100 Greatest Albums (Time Magazine)
Nov 14, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 72
Interesting list. Not that it matters, but I've got 60 of those albulms. Guess that means I have good taste? Or maybe I just follow the crowd. Hard to say.

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 72
Oh my, another all-time list. These days, every magazine seems to publish an all-time list every (other) year. And you would think that if these albums were so "classic", things won't change that much.

Personally, I think compilations / anthologies shouldn't count. And what does this say for the new millennium if 5 out of 10 entries (according to this list) under the new decade are compilations of music by deceased musicians?

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
Oh my, another all-time list. These days, every magazine seems to publish an all-time list every (other) year. And you would think that if these albums were so "classic", things won't change that much.

Personally, I think compilations / anthologies shouldn't count. And what does this say for the new millennium if 5 out of 10 entries (according to this list) under the new decade are compilations of deceased musicians?

Are you saying that Elvis is dead?

Seriously, that is about the worst "All Time" list I have ever seen. The 1970's leaves out Dylan's "Blood On The Tracks" and there is way too much hip-hop and rap. Plus where are modern classical and world music? Where are Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbinson and the rest of rock 'n roll's founding fathers? Where are the females? Linda Ronstadt, Joan Baez, etc.? The British Invasion bands, like the Kinks, the Move, etc.?

Very poor indeed. Just about worthless. Not that the items on the list aren't good but they are not the best choice for inclusion on such a list, IMHO.

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 72
Wow, you have to go back to the 1950s to get a #1 album by someone with actual talent. (flame suit on)

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 72
Very american list, although not in any way surprising. I second the fact compilations/anthologies should not be included, with the exception of artists where it's their only release (Robert Johnson). Looks like great music wasn't recorded before 1954.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 72
There are some things on there that I'm a little surprised about but some things that I would say are definitely on there that's missing (and I'd be interested to see what reasoning they actually could come up with as to why Pink Floyd shouldn't be on there)

But no list like this is ever going to be agreed upon by everyone and I think these things show/tell you more about the person/people who came up with them rather then anything else.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsansite
Very american list, although not in any way surprising. I second the fact compilations/anthologies should not be included, with the exception of artists where it's their only release (Robert Johnson). Looks like great music wasn't recorded before 1954.

Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Billie Holiday, Louie Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Carter, Bessie Smith and many others recorded a lot of their best work before 1954 and apparently it was never made into a convenient compilation like Robert Johnson's was so that it could be included on the list, oh well.

I'm almost as bad as Time Magazine is since in my last post I forgot to mention that the list forgot to mention Motown!!!

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 72
Pretty pathetic list indeed... Doesn't include any Classical whatsoever either.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline
Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Billie Holiday, Louie Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Carter, Bessie Smith and many others recorded a lot of their best work before 1954 and apparently it was never made into a convenient compilation like Robert Johnson's was so that it could be included on the list, oh well.

I hope you realise I was being sarcastic with my last comment.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 72
Wow. I hate these kinds of lists to begin with, as if there are 100 absolute "best" albums of the countless records to appear since recorded sound came to prominence. But even by the standards of these asinine lists, this one has got to be by far the worst I've ever seen.

-Jay

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 72
This list is perfect. If you think that the greatness of albums is dictated solely on the amount of people who buy them. Kanye West? Seriously? And if we're going to include the compilations as great albums, then I think my copy (10 disc compilation) of Beethoven's piano concertos should be included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back