1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 6, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #6,496 of 9,124

The bubble needs to be inflated, and as I recall a tiny air tube is required (built into the cable). Unfortunately, it appears all the earlier youtube postings have been made private (no longer viewable), so I can't really point you to any specific sources for information.

Hopefully the development team is able to leverage the vent from pneumatic pressures to inflate the bubble, that could do away with the tiny air tube as part of the cable. That'll decouple the need for a special cable, allowing users usage of cables from their favorite cable fabricators.

The bubble inflates off the sound pressure, right now on the prototypes we bring to shows we use a syringe (hence needing the air line). There was a year long legal battle with company that tried to claim the pump as their own, so we no longer show it at demos.

sorry still not understand...

where is bubble then? do you mean what inside module?

then how is it relate with changing cable?

The bubble is a stand alone unit. You no longer need a hard acrylic shell, rather than that shell it's an inflated membrane that inflates along the users ear canals. This delivers the sound via the balanced armatures inside, as well as through the membrane (think how you're able to still hear sounds when you plug up your ears while you're in front of a speaker, it travels through the flesh).

Apologies you may not be aware if you have joined this thread in the recent two - three months.

The ADEL modules discussed here are passive modules (S1, G1, B1, MAM, and APEX), what Asius is doing which is relevant to the 64 Audio U-Series (subsequently any universal fit IEMs) is the Active ADELS (a.k.a Bubbles). It is essentially similar to your regular tips, but this is inflatable.

Perhaps this other thread may help you understand the technology,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/800882/adel-technology-discussion-thread-update-march-27-2016-please-read-2nd-post-of-the-thread/210#post_12742282

The hybrid tips are simply that, an inflatable tip. They are not the full on bubble. They do sound really good though and super comfortable. I've never heard an IEM deliver bottom end even close to what is possible with the hybrid tips.

I wonder if the bubble tech is meant for audiophiles or meant for the hearing impaired, considering most of the videos on that tech was meant to help people who have some form of hearing impairment to regain their hearing...

In any case it may still be far away from being released so i think you should be save to invest in a cable and enjoy it for sometime before feeling the need to upgrade to another totl iem.

The bubble is a hearing aid that sounds as good as an in-ear monitor. Hearing aids use the same armatures as IEMs, but generally sound horrible. Nobody uses a hearing aid because they like the way they sound, it's simply better than not hearing. Musicians that rountinely use hearing aids in every day life, do not use them on stage.

So the bubble ticks all the boxes. It works for audiophiles AND those who are hearing impaired. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #6,498 of 9,124

Hello Brooko,

Nice work!

There should be more variation between your S1 and B1 measurements.  It's possible you have a "minus" S1 set and a "plus" B1 set which would bring them quite close together in performance.  The apex m20 modules are 100% tested and calibrated to be within 1dB of the 'perfect' S1 module and may serve as a good reference for how the S1 should perform.

Also, your closed MAM measurements don't look completely correct.  Try plugging the ambient hole on an S1 module and comparing that to the closed MAM measurement, they should be nearly identical.  It might be possible that your MAM is not sealing all the way.

We were experimenting with some resistor values in combination with a U12 and Chord Mojo... even at 10 ohms you can see a significant change in frequency response with minimal amplitude losses.  Figure that adding 20 ohms of resistance to each channel basically brings the Mojo output impedance equal to the kind of equipment we tuned the A12/U12 with...

- Chris

Thanks Chris

I suspect my S1 isn't quite right - there should be more bass between 20-100 Hz for starters.  I'm not too concerned about it though - I never use the S1.

And agree on the MAM - I sometimes wonder if the membrane can relax over time.  Again though - I never use it closed.  Most of the time it sits about 0.25 turns from fully open.

The impedance changes were fun to try - worked quite well with your Apex too.  If you could build some added resistance into a secondary cable - I'm serious when I suggested it would be a good aftermarket revenue stream.  Worth looking at IMO.

And as much as I like the U10 - I'm glad I went with the U6 now.  The U6 mid-range is definitely more to my liking.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #6,499 of 9,124
Yeah, I've seen it remarked the A/U8 is the best for those who play bass guitar or drums on stage.

However, I would suggest going custom again. Just because you don't need the hassle of a less than perfect fit while going nuts on the drum set. Custom molds were invented for this purpose.

By all accounts, 64 Audio is a wonderful company that will work very closely with you to make sure your needs are met. I would trust them to make a splendid CIEM.

Thanks for the advice. My genetics are just too messed up to get molded ones to fit right. I lost count of the times I sent them in. Had them remolded 3x. When I have a CIEM in, when I open and close my mouth the sound changes because of pressure pulling and pushing on my ear/brain. When I got them back last time they didn't seal and I took matters into my own hands. I went to a special fx store here in LA and got some silicone to dip them in. Silicone was too fragile. The guy said I could thin it out with zippo lighter fluid (Naphtha). So rather than buy thicker stuff from them, I saved the trip to NOHO went to Home Depot, got food grade silicone that is used for fish tank seals and mixed it up with a bit of lighter fluid. Got it thin enough, plugged the holes with a toothpick I cut and dipped them. Lo and behold, it worked. That's when I finally realized that my problem was genetics. They fit nice but I still had the problems because of the deep fit. It was like hearing a conch shell pulled back and forth from my ear as my head moved/opening and closing my mouth. BTW, I did both open, closed and while talking molds. Still no dice. I recently got the U5's and having a seal just outside my ear canal was the fix. I bought a set of U8's from bavinck here and I think they will give me the bass I'm looking for when I play. The U5's are "too real."
Thought some might enjoy my journey and how I solved my issues.

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #6,500 of 9,124
This makes me happy. I love westone star tips on my w40 and se846. Just ordered u12 and was worried I'd need to find another tip. Thanks

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #6,501 of 9,124

The hybrid tips are simply that, an inflatable tip. They are not the full on bubble. They do sound really good though and super comfortable. I've never heard an IEM deliver bottom end even close to what is possible with the hybrid tips.

So when can we expect the hybrid tips to go on sale?

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #6,502 of 9,124
This makes me happy. I love westone star tips on my w40 and se846. Just ordered u12 and was worried I'd need to find another tip. Thanks

Be careful,  It is a very tight squeeze.  The kind where you have to work it so hard, the u12 could pop out of your hand and get damaged.  A lot of patience to put the star westones on the u12

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #6,503 of 9,124
I hate foam tips so I guess there will be a lot of tip rolling in my future.  I usually use the largest tips available with an IEM that I choose.  Any suggestions that might work for me?:

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #6,505 of 9,124
Sep 7, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #6,506 of 9,124

Angie's and U12 complement each other really well.  Yes, you can get the U12's to sit flush in your ear, depending on the ear tips.
With the westone star tips, I can have them ON the entire work day, without any fatigue.

So the Westone star tips fit in the U12? I've read good things about these tips.

Yes, Sir. They might be a tight fit, if they're new. Mine were on Angie's (and SE846) before, so they just slid in without issues.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #6,508 of 9,124
Either I can't hear the difference or a I don't know how to adjust the MAMs.

Both extreme closed/open the s1 hits harder.  With the settings at the floppiest, the bass is at it's floppiest.

Gonna give it a couple more days, but seems like the MAMs are not for bassheads.  You can do more damage by eqing.

also, it doesn't open the stage like I would like it to.

Make sure you're giving your ear several minutes to adjust to a new setting or you may not hear a difference. Also, the strongest bass is all the way closed and all the way open, the middle is the weakest

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #6,509 of 9,124
Hello Brooko,

Nice work!

There should be more variation between your S1 and B1 measurements.  It's possible you have a "minus" S1 set and a "plus" B1 set which would bring them quite close together in performance.  The apex m20 modules are 100% tested and calibrated to be within 1dB of the 'perfect' S1 module and may serve as a good reference for how the S1 should perform.

Also, your closed MAM measurements don't look completely correct.  Try plugging the ambient hole on an S1 module and comparing that to the closed MAM measurement, they should be nearly identical.  It might be possible that your MAM is not sealing all the way.

We were experimenting with some resistor values in combination with a U12 and Chord Mojo... even at 10 ohms you can see a significant change in frequency response with minimal amplitude losses.  Figure that adding 20 ohms of resistance to each channel basically brings the Mojo output impedance equal to the kind of equipment we tuned the A12/U12 with...

- Chris

Was the equipment used to tune A/U12 high or low impedance and can we expect a product/service to address the impedance issues everyone has been bringing up?

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #6,510 of 9,124
Thanks Chris

I suspect my S1 isn't quite right - there should be more bass between 20-100 Hz for starters.  I'm not too concerned about it though - I never use the S1.

And agree on the MAM - I sometimes wonder if the membrane can relax over time.  Again though - I never use it closed.  Most of the time it sits about 0.25 turns from fully open.

The impedance changes were fun to try - worked quite well with your Apex too.  If you could build some added resistance into a secondary cable - I'm serious when I suggested it would be a good aftermarket revenue stream.  Worth looking at IMO.

And as much as I like the U10 - I'm glad I went with the U6 now.  The U6 mid-range is definitely more to my liking.

1/4 turn from fully open (knob all the way in) is also my go to setting although I think the anatomy tuned (occulsion affect tuned) MAM is my favorite but only when I'm in a mood for fiddling. Do you tune it with the hum method as well or have you found a better way to tune it for anatomy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back