3rd Annual Austin, Texas Spring Meet - March 2nd, 2013
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #256 of 774
Who's got some suggestions for hotels in the area? (Doesn't need to be swanky, but needs to be safe if my gears going to be in the car.)

Put the expensive stuff in a suitcase and drag it in the room with you. That's what I do.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #257 of 774
I would look for the hotels around mopac and 183.  That area is called the Aboretum.  There is a whole pack of them nested in between the two highways and they are nicer, but cheap as they are geared towards business travelers.  

http://goo.gl/maps/Cv5O8

I would personally avoid all of the hotels on or close to I35.  

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #258 of 774
Yep, that is just a few miles from the Norris Center too. There's a whole slew of them there. Definitely avoid I35. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #259 of 774
I'm staying at one on I35. Read through reviews all day off and on yesterday trying to decide, but reviews are hard to judge. One person says it is disgusting and horrible service the next says it was clean and friendly... Almost all of the arboretum hotels are well over $100 a night. Since I'm staying two nights I'm not too keen to spend nearly $300 on lodging. I stayed at a hotel that was really a motel last time up in Georgetown for $60 a night and it was more than satisfactory. Hoping to repeat that experience a bit closer to the meet this time.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #260 of 774
183 and i35 is not the worst area of town, but it is next to the worst area of town, Runberg and 35.  Put this way:  When Austin decided to install eye in the sky crime cameras they put them in that area and that area only.

I'm not saying you can't find a decent hotel there, but your odds of finding a terrible on are going to go way up.

If there was even one review saying it was disgusting, it's probably right.  That area sucks.

Edit:  Here is the "cheaper" place I would recommend.  http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/candlewood/hotels/us/en/austin/aussb/hoteldetail  Its 90 a night if you register early.  You can probably get a cheaper rate if you call.  And if you get 5 people staying there you can get a group rate (probably only about 10 bucks off a night). 

Things in the Arboretum are going to cost ~20-30 more than i35, but your peace of mind is probably worth it.  I would doubt if you are going to find anything less than 65 in the city anyway.  Again, you can probably find a perfectly fine place on i35, but you would definitely roll the dice.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #261 of 774
Problem is every hotel has those reviews. It's to the point where you almost can't trust the individual review and have to trust the overall score.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #262 of 774
Fair enough, every place is going to have some bad reviews.  They have an off night, or some people just can't be pleased.  I just expect the bad reviews in that area to be more likely to be true.  

Just trying to help out though.  Especially since you'll be lugging a few grand worth of equipment around.  Austin doesn't have big city problems, and it's not like it's unsafe so anywhere is probably fine.  Just thought I'd mention where I'd recommend and when I think of the bad areas of town, I35 & 183 and especially I35 and Runberg top that list, and happen to be the highest crime areas.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #263 of 774
Quote:
Problem is every hotel has those reviews. It's to the point where you almost can't trust the individual review and have to trust the overall score.

Well, here you have two unbiased Austinites telling you to avoid I35. But you shouldn't have a problem if you bring your gear inside. But I sure as hell would not leave it alone in the room. If you go out to eat, bring it with you. The trunk of the car is a better option, or even inside the restaurant if you've got a suitcase 
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #264 of 774
I've stayed here before. Close, clean, good breakfasts (free for HHGold members), and $84 a night either king or double queen.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/hilton-garden-inn-austin-nw-arboretum-AUSAAGI/index.html

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #265 of 774
Looks good I might cancel mine. Didn't see that place because it was several pages back on hotels.com.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #266 of 774
Meet officially starts at 9AM with setup from 8-9. Teardown starts around 4PM and we need to be cleaned up and out the door by 5PM.

Please take the time to get your payment in. We are at $280 paid of $725 so far. $20 PayPal gift to maxvla@hotmail.com or pm me for address to mail a check. Also list your gear in a pm to Morbidtoaster or in the thread if you haven't already. If you are staying at a hotel be sure to get a reservation soon and avoid hotels on I35, try those near the Arboretum.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #267 of 774
Let me know if anyone wants to hear any of the following:

Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS
Final Audio Design Heaven VI
Final Audio Design Piano Forte IX
Panasonic HTF600
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Shure E3C
Sony MDR-V900HD
Ultrasone HFI-780

Edit:
Audioengine D1
RSA P-51 Mustang

Edit 2:
Or a Double Helix Cable for your CIEM

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #268 of 774
Also, my girl will be in attendance to help out however needed. Security watch, money taker, lunch grabber, bouncer...

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #270 of 774
You got it!

And yeah man she's got these short little legs with the right leverage. We were F'in around at a hotel one time walking around and found the gym and she pressed the full 750lb on the leg press. 
eek.gif

I did about 250....

She'll drop kick anyone that messes with our gear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back