100 Greatest Albums (Time Magazine)
Nov 14, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #16 of 72
nobody cares about Time magazine when it comes to music anyway..actually are there still any reputable music magazines around? i know rolling stone is crap now...

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19
This list is perfect. If you think that the greatness of albums is dictated solely on the amount of people who buy them. Kanye West? Seriously? And if we're going to include the compilations as great albums, then I think my copy (10 disc compilation) of Beethoven's piano concertos should be included.

If they were doing a list on how many sales the album got to equate to "best" then where's Bat Out Of Hell? Surely with all the sales that album has made it should show up somewhere. Or wouldn't REM's Automatic For The People be included instead of the Out Of Time album?

I'd like to see what criteria they used for compiling the list they came up with - maybe just throwing darts at a list?

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #19 of 72
I only have four - the ones by:

Paul Simon

Carole King

Led Zeppelin

Fleetwood Mac

They are OK.

I must have 500 or more CDs.

Does this mean I have bad tastes?

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #20 of 72
Well if you go by sales, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms should be top of the list. That really was the most sold record ever.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffles
Well if you go by sales, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms should be top of the list. That really was the most sold record ever.

I thought the most sold record ever was between The Eagles - Greatest Hits and Micheal Jackson - Thriller?

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 72
Yep, looks like I was wrong. According to Wikipedia, it was Michael Jackson - Thriller. Weird... I distinctly remember hearing that about Brothers in Arms. Still, what does it matter anyway?

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I only have four - the ones by:

Paul Simon

Carole King

Led Zeppelin

Fleetwood Mac

They are OK.

I must have 500 or more CDs.

Does this mean I have bad tastes?

I think it means you have good taste

[size=xx-small]No offense Wmcmanus[/size]

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #25 of 72
I have 46 albums on that list. But that means nothing as I have over 1200 albums. They don't list the criteria used to arrive at these rediculous assertations (do they? I didn't care enough to search for any...). I think any list like this should be a survey asking a random group of 200,000 people of different ages, races, sexes (and so on) of their 10 fav. albums and then tallying all the results. Until this actually happens, I call BS on any other list.

Side note, music is so freaking diverse that limiting any "list" to 100 is doing music itself a disservice.

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs
I have 46 albums on that list. But that means nothing as I have over 1200 albums. They don't list the criteria used to arrive at these rediculous assertations (do they? I didn't care enough to search for any...). I think any list like this should be a survey asking a random group of 200,000 people of different ages, races, sexes (and so on) of their 10 fav. albums and then tallying all the results. Until this actually happens, I call BS on any other list.

Side note, music is so freaking diverse that limiting any "list" to 100 is doing music itself a disservice.

I agree. The only other way to do this would be by sales rank, and that would be the most popular albums of all time. It is impossible to say which are the greatest.

Thumbs down, Time.

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #27 of 72
I disagree with a few on there, and would definately add in a few more Jazz albums, but I'm very glad to see The VU and Nico made it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I disagree with a few on there, and would definately add in a few more Jazz albums, but I'm very glad to see The VU and Nico made it
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, they definitely deserved it. They certainly were incredibly influential, even if I think White Light/White Heat was more radical.

The Who got in there, which is good as well, although I would like a good reason as to why Pink Floyd didn't get in there.

Or The Smiths, they were pretty influential.

And as far as pioneering music goes, that list needs way more electronica.

And what about Joy Divison/New Order?

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I think it means you have good taste

I have none of them
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back