「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 15, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #105,031 of 177,744
I asked tom and feel like asking you also tilpo.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/sam-harris-vs-dan-dennett-on-free-will/

Thoughts mate?

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #105,032 of 177,744
Interested in getting either of these ATs:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/44d753a585763c61/index.html

Yes, this is a sports IEM, I'm aware of that. Mostly I'm in one of those phases where I want to go jogging but don't want to wet any of my other IEMs with sweat. It's cheapish too.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/a7b44679edb6aba6/index.html

Different mounting, and that's why it's still intriguing.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/14c1949f525a5460/index.html

Now this is interestingly intriguing. Not rated for "exercise" though. And the latter two have some "washable" rating on it, whereas this is, from the looks of it, as waterproof as most normal IEMs, which is close to crap. :p

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/191cb86fa7a0d0e2/index.html#BVQAWidgetID

Lastly, this is interesting in a whole other way. It says "hybrid" but it's more in the sense of of EarPods "hybrid" than DD + BA. I find that the Earpods is excellent at being a good all rounder if you don't want something jammed into your ear canals, and seeing this makes me happy. Besides, this could be a better jogging IEMs since it's not IEMs and thus I can at least here the car that's going to squash me coming. But I figure it might be as water resistant as normal IEMs.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #105,033 of 177,744
Are you going to get into another course related to medicine/biology? Or are you permanently going to join the workforce (which seems like a real bad idea to me, to be honest).

Hmmm I would like to but I kind of can't. I have a special high school diploma that only allows me to study things like economics, CS and stuff like that. Everything else is just not legally possible.
I'm still looking for something medicine-ish that I can apply for. Found one or two things here and there but nothing really convincing.

So far I applied for two really well paid jobs.
One is a higher up position in the administration of a very big hospital here (the one right next to my university :p) and the other one is as a civil servant with an academic degree or whatever it is called. Its an integrated degree kind of thing.
The job in the hospital would let me earn around €900 during my first year and the civil servant one around €1200.
Nothing to sneeze at :p

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #105,034 of 177,744
I asked tom and feel like asking you also tilpo.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/sam-harris-vs-dan-dennett-on-free-will/

Thoughts mate?

Won't read the actual papers they refer to because of time and lack of real interest (I have a already formed a strong opinion about this).

I'm definitely a determinist, but more fundamentally, I also believe in the inaccessibility of knowledge. An abstract principle that is motivated partially by results of Godel and axiomatic mathematics, Wittgenstein and quantum physics.
I believe all propositions have a definite truth value, but this truth value may not always be determined.
And with that I don't just mean that we don't have the scientific tools to do so -- I mean that at a completely fundamental level it is completely impossible to do so. Our reality is some strict subset of all true propositions and there is no logical/fundamental/physical way to extent in any way outside of this subset. We simply cannot describe what is outside of the bounds of our reality -- and quite possibly many metaphysical questions may have a truth value but it simply lies outside of our reality.

This took some time for me to build up and accept, but when I finally understood this somewhere between 6 to 12 months ago I feel all metaphysical issues have been completely resolved. An answer simply doesn't exist to many issues, and whether or not an issue has a certain truth value is independent of our reality. This principle is extremely effective in solving a wide range of philosophical problem by simply rejecting the importance of the question itself due to it being fundamentally impossible to answer.

Furthermore, as I said, I'm a determinist. I'm also completely against the view that humans are in some way special. I believe we're just a bag of atoms in a physical configuration that leads to what we call life. This notion is perfectly compatible with everything we know from science. But it just leaves one single issue as most people know.
What about free will? I believe there is no such thing. But then what about the feeling of consciousness an individual has? I most certainly feel like I have consciousness and free will.

And this is where the fundamental issue creeps in, with my following answer: this is fundamentally inexplicable.
We cannot find out or understand the explanation for this phenomenon simply because it lies beyond our reality.

An extremely unsatisfying answer when I first thought of it. But I truly believe that this is the only answer to the issue.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #105,035 of 177,744
I'm working as a teaching assistant at my university for physics labs.

Just graded two experiment proposals.
Damn this stuff is mediocre. Makes me wonder if I were that bad a year ago, or if this stuff is really as horribly vague and incomplete as I think.

I do finally understand the pains of my high school physics teacher whenever he handed back graded lab work.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #105,036 of 177,744
  But seriously, I can't just 'iron' it can I? The material....doesn't seem like the kind that can.

Hehe, 'Made in China'

You might be able to steam clean it using those steam cleaners that can also steam clean clothes and stuff.

Why couldn't you iron it? Iono, consult your mom on that one. 
tongue.gif

With enough steam from the iron, I think you can.

Good call with that your mom reference!

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #105,037 of 177,744

Damn this stuff is mediocre. Makes me wonder if I were that bad a year ago, or if this stuff is really as horribly vague and incomplete as I think.

I do finally understand the pains of my high school physics teacher whenever he handed back graded lab work.

well, a lot of the time students just really don't care.  It's one of those classes you have to take even though its not your major and such.  

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #105,038 of 177,744
well, a lot of the time students just really don't care.  It's one of those classes you have to take even though its not your major and such.  

No, it's only physics students taking the class, and usually they're actually quite enthusiastic. They just don't know how to write a proper research proposal at all. Which is of course not surprising, given the fact that this should be their second time or so.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #105,039 of 177,744
No, it's only physics students taking the class, and usually they're actually quite enthusiastic. They just don't know how to write a proper research proposal at all. Which is of course not surprising, given the fact that this should be their second time or so.

well. they'll learn quick with a good teacher then.  
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #105,041 of 177,744
  0,003 s. o_O

Incredible, right?

Lucky Star is even more nothing than Joshiraku and Nichijou.
Remarkable.
Sometimes I'm not even sure if they are trying to be funny or just....talk.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #105,043 of 177,744

Nice! Over here, only post-grad students can work as TAs....
and we certainly cannot propose our own research topics until our final year projects... even then, it's not compulsory to choose our own topics.
One of the reason why my school sucks in science and engineering.... Teaching is very systematic.

0,003 s. o_O

What are we talking about?

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #105,044 of 177,744
Nice! Over here, only post-grad students can work as TAs....
and we certainly cannot propose our own research topics until our final year projects... even then, it's not compulsory to choose our own topics.
One of the reason why my school sucks in science and engineering.... Teaching is very systematic.

Here you just need 60 ECTs (~42 credits). You get a higher wage if a) you have more than 84 credits, and b) if you're a grad student.
And it's just for physics lab work. Students are assigned a some materials and they have to come up with an experiment. The research proposals are mainly formal things as practice for when it is actually important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back