$100-$300 Headphones Review: ATH-M50 vs ATH-AD700 vs HD598 vs SRH940 vs DT1350 vs V6 vs Modded V6 vs Bose OE (Updated 6/19/13)
Jun 15, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #16 of 57
Quote:
Glad people are now seeing the hype (m50)

ATH-M50
Price: Around $120
Comfort: Rather poor. It gets hot and sweaty after about 20-40 mins. (good all-rounder? haha)
Amping: Not needed, but it helps. Leckertons are good with them.
Sound: 6
Bass: 7 (boomy at times)
Mid:3
High:6
Soundstage: 0.05
Clarity: 7 (studio monitor)
Detail: 7.5 (studio monitor)
Bass is very well extended and boomy, but mid range is very recessed , and sounds bit artificial. Highs are sparkly and decently extended. Clarity and detail is superb for it's price (if its between $80 - 100)

That might be bit harsh. I mean, sure, they are overhyped. People compare them to $300 hps! But they do have great clarity and detail.
Quote:
Actually, there's no proof of hype here. In kimvictor's review, the M50 performed well in terms of price/performance value. It is a good all arounder for it's price.

Indeed. They are solid, but there definitely some over hype on head-fi. Good all rounder.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #17 of 57
Indeed. They are solid, but there definitely some over hype on head-fi. Good all rounder.

I would describe it more as over recommended instead of over hyped. They definitely tend to get recommended proportionately more than other headphones at their price point because so many people have them, but people don't usually over hype their performance (not like some of the FOTMs lol). There is a reason that they remain on Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:
I would describe it more as over recommended instead of over hyped. They definitely tend to get recommended proportionately more than other headphones at their price point because so many people have them, but people don't usually over hype their performance (not like some of the FOTMs lol). There is a reason that they remain on Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed.

You are right. Over recommended is the term. Thanks for the clarification!

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #23 of 57
I miss a friend of mine. When he and I went to the same school, I could always persuade him to buy a new pair of hp. He wasn't a dead serious audiophile, but was as rich as hell. I could always ask him if I could borrow his hps. He even bought couple hps off of me so I could fund for an amp. Well, just feeling a bit nostalgic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back