1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 7, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #6,511 of 9,124
Hello Brooko,

Nice work!

There should be more variation between your S1 and B1 measurements.  It's possible you have a "minus" S1 set and a "plus" B1 set which would bring them quite close together in performance.  The apex m20 modules are 100% tested and calibrated to be within 1dB of the 'perfect' S1 module and may serve as a good reference for how the S1 should perform.

Also, your closed MAM measurements don't look completely correct.  Try plugging the ambient hole on an S1 module and comparing that to the closed MAM measurement, they should be nearly identical.  It might be possible that your MAM is not sealing all the way.

We were experimenting with some resistor values in combination with a U12 and Chord Mojo... even at 10 ohms you can see a significant change in frequency response with minimal amplitude losses.  Figure that adding 20 ohms of resistance to each channel basically brings the Mojo output impedance equal to the kind of equipment we tuned the A12/U12 with...

- Chris

Judging from Paul's excellent work it looks like the M20 Apex is exactly the same as the closed MAM (knob all the way out), essentially meaning no Adel effect.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #6,512 of 9,124
Judging from Paul's excellent work it looks like the M20 Apex is exactly the same as the closed MAM (knob all the way out), essentially meaning no Adel effect.

Ike,

My previous post suggests that Brooko's MAM is not fully sealing and his S1 module is not to spec, either, so making that kind of determination from his test results is not really valid.  I'm basing this on having tested hundreds of modules myself and seeing the results of literally thousands of modules... S1, B1, plus and minus values, odd values, MAMs, apex development and testing...

Again, every single apex m20 module is tested and calibrated to be within 1dB of the ideal S1 module curve...

- Chris

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #6,513 of 9,124
1/4 turn from fully open (knob all the way in) is also my go to setting although I think the anatomy tuned (occulsion affect tuned) MAM is my favorite but only when I'm in a mood for fiddling. Do you tune it with the hum method as well or have you found a better way to tune it for anatomy?

Ike - I still use the hum method.  Once I got it worked out, it became pretty easy to tune that way.

Ike,

My previous post suggests that Brooko's MAM is not fully sealing and his S1 module is not to spec, either, so making that kind of determination from his test results is not really valid.  I'm basing this on having tested hundreds of modules myself and seeing the results of literally thousands of modules... S1, B1, plus and minus values, odd values, MAMs, apex development and testing...

Again, every single apex m20 module is tested and calibrated to be within 1dB of the ideal S1 module curve...

- Chris

As Chris said (and I stated when I took the measurements - I'm pretty sure my S1 isn't quite to spec.  It's missing some mid and sub-bass and is closer to the B1 than it should be.  I'm not worried about my particular MAM either - as I never use it fully closed.

My go to nowadays with the U6 is usually the G1 or B1

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #6,514 of 9,124
Would like to ask for earphone tip that is more comfort than comply foam but gives sound like comply foam (juicy thick sound)

I have tried spinfit and UE tip, it is comfort but not having sound signature I like. Any recommendation? <3

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #6,515 of 9,124
Would like to ask for earphone tip that is more comfort than comply foam but gives sound like comply foam (juicy thick sound)

I have tried spinfit and UE tip, it is comfort but not having sound signature I like. Any recommendation? <3

Hybrid tip (foam inner with silicone outer) could be an option. Sony or kombi

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #6,516 of 9,124
  I hate foam tips so I guess there will be a lot of tip rolling in my future.  I usually use the largest tips available with an IEM that I choose.  Any suggestions that might work for me?:

Same here:

Some of my recent purchases:

RHA Double Flange or Dual Density Large
SONY EP-EX11- These come in Large and Extra large- but I had to get from Japan on Ebay.

Nice thing about both tips is that the stems are long enough to go to base of stem on U12. So, neither should be left in your ears (I'm looking at you spinfit)

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #6,517 of 9,124

Same here:

SONY EP-EX11- These come in Large and Extra large- but I had to get from Japan on Ebay.

Nice thing about both tips is that the stems are long enough to go to base of stem on U12. So, neither should be left in your ears (I'm looking at you spinfit)

Excellent.  Thanks.  I will see which I can find. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #6,520 of 9,124

Thanks Chris

I suspect my S1 isn't quite right - there should be more bass between 20-100 Hz for starters.  I'm not too concerned about it though - I never use the S1.

And agree on the MAM - I sometimes wonder if the membrane can relax over time.  Again though - I never use it closed.  Most of the time it sits about 0.25 turns from fully open.

The impedance changes were fun to try - worked quite well with your Apex too.  If you could build some added resistance into a secondary cable - I'm serious when I suggested it would be a good aftermarket revenue stream.  Worth looking at IMO.

And as much as I like the U10 - I'm glad I went with the U6 now.  The U6 mid-range is definitely more to my liking.

1/4 turn from fully open (knob all the way in) is also my go to setting although I think the anatomy tuned (occulsion affect tuned) MAM is my favorite but only when I'm in a mood for fiddling. Do you tune it with the hum method as well or have you found a better way to tune it for anatomy?

1/4 turn backwards from fully-open for me too. Not necessarily because it's the best setting, but because it sounds reasonably good without too much fiddling. The main drawback of the MAMs for me is the fiddling. One of the reasons I sold my JH Roxannes was because they had adjustable bass control - I couldn't leave the damned thing alone!

Also, I've come to the conclusion that I much prefer my A6 over my A12. The A6 seems more alive and is easier to get a good sound from. I think the A12 is too bassy, and only sounds good when I manage to find a spot with the MAMs after 20 minutes fiddling.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #6,522 of 9,124

Same here:

Excellent.  Thanks.  I will see which I can find. 

People seem to like the JVC spiral dots. You can check them out too.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #6,523 of 9,124
Since there are a number of new soon to be U series owners here due to the Summer Sale and Massdrop, I thought I would mention my favorites tips for the U series. I read about them in a thread on Head-Fi (don't recall if it was this one or another one) and wish I could give a shout out to whoever first mentioned them. They are by Ortofon and can be found at B&H in the US.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038121-REG/ortofon_e_q5_silicon_eartips_silicone_eartip_set_for.html

They fit the U series tube perfectly without obstructing the bores at all. The material is quite soft not only for the flange, but also for the sleeve that goes on the tube. Since the tubes are already pretty large, I find this helps as other tips I have tried are not nearly as comfortable due to the sleeve material.

I can't say I have 100% comfort with the U series due to the large tube, but these are the best I have found so far after fairly extensive "tip rolling."

I also found the Comply TS-200's to be pretty good, but found they made my ears itch with longer listening sessions. If anyone knows of a solution for that I'd love to know it. It might just be a matter of breaking my ears in.

Sound with the Ortofons and my U6's with MAMs is excellent.

I posted the above before but since there are some recent inquiries about tips I will quote it again. I really like these tips for the Universals. They seem like they were made for them. Anyone else using them?

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #6,524 of 9,124
I posted the above before but since there are some recent inquiries about tips I will quote it again. I really like these tips for the Universals. They seem like they were made for them. Anyone else using them?

I bought the 5-pair pack when they dropped in Massdrop a few months ago, and I can say this Ortofon tips is the best tips for me personally. I used it on my Nova and TWF41, and will be the first one I tried when my U12 arrives. :D

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #6,525 of 9,124
+1 for the Spiral Dots. The only problem with it though was, it did not fit tight on the nozzle and would slip off sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back