24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Mar 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,927 of 7,175
  Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but couldn't you still use 16/44.1 after bringing that stuff down in to the audible spectrum? Once again, for final distribution you wouldn't need high res.

Yes, but I assume the argument was focused on making sure these sounds made it through the ADC at least, so they were available to use for whatever nefarious purpose (like selling people DSotM again).

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #2,928 of 7,175
Considering that the only real sound information that exists in music above 20kHz is upper harmonics on cymbal crashes, I don't think pitched down super audible frequencies is going to sound any better than the trash man banging your garbage cans around on trash day. It's not like musicians are able to create music they can't even hear.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,930 of 7,175
-Beethoven; Ninth.

(Yes, not quite the same thing - but an opportunity too good to pass up, anyway... :wink:

I know what you did there, but I would maintain that Beethoven did hear his music, in his mind.  Ears are for amateurs 
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2,934 of 7,175
A pretty cool article about highres from a mainstream journal. Much better than most I read in the so called audio press
http://www.wsj.com/articles/hi-res-audio-hijinx-why-only-some-albums-truly-rock-1425675329?KEYWORDS=high+resolution+audio

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #2,935 of 7,175
A pretty cool article about highres from a mainstream journal. Much better than most I read in the so called audio press
http://www.wsj.com/articles/hi-res-audio-hijinx-why-only-some-albums-truly-rock-1425675329?KEYWORDS=high+resolution+audio

It's easy to see how a n00b like that reporter could get sucked into the marketing BS... All he had to do was compare a 16/44 and a hi-res copy of the same master, and he would know that the differences are not due to the format.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #2,936 of 7,175

It's easy to see how a n00b like that reporter could get sucked into the marketing BS... All he had to do was compare a 16/44 and a hi-res copy of the same master, and he would know that the differences are not due to the format.

He almost figured that out but fell and hit his head along the way.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2,937 of 7,175
From the article: 
 I relaxed into a seat in front of Magico’s $229,000 Q7 Mark II speakers. Mr. Wolf played a jazz track from the album “Mirror,” by saxophonist Charles Lloyd—first in CD quality, then in high-resolution—and spoke of the subtle difference, a richness that hi-res delivers. I believed I could hear it, too. But maybe I just wanted to.

Rather telling that a high priest of hi-res felt he had to coach the reporter in real time in a non-blind comparison in order to hear the difference.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #2,939 of 7,175

Is there any commercially available music that pitches super audible frequencies into an audible range? I tried to Google it but I'm not 100% sure exactly what to search for.

Here you go... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-t_Bo54ftM

That was amazing; thank you, bigshot.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #2,940 of 7,175
In response to the HDtracks thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/756377/special-hdtracks-sale-plus-new-led-zeppelin/15#post_11401135
  Hello all,

Thank you very much for all your comments and feedback.  We value each and every one of our users and potential users opinions.  We are constantly striving to make the HDtracks service as great as it can be.  With that being said, we test each and every release in house and independently for resolution and bit depth and stand by all of our designations.  We try to be as transparent as possible in the about section of all of our albums in regards to recording, mastering, remastering etc.  For example with the Beck album,  from the very first day it was made live we commented on the recording and particular tracks "Tracks 4, 5, 7, 10, 11 contain elements of 48k tracking, mastered in 96/24." 

We always request as much information as possible from the labels but sometimes they do not provide it or have much available.  They have thousands of sessions they oversee per year and to get detailed analysis of what happened on each session is a very time consuming and enormous task.  At the end of the day music is subjective and we believe as well as many people believe that our releases in many cases sound head and shoulders better than their mp3 or CD versions.   We are also aware that many times hi-res audio is better translated when the recording and mastering is done with hi-res audio in mind.  However we are simply a digital service provider and cannot hold back or not release particular albums.  We are not the judge and jury of people's art.  The musicians choose how they want their art to sound. 

At the very beginning of HDtracks due to our naivete we released a very few amount of albums that were not up to par with our hi-res designation.  This was due to hi-res audio being a very new thing, miscommunication between us and labels, us not doing our due diligence and a few other reasons.  Since then we have gone above and beyond to make sure we put out the very best product possible and test each and every file.  And in cases like the Beck album we give as much information as humanly possible to put forth all the information we have, so you the consumer can make an educated decision.

As you can see on this thread alone their are people who are very happy with the sound of the Beck album, once again because music is subjective and HDtracks is not going to take that away.  That is what makes music so amazing. 

With all that being said, we truly do welcome your feedback and will continue to try and bring high-resolution audio to higher heights and a more widely used audio format. Which will hopefully leader to higher awareness, when recording, mastering and delivering music. 

Thanks,

HDtracks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back