[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Mar 24, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #2,356 of 7,442
  They've replaced the HD600 for me (as well as quite a few others) just simply because of the total package they provide.

The sound quality is quite good and I agree with the comparison to the HD600 (they probably fall somewhere between the 598 and 600 sound quality wise), they're inexpensive and easy to replace so I don't have to baby them, they can be thrown in a bag, they don't need an amp to sound good, the foam options/earhooks provide some basic signature changes if desired, and for me, they're super comfy and I forget that I'm using them.

To me the sum of that beats a lot of flagship headphones, but as always YMMV. :)

Now to decide if I want to upgrade to the Asura 2.0 or not...

The Asura 2.0 I was really worried if it would justify the jump in price between the Monk and the Asura. The answer was a definite "yes" in my opinion. I have two sets and love them. They complement the Monk amazingly - on songs where the Monk isn't as great or is too forward, the Asura is perfect. I've only had the Asura 2.0's for a few days but just like the Monk, there isn't any genre it sounds bad with. Soundstage is amazing and many times superior to the Monk's soundstage and imaging capabilities. I still enjoy going between the two, but I'm enjoying the Asura with an amp more, without question.

Yes I do have my second pair (the ones I got used) for sale but I want to order the $300 Rubys
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #2,360 of 7,442
  Maybe they will bring them back alongside the expasion pack :b 

My guess is that is likely why they haven't been restocked yet. I've been watching for a restock for close to a week now. Hopefully they'll be back up in some form soon.

I just caved and bought an Asura 2.0 in the meantime. :D

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #2,362 of 7,442
  Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge smartphone, XMOS USB 384K/32bit DAC / amp, VE Monk:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/241156-new-async-xmos-384k-32bit-pcm5102-dac-ebay.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

96 kHz file > USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) running on Galaxy S7 Edge > 96 kHz PCM audio stream >> USB OTG cable >> XMOS USB 384K/32bit DAC / amp >> VE Monk

Are you powering that with the phone itself? I see no external power source.

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #2,368 of 7,442
I made a homebrew impedance adapter.

Used
- KZ ED9 cable (from a defective pair that I had)
- 3.5mm female pcb mount
- Small dot pcb
- 2x resistors 75ohm. I couldn't find these in my town, so opting for 100 ohm for now.

Currently I've mounted all the components on the PCB and soldered. Its ready to use, but I want it to be more secure and housed. So creating that with m-seal as shown in last pic.

Component side:

Socket side:

Component side (permanently covered with m-seal) :

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #2,369 of 7,442
Would this fancy one be any different from cheaper adapters on ebay?

Definitely better than those cheap only jack type adapters.

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #2,370 of 7,442
My impression of this adapter is positive. It surely makes the sound of Monk airier and reduces extra energy in bass spectrum whilr keeping the wormth intact.

I'd suggest people to try out this adapter for cheap. This did cost me <$1 (excluding the cable, which I recycled).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back