$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,813 of 6,549
To add to what kkcc has set out, with which I agree, I would add one: portability. I have both and I could be loathe to travel with the M as the sole DAP. If I had space, as a backup or alternative. But not if space was an issue or ease of portability. The AK appears to me to more hardy in enduring being bumped around in my carry on luggage..
L3000.gif

That is, coincidentally, one of the (but not only) areas where the AK240 is winning out over the M for me, despite its huge cost over the M.

Advert - thanks for additional comments and comparisons.  Even though it's all your personal opinion, it's still good to get a third party overview of several DAPs.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,817 of 6,549
I had dx50, ak100, ak100mk2, sony zx1, ak120, calyx m, i heard ak240, dx100, fiio x5. Never heard hm901 and dx90

In my opinion. Just sound quality compare (forget built, forget memory, forget OS, forget customer service, forget everything except sound quality)
I think, calyx m stand at the same level with ak240. But difference signature
I find calyx m vocal is aggresive, which is for my personal taste, i dont like it
But if we talk about the other aspect, ak240 is a lot higher than calyx m
For ex. Internal memory, build quality, prestise, os, user interface, etc

The other daps i think ak120 is better than other

Ak100mk2, sony zx1 is stand at the same level for me. But zx1 vocal is very sweet and enjoyable much more than ak100 even ak120

For me, fiio x5 is a budget dap. Fun sound signature. Funny design. Not that expensive

Ibasso dx100 is good sound quality, but a huge body, less battery, and very bad os, very bad user interface

Here is the rank of average (sound quality stand above all aspec)
Ak240 > calyx m > ak120 > zx1 > ak100mk2 > ak100 > x5 > dx100

Now
Why is ak100 better than x5? The mk1 ak100 sound is "very average"
Yes, the sound is a little bit boring. But the compact design, great size, prestise, good build quality. All above x5 bulky fiio
Ak100 is sexy!
Nearly as sexy as zx1 (in my personal taste)

Now
Here is the rank of SOUND QUALITY ONLY
Ak240 = calyx m > ak120 > zx1 = ak100mk2 = dx100 > ak100 > fiio x5 > dx50

Dx100 is better than ak100 , probably a slight better than ak100mk2 in sound quality only

All above is my personal opinion
As daily output cans, i use lcd2F, lcd X, jh16fp, acs T1 live, piano forte x-g

Good to know. I heard about AK120's sound quality. Some people say it's better than AK120 II and AK 100 II.
I'm interested in buying this as well.
I wish I can know if HM901 sounds better than AK120.
Can anyone figure out where HM901 would fit in that rank?
I think R10 / DX100's sound quality is slightly beyond ZX1 and AK100 mkII. 
Some people told me R10 sounds better than AK100 II.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #3,818 of 6,549
Yes it gets really warm. I think I might just send mine back, it's a nice DAP but don't want to compromise anymore.

I thought you were quite excited with it? Seems a big turn around... But really each DAP has some sort of compromise so it'd all a matter of which set of compromises best fit you...

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,821 of 6,549

A cheap alternative case for Calyx M, haven't bought yet. It is wider and taller to compensate the extra depth that the Calyx M has over the Galaxy Note 3.
http://www.dx.com/p/protective-pu-leather-pouch-bag-case-for-samsung-galaxy-note-3-brown-250169#.U8axJfldVcQ

No access to the buttons of course. Do you think (guesstimate) it would fit in there? :)

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #3,822 of 6,549
I thought you were quite excited with it? Seems a big turn around... But really each DAP has some sort of compromise so it'd all a matter of which set of compromises best fit you...

The sound is still great but thinking long term in Australia heat I think calyx m life span will decrease considering how hot it gets.

It's winter here so it's okay now but things will be quiet different summer.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3,824 of 6,549
I tend to listen to music and sleep on my arm chair and in doing so the DAP i use tends to get sandwiched between my leg and the chair. I notice that out of my other DAP calyx is the only one that gets really hot. It just got me worried thinking how it would perform in the 40 degree Australian summer in my pocket.

i really don't want another indoor DAP. I think the leather case will also do it no favour either, the unit must remain naked to remain cold.

Heat means reduce life-span, maybe i am paranoid but putting it out there. Guys buy locally, warranty is really important for this dap.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3,825 of 6,549
The device could run at 80 degrees Celsius and be fine.  The human wouldn't be, but the device couldn't care less.  Heat doesn't kill, thermal cycling does.  Ie when you expand and shrink something repeatedly it tends to go boom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back