[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Mar 20, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #6,962 of 7,442
  Ali refunded me for my missing Monk order. I feel really disappointed that I'll never hear them. I don't plan on making a second order. I've lost trust.

Where do you live in Canada? If color does not matter I have some spare red and purple ones, I could mail you one, you can try it and if you like them purchase thru VE Clan for the color you want that they have.  

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #6,963 of 7,442
  Where do you live in Canada? If color does not matter I have some spare red and purple ones, I could mail you one, you can try it and if you like them purchase thru VE Clan for the color you want that they have.  

I live in Vancouver, you? I'd love to try them. That'd be cool. I guess if they are as good as people say, I'd have to eat my words and buy them again. :wink:

Edit: You live in Socal, How am I supposed to meet you in person? Lol.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #6,965 of 7,442
I live in Vancouver, you? I'd love to try them. That'd be cool. I guess if they are as good as people say, I'd have to eat my words and buy them again. :wink:

Edit: You live in Socal, How am I supposed to meet you in person? Lol.

I was going to be in Winterpeg and Calgary for a few days visiting relatives. I could just mail one if you'd like, PM me your address.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #6,966 of 7,442
I got these from Amazon for $12 today after a) wanting to hear a pair finally and b) needing a throwaround pair for various purposes.

Impressions:

Solidly built. Pretty comfortable - they just plop into my ear. I had to angle them down to get the most sound out of them, as just sitting straight up @ 90 degree angle was missing my earhole somewhat.

Without Pads:

Soundstage: Wide. Open. The sound is coming from outside of your head slightly. These are open backs, so don't expect isolation from the outside world.

Bass -- it's there but extremely polite. No thump, little impact.

Mids: Generally very good. The vocals are extremely well done, with them pushed out ahead of the music. Not super pushed out, but enough you can tell these are extremely vocal oriented earphones. Detail is all there, but maybe slightly veiled. This could be just me or it could be the phones. I have to let them burn in longer to make a determination. edit: I think they needed burn in, I hear more detail tonight now.

Highs: Somewhat peaky in some areas. Not obnoxiously so, but enough my ears could tell and irritation was somewhat there. (pretty minor)

Tone: Pretty neutral, slightly bright-ish. The sound is thin but not shrill. There's very little body to the music -- it's honestly bland sounding. Very little excitement, there's no heft to it. It's very polite sounding. It sounds very good generally speaking, but not involving. The emotion just isn't felt there. Everything sounds kinda flat.

With pads:

Bass - added heft and body to the bass. Not a ton, but definitely more.

Mids: added heft and weight to the vocals. The vocals are pushed back just slightly. Still sound really good and natural.

Highs: Tamed that peakiness. Level of detail remains about the same, but the minor (MINOR) irritation from the highs is gone.

Tone: about the same, but with the added heft/weight, the sounds is MUCH more involving now. More exciting, more emotion, more body. Detail level remains about the same.

Overall, WELL worth the 5 or 10 bucks for these. BANG FOR THE BUCK. I don't think I've heard any earbuds that sound this good in the lower(est) price range.

I'll be trying this out over the next couple of days on my other equipment to see if that changes anything. Right now just using the phone and DFB. Will try my computer setup (Geek Out 2A DAC/amp) later.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #6,967 of 7,442

I got these from Amazon for $12 today after a) wanting to hear a pair finally and b) needing a throwaround pair for various purposes.

Impressions:

Solidly built. Pretty comfortable - they just plop into my ear. I had to angle them down to get the most sound out of them, as just sitting straight up @ 90 degree angle was missing my earhole somewhat.

Without Pads:

Soundstage: Wide. Open. The sound is coming from outside of your head slightly. These are open backs, so don't expect isolation from the outside world.

Mids: Generally very good. The vocals are extremely well done, with them pushed out ahead of the music. Not super pushed out, but enough you can tell these are extremely vocal oriented earphones. Detail is all there, but maybe slightly veiled. This could be just me or it could be the phones. I have to let them burn in longer to make a determination. edit: I think they needed burn in, I hear more detail tonight now.

Highs: Somewhat peaky in some areas. Not obnoxiously so, but enough my ears could tell and irritation was somewhat there. (pretty minor)

Tone: Pretty neutral, slightly bright-ish. The sound is thin but not shrill. There's very little body to the music -- it's honestly bland sounding. Very little excitement, there's no heft to it. It's very polite sounding. It sounds very good generally speaking, but not involving. The emotion just isn't felt there. Everything sounds kinda flat.

With pads:

Mids: added heft and weight to the vocals. The vocals are pushed back just slightly. Still sound really good and natural.

Highs: Tamed that peakiness. Level of detail remains about the same, but the minor (MINOR) irritation from the highs is gone.

Tone: about the same, but with the added heft/weight, the sounds is MUCH more involving now. More exciting, more emotion, more body. Detail level remains about the same.

Overall, WELL worth the 5 or 10 bucks for these. BANG FOR THE BUCK. I don't think I've heard any earbuds that sound this good in the lower(est) price range.

I'll be trying this out over the next couple of days on my other equipment to see if that changes anything. Right now just using the phone and DFB. Will try my computer setup (Geek Out 2A DAC/amp) later.

I agree with your assessment. I think the "Donut" foams are the better ones to use though. I've also re-cabled the headphones with Mogami and SPC...and enjoy though more than stock (though... not everyone is going to even bother to try it this way). I just enjoy modding everything.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #6,968 of 7,442

Impressions:

Without Pads:

With pads:

On Amazon (US) listed as "Ollivan C3254 VE Monk " - but I was very happy with my last two orders directly from VE. The total ship time was 11 days. I suppose the benefit of ordering from Amazon is if it's defective (very slight chance of that) or you simply don't like them (YMMV) - easy to get full refund.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #6,969 of 7,442

Burn them in for at least 20 hours and pair them with donut foams for more body to the bass and midrange without affecting to the overall clarity. Monk is still one of my favorite in my collection. Enjoy them! :thumbsup:

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #6,970 of 7,442
I agree with your assessment. I think the "Donut" foams are the better ones to use though. I've also re-cabled the headphones with Mogami and SPC...and enjoy though more than stock (though... not everyone is going to even bother to try it this way). I just enjoy modding everything.

I'm seriously considering getting another set with the 3.5 TRRS plug to take advantage of my balanced amp.

What do the other earbud models in the company sound like?

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #6,972 of 7,442
I'm seriously considering getting another set with the 3.5 TRRS plug to take advantage of my balanced amp.

What do the other earbud models in the company sound like?

I would like to try out balanced, if I had a balanced DAP or Amp... I don't though... so, no point for me at the moment.  Report back if you do though.  As far as the rest of their line-up, I do not know... as I've only tried the Monk+ (normal and Espresso versions).

Where can I get the doughnut covers?

That would be the "EX-Pack" from on VE... but I do not know if they sell them separate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back