「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #69,092 of 177,745
Quote:
Canada has G4 and Teletoons (for Adult Swim and sometimes anime movies). No Toonami equivalent. YTV used to show stuff like Escaflowne (what got me hooked) but that's not the case anymore. And when I was in Japan we basically watched random stuff everyday after school, which is why I'm still stuck on '04-'06 shows.

I see a little bit of YTV back in the day
Quote:

No, don't you remember? Haha. Instadrop.

Yup.

NOOO!

It was so good!

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #69,093 of 177,745
Quote:
Toonami is what started most of us current day 1993-1996 kids off on anime. If you were born during those 3 years, you got the 'Toonami' treatment here in Murica if you watched CN.

Basically it played all the anime we know as classics today and got people interested. It slowly in the 2000's went to hell and lastly closed. A service called JetStream went online to show anime but it quickly died as no one cared. A few years later, and the new Toonami is back(after Toonami died, anime was shown on Adult Swim). The new Toonami doesn't show any of the shows that will probably ever become a classic. 

Actually, I used to have DirecTV and Dish network channels back then, so I basically grew up watching Disney Channel and the Cartoon Network. I remember watching a bit of Wing Gundam, but I was too immature to understand any of it. I saw the commercials for Code Lyoko, but again, too young to be excited about it. I loved watching the old cartoons on Boomerang, though. Later on, my sister watched Inuyasha on adult swim.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #69,094 of 177,745
Quote:

Actually, I used to have DirecTV and Dish network channels back then, so I basically grew up watching Disney Channel and the Cartoon Network. I remember watching a bit of Wing Gundam, but I was too immature to understand any of it. I saw the commercials for Code Lyoko, but again, too young to be excited about it. I loved watching the old cartoons on Boomerang, though. Later on, my sister watched Inuyasha on adult swim.

YES. WING. And yeah, AS showed me Inuyasha and before CN phased out good shows like Tom n Jerry, I'd watch it all at CN. Good days. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #69,095 of 177,745
Quote:

YES. WING. And yeah, AS showed me Inuyasha and before CN phased out good shows like Tom n Jerry, I'd watch it all at CN. Good days. 

Oh, and I recall watching one episode of Yu-yu Hakusho (think it was the first) on Toonami. Loved it, but had very little spare time as a kid. Never got to watch the rest of it -_-

You know what they should do? Bring Hunter x Hunter to Toonami.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #69,096 of 177,745
Quote:
Oh, and I recall watching one episode of Yu-yu Hakusho (think it was the first) on Toonami. Loved it, but had very little spare time as a kid. Never got to watch the rest of it -_-

I think Toonami's dead thoguh?
HxH 2011 w/ the revamped stuff is ok I guess lol. I can handle the older drawings since they're far from bad.

YYH. Good schiit. I finished it. Was amazing. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #69,097 of 177,745
Quote:

YES!

Wing! 

I didn't understand it but loved it.

Quote:

Inuyasha could have ended in 100 episodes and became a true accepted anime classic.
Quote:

wait what!? How did you have no time as a kid?

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #69,098 of 177,745
Quote:
I think Toonami's dead thoguh?
HxH 2011 w/ the revamped stuff is ok I guess lol. I can handle the older drawings since they're far from bad.

YYH. Good schiit. I finished it. Was amazing. 

I'm talking about the original. I dropped the new series after 20 or so episodes.
Quote:
YES!

Wing! 

Inuyasha could have ended in 100 episodes and became a true accepted anime classic.

Alright so, skating lessons on Tuesday nights (at the beginning, I've long since given up on skating), piano lessons on Wednesdays (had to get to RCM level 8, so endured nine hard years, but very good teachers all along the way), Chinese schools on Friday nights and Sunday mornings (from kindergarten to grade 10, the friday night one was up to grade 8, redundant since they used the same books, so I did double the homework), math school on Saturday mornings (grade 4 to 7, by far what I resent my parents the most for putting me through - some of the stuff that they've taught I did not see again until grade 12, others I've yet to see in university, and teachers were complete crap at explanations). Oh and rudiments/theory lessons on Saturday afternoons after math school during grade 7, where I had to deal with a crappy tutor which couldn't explain crap for her life. This was required for me to get my RCM Level 8 certificate, so I had to do it. It basically wasted my entire Saturday afternoons, and even more nights trying to do the theory homework which I couldn't understand for the life of me. I literally had no spare time in Grade 7.

My life really took a turn for the better when I entered high school. Before then, my only time of peace and solitude was when I read at night, after bedtime. The summer of my grade 8 graduation was when I got into anime by marathoning the entire Hayate no Gotoku first season in three days.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #69,099 of 177,745
Quote:
YES!

Wing! 

Meng. What you talking about. Didn't it end in 100 episodes around there? The chapters are hella lot more. O wait that was 1 season, then there was Inuyasha: the final act. Good stuff. 

How you no understand wing? Just the colonies wanting freedom from earth like UC. So they decide to drop huge thingy and Wing Zero blows it to pieces. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #69,101 of 177,745
Quote:
Meng. What you talking about. Didn't it end in 100 episodes around there? The chapters are hella lot more. O wait that was 1 season, then there was Inuyasha: the final act. Good stuff. 

How you no understand wing? Just the colonies wanting freedom from earth like UC. So they decide to drop huge thingy and Wing Zero blows it to pieces. 

besides being 9?

Quote:

I'm talking about the original. I dropped the new series after 20 or so episodes.
Alright so, skating lessons on Tuesday nights (at the beginning, I've long since given up on skating), piano lessons on Wednesdays (had to get to RCM level 8, so endured nine hard years, but very good teachers all along the way), Chinese schools on Friday nights and Sunday mornings (from kindergarten to grade 10, the friday night one was up to grade 8, redundant since they used the same books, so I did double the homework), math school on Saturday mornings (grade 4 to 7, by far what I resent my parents the most for putting me through - some of the stuff that they've taught I did not see again until grade 12, others I've yet to see in university, and teachers were complete crap at explanations). Oh and rudiments/theory lessons on Saturday afternoons after math school during grade 7, where I had to deal with a crappy tutor which couldn't explain crap for her life. This was required for me to get my RCM Level 8 certificate, so I had to do it. It basically wasted my entire Saturday afternoons, and even more nights trying to do the theory homework which I couldn't understand for the life of me. I literally had no spare time in Grade 7.

My life really took a turn for the better when I entered high school. Before then, my only time of peace and solitude was when I read at night, after bedtime. The summer of my grade 8 graduation was when I got into anime by marathoning the entire Hayate no Gotoku first season in three days.

Wow...that is worse than Haibunyan's schedule.

What is RCM?

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #69,102 of 177,745
Quote:

I can guarantee that I started watching Toonami before you did. I was too young to understand anything political (I really did not do so until Grade 4, when I asked my mom to get a daily newspaper subscription), and my packed schedule prevented me from following any timeslot for shows.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #69,103 of 177,745
Quote:
besides being 9?

What is RCM?

Royal Conservatory of Music. I still have a love/hate relationship with the piano. I haven't played it since grade 8, and for a while I would try to block out all noise when my sister was practicing (she's since got her ARCT and is a fully certified teacher).

However, I started playing the trumpet in grade 6, and I loved it. I joined my high school's enrichment band for grade 7 and 8 students, and in high school was well known by both my bandmates and other schools' conductors for my dedication to playing to the trumpet. Theory was a breeze, as my preliminary rudiments was more than enough to understand the scores.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #69,104 of 177,745
Quote:

I can guarantee that I started watching Toonami before you did. I was too young to understand anything political (I really did not do so until Grade 4, when I asked my mom to get a daily newspaper subscription), and my packed schedule prevented me from following any timeslot for shows.

You more than likely did lol. Dang man, going to the extreme to watch a show. And you've studied music via conservatory? Badass man. 

Quote:
besides being 9?

What is RCM?

iono i watched it around 12 and it made sense for me. Probably because you were 9. But you didn't mention it 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back