$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #3,736 of 6,550
  I just burned the M to the quick and with moderate UI use I got 5 hours and then some. It is hard to be more precise than that.

It is what it is. I can make it work. The Calyx M + Heaven VI is sounding so good. I am ecstatic about my new toy.  :)

Please provide impressions comparing to X5. Thank you, SE.

popcorn.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,739 of 6,550
  Solved the button issue....now another issue. I cant seem to find the boot file within the folders at all.

Put the unzipped firmware file on the root directory of your SD memory(I mean, just do not put the file in any type o' folders but just  in your SD memory... if this doesn't work, factory reset your Calyx and just use your SD w/o MSD, and your SD should only have the unzipped firmware zip file, then  updating will be work for sure... remember... "unzipped" is the key ), then you will find the firmware file w/o browsing.

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,741 of 6,550
I hope it blows the X5 out of the water.

Any comparisons to Zx1? Pretty much polar opposites it seems.

ZX1 seems to me... is not a cutting edged hi end DAP but a good sounded all round multimedia entertainment player...(which is still good n handy.)
Calyx M is a true Hi-end HiFi audio player in my point o' view...

Although I'm not so satisfied w/some policy of D&A and what they did,
I can't deny the quality sound of Calyx M...

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3,742 of 6,550
  Yeah I did (Basically the unzipped file that I downloaded had like 3 folders and the disc mount files). Everytime i press on update from SD card theyll ask me to direct further where nothing can be found.

mmmm.... and one more thing I presume...

you should press 'play' button to execute update...

anda ...

In order to surefire your update... leave nothing but only 'zipped' update file in your SD...
I did that way:p 

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,743 of 6,550
Hahaha yeah I did as well but its still asking me to do the same thing - redirect. I think I lost a whole head of hair because of the update. This is gonna be the 6th time i redownload the update zip file to ensure I'm definitely using the right one -_-

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #3,744 of 6,550
  Yeah I did (Basically the unzipped file that I downloaded had like 3 folders and the disc mount files). Everytime i press on update from SD card theyll ask me to direct further where nothing can be found.

Sorry... my mistake... It should be stay 'zipped' when you update...
Plz try that way.
I failed first time and it was unzipped...
The right way is to be zipped.(i mean, do not change the downloaded file(unzip or anything) and just put the downloaded one in the root directory( I mean just in your SD , do not put in any sort of folders but on the top)
I'm 100% positive it will work that way...

Sorry for the misstype.( more likely... loose thinking)

just try to help you though....

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3,746 of 6,550
  AHHHHH zipped file alright got it to work. No I really appreciated your help I wouldn't have thought of keeping it zip without your help. Thank you so much =D

Successful?,  
I' m staying on the line since I gave you miss info once...
Do not forget to press 'Play' when you're about to choose to execute the update.

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #3,748 of 6,550
Jul 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,749 of 6,550
ZX1 seems to me... is not a cutting edged hi end DAP but a good sounded all round multimedia entertainment player...(which is still good n handy.)
Calyx M is a true Hi-end HiFi audio player in my point o' view...

Although I'm not so satisfied w/some policy of D&A and what they did,
I can't deny the quality sound of Calyx M...

That seems to sum it up perfectly, which is why I feel like I am missing something with it. I love it, I have no complaints, but I suspect it sounds no better than my girls ipod touch... out of fear of my feeling, I've yet to do any sort of a/b comparison. I think when I return from vacation, I will sell some items and use the proceeds to get me the Calyx M.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #3,750 of 6,550
That seems to sum it up perfectly, which is why I feel like I am missing something with it. I love it, I have no complaints, but I suspect it sounds no better than my girls ipod touch... out of fear of my feeling, I've yet to do any sort of a/b comparison. I think when I return from vacation, I will sell some items and use the proceeds to get me the Calyx M.

Well... 

First of all, I believe ipod is a wicked good music player(when it comes to the balanced hifi sound)...
I also believe Apple's earpods deliver really good sound w/ affordable price...
People have tendency of thinking more priced product tops cheaper ones... and also have tendency of famous companies only have names but no quality,
but Apple's music products beat both conditions... and we're too used to recognize such awesome products(Apple made such standards... we're just .. used to it)

Handful of manufacturers claim they make DAPs... but I don't even know what DAP stands for...(doesn't mean I don't really know what it stands for but I don't think we have such standard for DAP products yet... DAPs are relatively new to us.) so what you gotta believe are only your ears.

I think a DAP, (when it comes to the definition,) should deliver good sound of digital music medium and at the same time, got to be different from MP3s and CDs...(if its just like older digital devices... why do we need it?)and I think Calyx M satisfies these. Mainly focused on its sound... 

I think a part of the reason why companies make DAP things are to break through such saturated market and the world wide depression of our miserable economy.
So we get fooled by some makers...(probably an ipod would be good enough... consumers always get fooled by product makers if you see through history, because we just have such tendency to consume) but one thing to make sure is we need to get better products than yesterday.

I had my chance to check the sound of M before it was on mass production since I've been living in S.Korea for last several years, and since the very first time I heard the sound, I like it a lot. ( I also loved D&A till this period o' time, I'm not sure now.)
D&A modified this n that afterwise... skipping WiFi n  changing shape n...( people of this thread got kinda angry for these reasons and others) but those weren't really big things to me as long as it sounded good. And I'm satisfied till now...(I mean, the sound to me is not everything but the most important factor) I absolutely agree w/it's sound.
For a while, I couldn't understand some people of this thread got so angry about D&A... I only thought they are the people of competitors tryin to screw this thread so D&A goes down... but noticed thats not all. To explain about this...I got to write a book about it, but sad thing is mainly about ... the company having no sensitivity of bearing people... Sometimes... I feel D&A only cares about people who only praise D&A...  In direct word... D&A  seems like to me, saying 'a big **** you' to everyone who makes such notice to the product or the company... their announcement sometimes sounds like that. Doesn't seem like D&A bears people.
I won't mention everything about it and short out now, cos it will be really long if I do so... but I feel Calyx M is... kinda got underestimated because of these reasons...

If I kinda review about Calyx M as a product, in one word, I would say... somewhat... revolutionary. (I'm sayin out this from my heart,man...n I hav no such relation w/ calyx, swear to God. I hav such sad feeling about Calyx rather... cos they seem to have no respect to me.)
Cos it delivers deference from older digital players, such as supporting native DSD in good price(unlike n like AK240). The battery latency isn't quite good as P1, but fair if  considering it bears class A amp inside(dunno if its true.. I've heard and was understandable by hearing the sound,), Sabre 9018 family DAP, very fine tuned... not the best but fair UI which is getting better time after time w/ firms... n revolutionary(at least to me)thick and warm sound which got the scant of analog... like the name of the company.

If you have accurate ears and listen to Calyx M for a week or so... You would notice What I mention about the sound is very true(at least about the sound...). Overall...this is a fat product which I got stuck...
But I hope the company load "the Sensitivity" in its heart. I mean... like Apple..or people like me just sell this product as used with regret. and join in the blaming mob...

Just mumbled w/  breaky heart... (cos I love this product)
But wrote this $hit,facing very true of my heart.
Was this some kinda answer to you? or a review? 
I don't even know...:p
Thanks for the reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back