「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #91,667 of 177,745

The scary thing for me is since TI left the mobile CPU game, it seems we haven't seen a drastically new CPU on the android front in the last year and a half, just bumping up the clock a bit. Qualcomm could literally stop innovating the CPU market and still dominate it, probably. Plus, it would take Apple about 4 years to catch up speed wise.

I'm pretty sure the 5s just took the performance crown, but that's to be expected, the newest phones are always the fastest.

Aren't both Android and Apple phones roughly doubling in speed every year? It doesn't look like it's slowing down yet.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #91,668 of 177,745

Dayum....they want you guys to solder? Lucky, I wish my intro first year classes had stuff like this.

lol yeah, but the course content is dumb..... it's been a month now and the only things they've really taught us in engineering are:
- engineering is applied science.
- people use CAD.
- V=IR (Ohm's law)

I'm actually taking my year 1 and 2 courses at the same time to graduate a year earlier.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #91,669 of 177,745
  So guys, how's life been?

Is it still hot in HK Boris?

The transition for bowow/bowei/panda and mechy into college seems to have been fine if they're still here...

Heya~

Nah, it's better now.

lol since when is he called "bowow" ?

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #91,670 of 177,745
  So guys, how's life been? Is it still hot in HK Boris? The transition for bowow/bowei/panda and mechy into college seems to have been fine if they're still here...

Pretty good, what are you doing? College too?

I'm pretty sure the 5s just took the performance crown, but that's to be expected, the newest phones are always the fastest.

Aren't both Android and Apple phones roughly doubling in speed every year? It doesn't look like it's slowing down yet.

Every iPhone since the 4 I believe took the speed crown by a good margin.
  lol yeah, but the course content is dumb..... it's been a month now and the only things they've really taught us in engineering are:
- engineering is applied science.
- people use CAD.
- V=IR (Ohm's law)

Hmm...that sounds better than mine actually

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #91,671 of 177,745

Nexus 5 will probably be the most glorious device to hit the streets in the next 12 months. #Hype #Speculation
New Samsung? You mean the really old 6 month old one?

The scary thing for me is since TI left the mobile CPU game, it seems we haven't seen a drastically new CPU on the android front in the last year and a half, just bumping up the clock a bit. Qualcomm could literally stop innovating the CPU market and still dominate it, probably. Plus, it would take Apple about 4 years to catch up speed wise.

Hope you didn't sub to email notifications, we fly at light speed here in this thread.
Also, in response to your comment about my E07k review, I'll repost it here since I think it's a good thing to debate here:

Still the 'newest' Samsung.

Speed wise in what? Apple dominates the mobility speed market right now.

In raw GHz. I believe Apple is still rolling with dual core CPUs, correct? And only 1GB of RAM.

Just got this email....

Dear students,

You need to learn how to solder in the coming week, the link listed below is a good demonstration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

regards

(=_=)

Pretty much sums up my engineering / physics courses thus far.

LOL

Technically, because of the 64 bit CPU, yeah.

Heh, not the Moto X...

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #91,672 of 177,745
  In raw GHz. I believe Apple is still rolling with dual core CPUs, correct? And only 1GB of RAM.

LOL

Technically, because of the 64 bit CPU, yeah.

Heh, not the Moto X...

Speed crown in raw numbers belongs to others yes. 

However speed tests show that Samsung, Qualcomm and the others need to hire some of Apple's chip engineers. They are all lisencing ARM designs.

Nope, the 64bit cpu is not helping really in the speed tests. The apps don't support 64bit that run this

Efficency and getting actual performance rather than spreadsheet performance is what Apple has always been doing.

Every company has a choice. Either A) buy the SoC's from Qualcomm or Samsung or B) develop it in house.

Apple started with option A with ARM based SoC's from Samsung but moved to option B after they realized that if they did it all in house, they could levy all the performance they wanted for their own devices, and possibly do it better. Not only do they have specific designed SoC for their phones' now. They just showed that they could build a better SoC than the rest in terms of actual world performance. Qualcomm, TI(previously), and Samsung are focusing last I checked on the tid bits of the SoC design with more memory bandwith and all that. On paper, this stuff sounds nice except that it didn't really work 

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #91,673 of 177,745
From what I heard, Samsung manufactured the 5S's CPU. Why can't Samsung just steal THAT from Apple so we can get some gloriously fast Android devices over here?

Yeah yeah, I hear ya. Optimization is where it's at.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #91,674 of 177,745

Really?!
*googles*
OMG you're right!

lol I always see people looking at clock speeds when it's really got nothing much to do with computational power.... if anything, it's got more relation with power consumption.
We should really be looking at IPS or FLOPS instead.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #91,675 of 177,745

From what I heard, Samsung manufactured the 5S's CPU. Why can't Samsung just steal THAT from Apple so we can get some gloriously fast Android devices over here?

That's illegal. 
tongue.gif

I don't think the gap between Apple and Android is thaaat big, I think we'll see some great usability improvements next year once screen resolutions stop at 1080p and the SoC's have time to pull ahead.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #91,676 of 177,745

Really?!
*googles*
OMG you're right!

lol I always see people looking at clock speeds when it's really got nothing much to do with computational power.... if anything, it's got more relation with power consumption.
We should really be looking at IPS or FLOPS instead.

Yeah, it really is about optimization, much like everything Apple does. 
Meanwhile in the Windows/Android camp:

These pictures sum up most Head-fier's opinions on amps as well...

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #91,678 of 177,745
  Heya~

Nah, it's better now.

lol since when is he called "bowow" ?

Oh that's nice. Talk about party city... 
Since wink came here!
  Pretty good, what are you doing? College too?

Probably... either that or life :p

Well off to sleep. Love sleeping at normal times instead of 12-1 in the morning. Have pleasant dreams everyone :D

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #91,679 of 177,745

That's illegal. 
tongue.gif

I don't think the gap between Apple and Android is thaaat big, I think we'll see some great usability improvements next year once screen resolutions stop at 1080p and the SoC's have time to pull ahead.

Pfft, has Samsung ever cared about legality in stuff they stole from Apple before? :D

Random fact: the 8051 processor in P-H can do 1 MIPS @ 12MHz
tongue.gif

But can it run crysis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back