1964 Ears
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #6,002 of 7,417
  Are you guys aware of any black friday promos or discounts for 1964? Wanting a bit lower price as I'm pulling the trigger on the V6 stage this week... 

Contact them about what they can do for you. I find that sometimes asking is all it takes. Just tell them you're very interested in the V6S model and you're wondering if there are any promotions going on for Black Friday or the holidays in general. I believe they gave someone 10% off just by asking.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #6,003 of 7,417

Contact them about what they can do for you. I find that sometimes asking is all it takes.

You know, that makes sense. These will be my first customs, so I guess I'm just not used to contacting real people when it comes to the company I'm buying from. Thanks! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #6,004 of 7,417
  You know, that makes sense. These will be my first customs, so I guess I'm just not used to contacting real people when it comes to the company I'm buying from. Thanks! 
biggrin.gif

Yep, it's definitely worth a shot. Worked for me with JH Audio, so it'll probably work for you with 1964ears.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #6,005 of 7,417
Ok. So, I live in Portland and decided to stop by and try out 1964EARS demo units today. I'm not confirming a Black Friday discount, but if I were you I'd definitely check in with 1964EARS Facebook, Twitter, etc. to see if there might be a BF discount :wink_face:

Here are some really rough listening notes:
V8 - great soundstage, warm/full, loads of bass when needed but not when uncalled for, smooth but detailed
V6S - great soundstage, neutral, good bass, detailed but not bright
Qi - good soundstage, a bit warm/full, lots of bass when needed but not when uncalled for, smooth high end
V3 - good soundstage, mid-focused but with good bass and treble, detailed and a bit bright (but not overwhelmingly so)

I got to sit and listen to the whole lineup for an hour without any hassles, testing several songs from different genres - black metal, classical, classical, electronic. Alex (their customer service rep) chatted with me on and off. Nobody tried to sell me on anything. Even with a good hour's worth of ear time, the universals were amazingly comfortable and isolating. I could hardly hear a thing, and I was in their office when they were engaging in impromptu meetings, taking phone calls, etc.

I was impressed the general neutrality of the entire lineup. Even the warm/bassy IEM didn't exhibit the "bass floor" I've experienced even with mid-tier IEM from well-know companies. The bass came out to play when needed but stayed out of the way when it wasn't called for.

$15 impressions in their shop!

Hardest thing is deciding which to go for!

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #6,006 of 7,417
Ok. So, I live in Portland and decided to stop by and try out 1964EARS demo units today. I'm not confirming a Black Friday discount, but if I were you I'd definitely check in with 1964EARS Facebook, Twitter, etc. to see if there might be a BF discount
wink_face.gif

V8 - great soundstage, warm/full, loads of bass when needed but not when uncalled for, smooth but detailed
Qi - good soundstage, a bit warm/full, lots of bass when needed but not when uncalled for, smooth high end
V3 - good soundstage, mid-focused but with good bass and treble, detailed and a bit bright (but not overwhelmingly so)

I got to sit and listen to the whole lineup for an hour without any hassles, testing several songs from different genres - black metal, classical, classical, electronic. Alex (their customer service rep) chatted with me on and off. Nobody tried to sell me on anything. Even with a good hour's worth of ear time, the universals were amazingly comfortable and isolating. I could hardly hear a thing, and I was in their office when they were engaging in impromptu meetings, taking phone calls, etc.

I was impressed the general neutrality of the entire lineup. Even the warm/bassy IEM didn't exhibit the "bass floor" I've experienced even with mid-tier IEM from well-know companies. The bass came out to play when needed but stayed out of the way when it wasn't called for.

$15 impressions in their shop!

Thanks for nice and detailed impressions.

BTW, have you ever auditioned V6, the prior model of V6s?

I am interested in V6 because it has relatively more high than V6s.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #6,007 of 7,417
Yes, I tried all of the lineup. I just made note of the ones I was interested in purchasing in the post up above.

V2 is more mid and treble focused. Bass isn't as deep or punchy as others. Soundstage also isn't as expansive. Not my cup of tea.

V6 wasn't as musical as the ones I previously mentioned. It was more of a reference monitor sound signature. If that's what you're after, you'll be happy. Personally, I'd find it too dry/sterile and possibly fatiguing for extended listening sessions.

One thing I forgot to mention above was how obvious it was that there was a jump in soundstage with V6S and V8. It put a smile on my face and made my bank account shed a tear or two :flushed::scream::cry:

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #6,008 of 7,417
  Thanks for nice and detailed impressions.

BTW, have you ever auditioned V6, the prior model of V6s?

I am interested in V6 because it has relatively more high than V6s.

and better mids!
Yes, I tried all of the lineup. I just made note of the ones I was interested in purchasing in the post up above.

V2 is more mid and treble focused. Bass isn't as deep or punchy as others. Soundstage also isn't as expansive. Not my cup of tea.

V6 wasn't as musical as the ones I previously mentioned. It was more of a reference monitor sound signature. If that's what you're after, you'll be happy. Personally, I'd find it too dry/sterile and possibly fatiguing for extended listening sessions.

One thing I forgot to mention above was how obvious it was that there was a jump in soundstage with V6S and V8. It put a smile on my face and made my bank account shed a tear or two :flushed::scream::cry:

I do agree, the V8 is better than the v6s in so many ways, except that its detail and clarity suffers just that small bit due to the bass. :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #6,009 of 7,417

Would you say one has bigger than the other? Seems to be divided opinion here about those two. 

Do your comments about bass still apply to the V8 to the full extent? I'm concerned about bleed into the mids and lack of clarity, and because I can't audition them I'm trying to get an understanding how much clarity they offer compared to the V6S (ie, will I be missing much). On the flip side of that, do you think the V6S offers 'enough' bass for average listening needs?
And have you ever heard the Sennheiser Ie*/IE80s by any incredibly lucky chance? Or the Earsonics SM64s for that matter? 

and better mids!
I do agree, the V8 is better than the v6s in so many ways, except that its detail and clarity suffers just that small bit due to the bass. :)

Haha, it's back to my original question with this - is there a way you can think of to quantify that statement? How much better? How much clarity loss? :D Sorry to be 'that guy', just desperate to get an understanding haha. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #6,010 of 7,417
Haha, it's back to my original question with this - is there a way you can think of to quantify that statement? How much better? How much clarity loss? :D Sorry to be 'that guy', just desperate to get an understanding haha. 

Nope I don't think I can though.

While I said that the V8 is "better", I like both. I used better for want of a better word, my bad.

All I really can say is that the V8 is more all-rounded for general listening as it is more fun.

When trying to say that the V8 losesin terms of clarity and detail, it is due to its bass, which as I first mentioned, is slightly boomy at times depending on the track you are listening to. So I would never, say that the V8 has poor clarity and detail, as it does have them. The V6S is more revealing, and brighter, while the V8 is slightly darker/muddier due to its booming bass.

I guess I would say the V8 is a "fun" iem for general listening, while the V6S could be considered the more "analytical" of the two!

ps. Sorry for the poor choice of words. That will still persist due to my limited dictionary of words and experience!

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,011 of 7,417
tmorterlaing: I wouldn't worry about getting enough bass out of V3, Qi, V6, V6S, or V8. They all had ample bass for the tracks I used.

CAVEAT:There was one electronic track with a lot of sub bass where they all struggled a bit, but that wasn't a surprise. I've only found one dynamic driver IEM that can really handle that song, and it has waaaay to much bass for any of the other music I listen to.

That one song aside, it's more personal taste than anything. I didn't perform extensive Eq, but my gut tells me that if I wanted a bit more or less bass I could Eq these successfully to fit my taste for an album, track, genre, etc. within reason. I personally didn't find the bass particularly boomy in any of these - just more or less quantity and different mid vs. sub quantity.

As far as being detailed, all were detailed but some were tuned brighter than others so there's more apparent detail with some. Again personal taste comes into play as far as warmer vs. brighter. I wouldn't call any of them dark, though, so don't worry about not getting details with these.

Again, to these ears all of these are good all-rounders. It's more a question of warmer vs. brighter. To be clear, I don't think any of these are overly warm or bright - just different takes on their house sound. If you're listening to more electronic or hip-hop, I'd end up going for Qi or V8. If you're listening to more rock or instrumental, I'd go for V3 or V6S.

As far as soundstage, V6S felt more expansive due to being a more neutral sound signature. V8 is warmer and doesn't feel quite as expansive. However, both felt more expansive and had better instrument separation and layering than the V3, Qi, and V6.

Are all these differences worth the extra $$$? Depends on your financial situation and bang for buck preference. I think what Alex the helpful customer service rep told me in an early email held true after listening to the lineup: V3 vs. V6S and Qi vs. V8 are pretty darn similar but you definitely get a step up with the higher end models. Is it 100% sound difference as the price jump might indicate? Nope, it's probably more like 25% to my ears. However, that 25% put a smile on my face :smile::thumbsup:.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #6,014 of 7,417
Had my heart (or ears?) set on the V6S...but unfortunately my wallet slapped some sense into me. Now its the V3 or Qi....

But then if theres a black friday sale! So many choices! 
blink.gif

The reviews of the Qi seem to be few and far between, is there anyone that can give me a good (not necessarily in-depth) comparison between those and the V3 or V6S? Something other than "it's warm, has good bass, but it's still detailed" (which seems to be all I can find about them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back