$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 14, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #3,782 of 6,549
I have spent quite a bit of time with the different impedance settings and I do not believe that they change the sound at all. All that they are doing is changing the relationship between the slider and the internal digital volume control. It's a logarithmic change so that all three settings are pretty much the same volume with my IEMs at a very low setting. Then the sliding increases the volume more quickly at the higher settings versus the low. This gives finer control or faster volume increases according to your needs.

Currently I am favoring the Mid setting with my IEMS as providing just the right amount of fine volume control,without requiring too much slider movement.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #3,783 of 6,549
Gain modifies volume, volume modifies perceived frequency response, and frequency response explains the changes.  You'd need a dB metre to volume match to some pink noise to be sure.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #3,784 of 6,549
Demo'ing the 0.95.... :)

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #3,785 of 6,549
  I have spent quite a bit of time with the different impedance settings and I do not believe that they change the sound at all. All that they are doing is changing the relationship between the slider and the internal digital volume control. It's a logarithmic change so that all three settings are pretty much the same volume with my IEMs at a very low setting. Then the sliding increases the volume more quickly at the higher settings versus the low. This gives finer control or faster volume increases according to your needs.

Currently I am favoring the Mid setting with my IEMS as providing just the right amount of fine volume control,without requiring too much slider movement.

It is very much IEM depedent, I hear no change with ER4S but on EQ-8 it is total different story. But the change in gain when i change from low impedance to high is noticeable in almost all my IEM. 

At no point I touch the slider when I change those setting. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #3,786 of 6,549
It is very much IEM depedent, I hear no change with ER4S but on EQ-8 it is total different story. But the change in gain when i change from low impedance to high is noticeable in almost all my IEM. 

At no point I touch the slider when I change those setting. 

As I'm listening I think the three settings are really more of a gain setting that changed loudness more than anything else.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #3,788 of 6,549
As I'm listening I think the three settings are really more of a gain setting that changed loudness more than anything else.

Looking forward to your impression.

Also I had a very bad time pairing my F111 with Calyx M, how does the fitear you have there pair with M?

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #3,791 of 6,549
It was a long demo and finally collected my thoughts to share more. Sorry for poor formatting as I'm typing of my Note3.

First off let me say I like 0.95 a lot better than 0.5 as it sounds much more transparent and not as "stuffed"/full as before. Overall more neutral sounding than before (0.5) and to me seems a better balance between a reference sound and a euphoric sound.

Sound signature: I think it does pop/soft rock/vocal jazz the best. Almost reminds me the sound of Final Audio's PF series IEM. Definitely a signature that is very pleasing and have good enough transparency. If you like the transparency/resolution of say a dx90 but don't care for its more neutral and analytical tone, M would give you a better experience. It sounded fuller/warmer than ak240 or hm901 with cards other than the classic card. What I find interesting is that I feel there is a bit more a focus on vocal/midrange, but it doesn't feel that way for instrumental or classical music. I think this is a good thing and let me enjoy vocal tracks.

Soundstage: I find M's soundstage is not as expansive as AK240/HM901/DX90. This won't affect studio recorded or small ensemble music as much as say larger classical pieces or live concert type recording. I also feel there is a touch of reverb to M's presentation making it sounding like a small to mid size room. I find M benefits from IEM with a wider soundstage like 1p2. It may also explain why I feel full size headphones like K812 pairs better than any of my IEMs. Nonetheless, this actually works very well with many of my 80s canto-pop albums and I enjoyed them on M a lot.

IEM pairing: Amongst my IEMs, it paired best with the ER4S, drives it much better than the AK240 and also sounded better than with 901 stock/classic card. 1plus2 also sound quite good as M sort of full in some of the at-times recessed mids. Jh13fp/re600 also does well with a fuller sig but loses some treble sparkles when compared to hm901/ak240. Didn't like ASG2, tg334 pairing. These pairing seems to sound a bit veiled with loosier mid bass.

UI and build: UI is also improved: a lot less baggy and I can live with most operations maybe except the occasional freezes when scrolling albums, and the weird delay when you press the "current playlist" button at the upper right corner. Lastly I really want to have folder browsing, and an option to display album art/playback buttons differently.

Built is still pretty much the same as the earlier unit. But not as well built nor have that premium feeling of the AKs. Don't feel it is particularly resistant to wear/tear/scratches and definitely want to have a case to avoid (think dx50/90). But definitely looks a lot better than the hm901.

Conclusion (for now): All in all I would have bought it if I don't have my hm901 and it's amp cards. But I still find hm901 sounded better to me with better transparency and flexibility to switch amp boards or a warmer fuller sound (classic) to more neutral (iem/balanced) to more aggressive (minibox/discrete) sound that made it hard to be replaced by the M. FWIW the salesperson did mentioned to me there are a number of 802/901 users interested in the M.

Well, knowing myself I probably would still end up with one if Calyx continue to polish the firmware and get battery life right. :D

Bonus coverage: I also had my Hugo with me and it's SQ imo is materially better than any of these DAPs regardless of IEM pairing. But of course it's apple to orange as it's a dac/amp that needed a transport.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #3,792 of 6,549
kkcc, I really appreciate these impressions. They ring true to me. The M + Heaven VI is sounding like an endgame rig for me for vocal pop and also electronica. I like it with everything but a bit more grit (aggression) won't hurt for hard rock. It depends on the track. When The Levee Breaks is near perfect but some Van Halen for example could afford to be a bit rougher and less smooth. My ES5 may get some more work; they are still fairly relaxed but not as overtly euphonic as the Heavens.

The M definitely deserves a good case. The Dignis slips into my pant pocket and provides just the right degree of protection but ease of access for the controls. It is well designed. I also think the M + Dignis will hold its own for class against most.

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #3,793 of 6,549
Just got mine. :D
It's definitely on the big side, same width as LG G2, shorter but thicker. Looks and feels well built.
Oh and the slider, it's a bit stiff, you won't accidentally move it.

Edit: 
- Just found out the back cover isn't aligned perfectly with its side cover. It's tiny bit off. Not an issue but with its price and material used, this shouldn't pass the QC.
- The default screen brightness is too bright 

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #3,794 of 6,549
I am having amazing synergy with CK100pro and ER4S, on the negative side I am suspecting slow battery discharge on my unit even when the DAP is off.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #3,795 of 6,549
  Just got mine. :D
It's definitely on the big side, same width as LG G2, shorter but thicker. Looks and feels well built.
Oh and the slider, it's a bit stiff, you won't accidentally move it.

Edit: 
Just found out the back cover isn't aligned perfectly with its side cover. It's tiny bit off. Not an issue but with its price and material used, this shouldn't pass the QC.

Are you talking about the Dignis case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back