.
I've been known to use my 'magnetic fastener' technique with DAPs (use magnetic badge parts to affix to a person), and it really works very well, if the DAP is around 50g and under, with the Shozy at 85g it was too heavy really, I needed to affix two to the device.
So yeh lol, weight is important to me.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #3,018 of 3,124
Had anyone compared the original with the gold Alien? Just curious if the SQ or sound signatures are different. Thanks!

Hi !

From what I read (I have only the Gold), people say that the Gold, compared to the original :
- has less noise (but it should not be a problem if you do not have sensitive headphones with the original one ; with the Gold, I have a little bit constant noise with my very sensitive CIEMs).
- is "softer", the original one seems to be more dynamic while the Gold is still dynamic but should draw less attention from the listener.

Globally, it is the same sound signature but the Gold has more refinement while the original one is the way to go if you want something that strikes (even though I am already quite impressed with the Gold).

I hope this helps :)

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,022 of 3,124

You should not.
Its measurements are downright awful : http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107087
I got two and each one sucks BIG time, even with my best op amps (MUSES, Burson, etc). IMHO everyone should forget this piece of crap, sincerely.

Zishan DSD seems far better : http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107744
Too bad this DAP is so ugly, though...

The design of the Alien + is just... meh.

Why would you have two lol? I mean if it sucked first time, did you order another?

Anyway, I have one now, and disagree, it sounds pretty ok through my PFE 232's, some tracks sounding better than the Alien Shozy. Price and value wise it's been a pretty good purchase.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,023 of 3,124

Why would you have two lol? I mean if it sucked first time, did you order another?

Anyway, I have one now, and disagree, it sounds pretty ok through my PFE 232's, some tracks sounding better than the Alien Shozy. Price and value wise it's been a pretty good purchase.

I bought another one because the first one was faulty (something wrong with the volume pot or with one of the capacitors).
And if you like your Walnut, well, it's fine and I'm glad for you.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #3,025 of 3,124

I bought another one because the first one was faulty (something wrong with the volume pot or with one of the capacitors).
And if you like your Walnut, well, it's fine and I'm glad for you.

Not saying it's amazing or anything, but I've paid way more for similar sounds before lol, at $40AUD it wasn't exactly a big risk. You just scared me!
eek.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #3,026 of 3,124

Not saying it's amazing or anything, but I've paid way more for similar sounds before lol, at $40AUD it wasn't exactly a big risk. You just scared me!
eek.gif

Sorry, it wasn't my intention. I truly believe this player is a disaster. A cheap one but a disaster nevertheless. I wanted to warn you about it. Maybe I was wrong... but I know DAPs that truly satisfy me at the same price, like Benjies or Ruizus. And I cannot unsee the measuments of the Walnut, which are terrible and reflect what I hear... That's it.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #3,027 of 3,124

I just hope people put things in the same tier because ''they both don't have a screen'' lol

in the end the design initiative is different and to me changing opamps as an appeal when the other parts measured not too good is kind of sketchy ( no offence but if it is a selling point and to be advocated, it simply suggest that the design is not seriously conducted towards any sets of opamps and there is no standard) An ''Audiophile'' device on which you can change the standards, ... then what is the core value being sold?

I'm not against cheap items or diy items but this one is not for me too...

Nice work at the price though, can't call it a disaster but it is sad to see people hyping up cheapos 

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,028 of 3,124

I just hope people put things in the same tier because ''they both don't have a screen'' lol

in the end the design initiative is different and to me changing opamps as an appeal when the other parts measured not too good is kind of sketchy ( no offence but if it is a selling point and to be advocated, it simply suggest that the design is not seriously conducted towards any sets of opamps and there is no standard) An ''Audiophile'' device on which you can change the standards, ... then what is the core value being sold?

I'm not against cheap items or diy items but this one is not for me too...

Nice work at the price though, can't call it a disaster but it is sad to see people hyping up cheapos 

There's a variety of ways to do comparisons. You could start with price matching, or weight matching, or form/size, or style (screenless). Although I still don't use my Shozy much anymore I still like to keep it around for A/B testing, it's become a bit of a barometer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back