「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #93,768 of 177,744
  also, why do people use vim when it seems easier to use any other GUI editors??? (like besides acting like a bad-arse....)

Never used it myself, but wasn't it heavily keyboard-based? Perhaps they just like the workflow and the speed of it. Kinda same with Blender, I guess. As a 3DS MAX person, I couldn't get used to it, but it's created around keyboard shortcuts and I know people that swear by it.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #93,771 of 177,744
  @ CS people
is there any reason why Telnet is still in use when there's SSH?
also, why do people use vim when it seems easier to use any other GUI editors??? (like besides acting like a bad-arse....)

Most unix-like systems will have Telnet by default (some will not have SSH believe it or not).
Also, home networks and embedded systems where the connection is localized and not towards the whole web, telnet is a simple and easy solution.

The last part is, well no offense (perhaps a bit intended) - it sounds like something coming from a person who's never used vim before.

On the day-to-day front, it cuts out repetitive tasks: like moving around the text in the conventional way, it can jump around to wherever I need without ever leaving the keyboard, searching and replacing text can be so specific, you'll wonder why people do things the way they do.

On the programming front, it's insanely powerful. It can do IDE stuff like crazy, parse directories/files with the built-in stuff, or if you really need to, regex, comparing diffs, syntax highlighting customization is unparalleled, you think that IDEs. LaTeX-suite has editing power, guess where the concepts came from. I can do my stuff in half the time with all of the shortcuts (yes, you can have pdf-preview, all the niceties of TexMaker or whatever that you're using, and have it in a GUI).

But it's not merely limited to programming use - for regular files, it's simply one of the faster and more efficient ways to edit, the fanciness can get out of the way. Half of these posts are typed in vim. Of course, there's a learning curve. Quite honestly, I find acme to be even harder to learn, since that's a real paradigm shift, everything about it.

It's such a braindead mentality when you have people asking why we use this schiit even though it doesn't have "shiny colors" (it can, text colors can be changed to whatever the heck you want) or "mouse support" (of course it does, gpm, visual mode, the GUI version). Yes, there's a GUI version - you compile in the support or use a package that has it compiled in. Actually, most distros have vim with GUI installed right from the start, guess that's a no-go on OS X since it doesn't bundle gtk by default.

Three more things that gets it going - it's on most if not nearly all *nix systems, portable, so you eventually learn it, this breaks some common ground since there's always exposure to it. Plus, the fact that so much software nowadays has a vi mode included (Sublime Text's vintage mode is essentially vi mode), that's just a testament to its efficiency. Last thing - it's extendable to do pretty much anything you will ever think of needing text-wise. For even more, that's emacs realm.

The thing is, use it for more than a day. It might not be for you specifically, but you can't really deny the power that it offers. It'll become very apparent once you learn beyond the surface (heck, vimtutor - it has a tutor built right in, interactive and all!)

Something more visually representative - http://www.viemu.com/a-why-vi-vim.html

Think wraps it up the best.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #93,772 of 177,744
Political Science(US govt) examn in one hour. Wish me luck guys.
wink.gif

Freedom missles away!
biggrin.gif

Lol! Good luck!

I'm having an informatics quiz in a few minutes as well.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #93,773 of 177,744
@HanaIro

Nice art and rather touching. Would have preferred it to be a little longer so the last 10 mins or so would have been more flushed out but either way, good movie.

IMO, the Mom's such a child. :p

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #93,775 of 177,744
Wait, there's an iOS port of KS? What's hanako?
I'll just install gridlock sometime. Problem solved xD

Nah no port to iOS as far I know, I was talking about the port to Android. Which works surprisingly well. I played the Hanako route on Pc and the rest on Android. Oh yeah, Hanako is one of the girls in KS.

What's gridlock...? Yet to jailbreak my iTouch after my restore, and I might not since I really don't need it anymore.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #93,776 of 177,744
@HanaIro

Nice art and rather touching. Would have preferred it to be a little longer so the last 10 mins or so would have been more flushed out but either way, good movie.

Yet to watch the second season or the movie. I started because of the OP and ED, lol. I just haven't gotten around to the rest.

Head-fi needs an app for iOS and Android, Chrome lags like crazy on this thing.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #93,777 of 177,744
Woah, there are actually people out there who bid over 110€ on the 2.1 system I own!
And I was about to sell mine for 80€ :p
Now it's going straaaaaight to eBay.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #93,779 of 177,744
Good luck on your sale. Use the profits to plant a new tree!

Sure thing! But not now....winter is coming ^^
But until spring, I'll just use the money to get myself some new speakers.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #93,780 of 177,744
Wait, there's an iOS port of KS? What's hanako?
I'll just install gridlock sometime. Problem solved xD

Nah no port to iOS as far I know, I was talking about the port to Android. Which works surprisingly well. I played the Hanako route on Pc and the rest on Android. Oh yeah, Hanako is one of the girls in KS.

What's gridlock...? Yet to jailbreak my iTouch after my restore, and I might not since I really don't need it anymore.

Okay, I'll have to install the game on my phone, hehe. I already have 4 VNs on here but what's a couple more! :veryevil:
Gridlock lets you move icons whatever your want, regardless of whether there's an icon before it.

@HanaIro

Yet to watch the second season or the movie. I started because of the OP and ED, lol. I just haven't gotten around to the rest.

Head-fi needs an app for iOS and Android, Chrome lags like crazy on this thing.

What device is chrome lagging on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back