$2000 Closed Back Headphone
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

OspreyAndy

500+ Head-Fier
In two weeks time I will be spending around $2000 on one closed back headphone. My shortlist so far points to Sennheiser HD820.

But before pulling the trigger, I would like to hear suggestions based on the following criteria which is crucial for me:
- Sparkly resolving sonic characteristics with micro details (similar to Etymotic ER4S)
- Comfortable and isolate well

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 32
There are currently 4 big players in the closed back section.

These are TH900, AH-D9200, Focal Stellia and Verite Closed. The HD820 doesn't belong to them.

Then there are some secret tips but i won't state those as you won't go for them anyway because they don't cost as much.

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 32
For what kind of music, and what amp(s) do you have?

Haven't heard the Etys but I'm enthralled with my new pair of TH900mk2 Sapphires. There is considerable debate amongst the Fostexionados whether the Sapphires and the Reds have any significant differences if you don't have both pair in front of you.

Fostex has micro detail, slam, and is the fastest headphone I have heard. The way Fostex renders percussion is difficult to believe. It's a hugely engaging headphone that's serious yet compelling to keep listening to. The AH-D9200 should be similar. Both are easily driven. The Fostex does not seal well.

I don't know about the Stellia. @Monsterzero can answer any questions about the Verite Closed, and there is a huge thread. It will need a good amp.

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 32
For what kind of music, and what amp(s) do you have?

Haven't heard the Etys but I'm enthralled with my new pair of TH900mk2 Sapphires. There is considerable debate amongst the Fostexionados whether the Sapphires and the Reds have any significant differences if you don't have both pair in front of you.

Fostex has micro detail, slam, and is the fastest headphone I have heard. The way Fostex renders percussion is difficult to believe. It's a hugely engaging headphone that's serious yet compelling to keep listening to. The AH-D9200 should be similar. Both are easily driven. The Fostex does not seal well.

I don't know about the Stellia. @Monsterzero can answer any questions about the Verite Closed, and there is a huge thread. It will need a good amp.
I am running Cayin N6ii E02 which is discrete dual DAC of ES9038Q2M Lineout to Topping A50s amp in balanced mode. Primarily my music are rock/indie/metal and some selection of females like Diana Krall, Suzanne Vega, Alison Krauss & Texas. I don't listen to classical or anything like that.

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 32
I don't know closed backs that well but I'm thinking ZMF, maybe even Eikons. And you'll probably need to upgrade your amp considerably to get the most out of them.

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 32
I a/b the VC and Stellia, and while both are fantastic sounding headphones, the VC IMHO beats it rather handily. Both headphones use drivers made out of Beryllium, which is a metal. The benefit is a lightning fast transient speed.

The Stellia's driver is 100% Beryllium vs. VC which is 20% coated. The coated driver was actually more expensive to make vs. 100%. Their rationale for using a coated driver was a more natural sound, which I could clearly hear in my a/b listening. The Stellia has a metallic flavor to its sound, but to be honest I didnt notice it until I swapped over to the VC, then I was unable to un-hear it. My advice is to not a/b those two side by side.

The Stellia is easier to drive though and you might like it on your gear more than the VC, but I am only speculating there.

The Atticus is a fun, warm thumpy sounding headphone with gobs of midbass. The Eikon is more neutrally tuned vs. Atticus and has better sub bass extension, but less slam vs. Atticus. While both are very nice sounding they cannot compete with the Verite closed.

While the entire ZMF line isnt particularly hard to drive their headphones do seem to sound their best via an OTL amp. That being said many ZMF owners use solid state amps and are quite happy with the combo.

If you're interested in one of ZMF's closed backs I'd suggest asking for opinions in various ZMF threads about how they sound thru your particular amp, which I have zero experience with.

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 32
I a/b the VC and Stellia, and while both are fantastic sounding headphones, the VC IMHO beats it rather handily. Both headphones use drivers made out of Beryllium, which is a metal. The benefit is a lightning fast transient speed.

The Stellia's driver is 100% Beryllium vs. VC which is 20% coated. The coated driver was actually more expensive to make vs. 100%. Their rationale for using a coated driver was a more natural sound, which I could clearly hear in my a/b listening. The Stellia has a metallic flavor to its sound, but to be honest I didnt notice it until I swapped over to the VC, then I was unable to un-hear it. My advice is to not a/b those two side by side.

The Stellia is easier to drive though and you might like it on your gear more than the VC, but I am only speculating there.

The Atticus is a fun, warm thumpy sounding headphone with gobs of midbass. The Eikon is more neutrally tuned vs. Atticus and has better sub bass extension, but less slam vs. Atticus. While both are very nice sounding they cannot compete with the Verite closed.

While the entire ZMF line isnt particularly hard to drive their headphones do seem to sound their best via an OTL amp. That being said many ZMF owners use solid state amps and are quite happy with the combo.

If you're interested in one of ZMF's closed backs I'd suggest asking for opinions in various ZMF threads about how they sound thru your particular amp, which I have zero experience with.

I am not surprised that many wouldn't know the prowess of the underrated highly transparent and clean sounding Topping A50s amplifier, with 7500 mW of balanced power at 32 Ohm it can literally rattle 32 Ohm drivers to pieces. So anything up to the range of 600 Ohm makes no sweat to this little monster.

Ok back to the topic, I am verily interested in checking out the Fostex TH900 and Verite now, it does indicate a very Etymotic sort of characteristics there by the way you say it. Thanks!

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 32
Ok back to the topic, I am verily interested in checking out the Fostex TH900 and Verite now,
@zach915m has mentioned previously that the damping factor in an amp plays a large role in how it will interact with the VC. Perhaps Zach will advise here, otherwise drop him a PM.

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 32
The Ether C Flow 1.1 is also worth an audition in this category.

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 32
No brainer. ZMF Verite Closed with a tube amp

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #14 of 32
The Ether C Flow 1.1 is also worth an audition in this category.
The most comfortable closed back headphones I have tried, more comfortable than many open backs, so definitely worth checking out if comfort is a priority to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back