1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 5, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #6,841 of 9,124
Open it up? Does it sound closed or dark to you?

Just a bit, I don't mind them though. I'm happy with this sound and I think B1 will make more differences than the cable could. :)

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #6,842 of 9,124
(I'm not here to comment on the ongoing impedance war... :wink: though one day perhaps I will try to put together a post on how driver impedance curves, crossovers and their components, variable ESRs, output impedance, inductance, air resistance and load in multi-driver setups, and other variables can all contribute to the total concept of impedance and its effects on an audio system's response.)

... just dropping in to say we're almost ready to release a second apex module, the m15.

The apex m15 module features a combination of dual ambient ports (that are larger than the single hole in the m20) and modified internals to achieve -15dB isolation @ 350Hz (our standard measurement point) and an additional 4dB cut @ 20Hz as compared to the m20.  It works much like the B1 module to tame the bass of certain IEMs based on personal preference but is a better middle ground between bass attenuation and isolation.

Also, the m15 has a more linear attenuation curve at higher frequencies, allowing for some extra ambient bleed above 7kHz.  This presents a more natural attenuation at higher environmental volumes for those that are using the m15 with ear plugs or IEMs for hearing protection but still want a touch of higher frequency detail.

We will have some pairs with us at CanJam @ RMAF this weekend for anyone who's there and interested to try them out.

Thanks!

Haha. You guys started the impedance war with the comments awhile back about how the u12 is tuned for higher impedance sources. Those of us who thought we had the holy grail of iems now have some incentive to make them even better with impedance adapters and various modules. It seems like the experimentation will never stop! I'll look forward to your tutorial on all things impedance related in a future post. :thinking::rolling_eyes:

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #6,846 of 9,124

I'm thinking it is the tia that they have been mentioning on their website. . . 

On another note, I just got my AK100ii. . . made the mistake of plugging it in with my A6 before getting to class, just to make sure it was working. . . Let's just say I have no idea what the professor talked about the entire class. . . It really brings the A6 to another level in clarity, soundstage, and detail. . . Six hours later, I'm still going through music to hear details that I never knew were there. . . needless to say, I think my DX90 will be going on sale soon. . . Lol my brain is wondering how can it get any better than this?  If music is sounding like this now, how does it sound with the $3000 AK380? Sigh. . . this is too much. . . LOL 
blink.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #6,848 of 9,124

I'm thinking it is the tia that they have been mentioning on their website. . . 

On another note, I just got my AK100ii. . . made the mistake of plugging it in with my A6 before getting to class, just to make sure it was working. . . Let's just say I have no idea what the professor talked about the entire class. . . It really brings the A6 to another level in clarity, soundstage, and detail. . . Six hours later, I'm still going through music to hear details that I never knew were there. . . needless to say, I think my DX90 will be going on sale soon. . . Lol my brain is wondering how can it get any better than this?  If music is sounding like this now, how does it sound with the $3000 AK380? Sigh. . . this is too much. . . LOL 
blink.gif

Mojo is just as good as AK380 if not better IMO and won't cost you an arm and leg.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #6,849 of 9,124

A new (end) game starts tomorrow... :wink:

More details please.

Mojo is just as good as AK380 if not better IMO and won't cost you an arm and leg.

I'm connecting my ak100ii to MOJO via toslink and find it producing too warm a sound signature. Does anybody have a similar experience? I would prefer it to not add any more warmth.

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #6,851 of 9,124

I'm connecting my ak100ii to MOJO via toslink and find it producing too warm a sound signature. Does anybody have a similar experience? I would prefer it to not add any more warmth.

If you find Mojo too warm (never heard it, but people do refer to it as having a full body smooth detailed sound) and considering you are using ak100ii as a transport and need a support for an optical toslink, maybe try iBasso D14 dac/amp which has a more revealing brighter sig.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #6,853 of 9,124

If you find Mojo too warm (never heard it, but people do refer to it as having a full body smooth detailed sound) and considering you are using ak100ii as a transport and need a support for an optical toslink, maybe try iBasso D14 dac/amp which has a more revealing brighter sig.

Why would you need to still connect the MOJO to the AK100ii?  Aren't both excellent as stand alone items? Just wondering. . . 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #6,854 of 9,124

Why would you need to still connect the MOJO to the AK100ii?  Aren't both excellent as stand alone items? Just wondering. . . 
rolleyes.gif

I think we are getting a bit off topic here, per "64 Audio ADEL" thread, but in general different people prefer different sound signature.  What's "excellent for one" is not necessary for someone else, especially paired up with different earphones/headphones
wink.gif

In a very basic simplified summary, DAP has 3 sections: digital decoding of your files, D/A conversion of digital signal to analog, and amplifier section to boost and to add a character/color to your sound.  Some people prefer to use their own external amplifier, so you use DAP's Line Out which bypasses the final head-amp stage, using output of internal DAC.  Others have their own favorite DAC/amp combos and just need a digital transport to use as a source (from coax or optical output of your DAP).  Mojo is a popular DAC/amp combo which you can use with your smartphone, feeding it with digital decoded signal stream or from another DAP driving it with s/pdif signal (like optical output from AK DAPs).  Those who enjoy AK100ii as a "whole" all-in-one convenient package will be happy with it, while others who love the sound signature of Mojo will pair it up to "feed" the digital data.  If you want to stream from your favorite apps, use a phone at expense of draining the battery faster.  Otherwise use a DAP.  AK will be supporting TIDAL with all the upcoming updates so you can use it for streaming, but only when you are near wifi.  Another advantage, standalone DAP can support more formats without downsampling, unlike smartphones.  But the advantage of a smartphone is that you can stream Spotify (not supported by AK, at least not yet) and you are not tied up to wifi and can be anywhere on the go.  And so on...

Since i never had a chance to hear the Mojo, I can't say how it sounds, but will tell you from AK120ii experience, 100ii should be detailed, with a full body smooth sound, but not super resolving, or with lots of layering or micro-detail retrieval (relative to something like PAW Gold or Opus#2).  For some people it's perfectly fine, for others - they will pair it up with something like Mojo to scale up the sound quality.

Btw, I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence with this basic explanation because i know many people already know all of this stuff, but there are new guys lurking around who're still getting up to speed.  So perhaps some will benefit from this question and the answer.
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #6,855 of 9,124

rolleyes.gif

Not even close. The AK uses a very standard DAC chip, doesn't sound much better than my S7's output. Since I plug my AK120ii into either a Mojo or Hugo, the AK is just a glorified music storage device, it plays every music format under the sun (excluding 5.1, 6 channel type recordings), thats why I still use it to hold my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back