24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Mar 7, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #2,912 of 7,175
New Steven Wilson is now available @ HDtracks

http://www.hdtracks.com/hand-cannot-erase-1

I can't think of a reason to buy HCE from HDTracks. The BR disc is basically the same price, has the content in stereo, 5.1, and instrumental versions. All in 96/24. Also has alternate versions of the songs and a 30 minute "making of" video. And a FLAC download code.

HDtracks has only the 96/24 stereo content. I love the concept of HDTracks but their pricing is, IMO, ridiculous.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2,913 of 7,175
I can't think of a reason to buy HCE from HDTracks. The BR disc is basically the same price, has the content in stereo, 5.1, and instrumental versions. All in 96/24. Also has alternate versions of the songs and a 30 minute "making of" video. And a FLAC download code.

HDtracks has only the 96/24 stereo content. I love the concept of HDTracks but their pricing is, IMO, ridiculous.

+1 ... I ordered the BD for the reasons you mention. But for some, ripping the BD is a challenge and is inconvenient, hence the download code, which is a nice touch. Is the FLAC download 44.1/16 or 96/24?

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,914 of 7,175

+1 ... I ordered the BD for the reasons you mention. But for some, ripping the BD is a challenge and is inconvenient, hence the download code, which is a nice touch. Is the FLAC download 44.1/16 or 96/24?

I don't know what format the FLAC is in.  I ordered the deluxe set with the book and other material and haven't looked to see if there was a download card in there somewhere yet.  If there is, I'll download and let you know.

As ridiculous as it is to have to spend money to rip my own BRs, I broke down a while back and purchased AnyDVD HD, so ripping BRs is pretty simple.  Nothing like having to pay to use content you legally purchased.....

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #2,915 of 7,175

I understand your point, but at the same time, ultraviolet light is invisible to our eyes. So invisible is invisible, right? Yet, technology exists that allows artists to make beautiful works of art through ultraviolet photography. My only point is that if that exists, it's possible that something similar could happen with the bits of audio that we can't hear. You're free to disagree, but are you so narrow-minded that you can't consider the possibility?

This post smacks of desperation. In spite of that, your UV example is spot on. It's like releasing photo prints which contain UV information even though the human eye can't see it. Completely pointless. Yes, you can convert UV images to visible images. That would be like slowing down ultrasonic recordings to make them audible. Completely irrelevant to hi-fi sound reproduction.

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,916 of 7,175

This post smacks of desperation. In spite of that, your UV example is spot on. It's like releasing photo prints which contain UV information even though the human eye can't see it. Completely pointless. Yes, you can convert UV images to visible images. That would be like slowing down ultrasonic recordings to make them audible. Completely irrelevant to hi-fi sound reproduction.

I fail to see how I'm being desperate. I completely recognize that I can't hear the difference between the 2 formats. I've said it a dozen times. I just believe the possibility exists that one day someone may be able to do something interesting with it. That's it.

I completely disagree that ultraviolet or infrared photo prints are useless. There are some incredibly beautiful works of art done using UV and IR cameras. Yes, they are the result of digital filtering (or trickery) but that doesn't change the fact that the end result can be a unique experience that we don't get through traditional still photography. Perhaps someone, somewhere, somewhen will be able to manipulate ultrasonic or subsonic frequencies into a unique experience we don't get through traditional music.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #2,917 of 7,175
An infrared photo is like taking gamelan music and pitching the super audible frequencies down into the audible range. But you don't need infrared in a photo of your mom or your dog. You don't need super audible frequencies in your copy of Dark Side of the Moon or Bob Dylan either.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,918 of 7,175

Yeah, the pricing makes me shake my head. I just ordered this disc:
https://www.sonoluminus.com/p-369-toccatas-blu-ray-cd.aspx

I got a new disc for $14 on the Amazon market. That gets me a Blu-ray with 2.0 and 5.1 @ 24/192 and 7.1 @ 24/96 AND a Redbook CD. Even at list price, that beats what you get from HD Tracks and Pono, let alone for $14.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,919 of 7,175
  An infrared photo is like taking gamelan music and pitching the super audible frequencies down into the audible range. But you don't need infrared in a photo of your mom or your dog. You don't need super audible frequencies in your copy of Dark Side of the Moon or Bob Dylan either.

Yes, you're right. It's a different thing entirely. Doesn't make it wrong though. Just different.

I never said I would want infrared in a normal photo. It's a different application that uses invisible light.

I also wouldn't want those frequencies in my Bob Dylan. That's missing the point. But it might be interesting to hear music that was made specifically with super-audible frequencies in mind.

Is there any commercially available music that pitches super audible frequencies into an audible range? I tried to Google it but I'm not 100% sure exactly what to search for.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2,920 of 7,175

Yes, you're right. It's a different thing entirely. Doesn't make it wrong though. Just different.

I never said I would want infrared in a normal photo. It's a different application that uses invisible light.

I also wouldn't want those frequencies in my Bob Dylan. That's missing the point. But it might be interesting to hear music that was made specifically with super-audible frequencies in mind.

Is there any commercially available music that pitches super audible frequencies into an audible range? I tried to Google it but I'm not 100% sure exactly what to search for.

Most of the hi-res content is going to be upper harmonics of the low-frequency content, so if you move the hi-res stuff down into the audible range there's a good chance it would just get masked and you wouldn't hear it anyway (especially since it's lower in volume unless you gain boost it). What you could hear would certainly clash with the original low-res content.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #2,921 of 7,175

Here you go... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-t_Bo54ftM

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #2,923 of 7,175

Most of the hi-res content is going to be upper harmonics of the low-frequency content, so if you move the hi-res stuff down into the audible range there's a good chance it would just get masked and you wouldn't hear it anyway (especially since it's lower in volume unless you gain boost it). What you could hear would certainly clash with the original low-res content.

That's interesting. I wonder if one could strip away the low-res content and manipulate the sounds that are left?

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #2,924 of 7,175

That's interesting. I wonder if one could strip away the low-res content and manipulate the sounds that are left?

Of course, you can do anything really. But the material at the top isn't really "musical" as raw material: the frequency relationships sound all wrong.

As an example, here's a clip of hi-res material, pitched down a few octaves:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmVtb5IwniEemVTRXlzYVkyZTQ/view?usp=sharing

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #2,925 of 7,175
Clever. Whatever man.

Isn't that what you asked for? Frequencies above the range of human hearing are beyond the range of control by musicians. Musicians can't hear them. They are going to be just sounds, not music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back